The Yipee my starter set has arrived thread

For Kickstarter related discussion and chatter
OrlandotheTech

The Yipee my starter set has arrived thread

Postby OrlandotheTech » Sun May 19, 2013 8:50 am

Yes kids posting of the Brythoniaid Dyndraig, Fomoraic Tarvax and Ysian Ax-Drune starters (plus associated extras) is scheduled to start tomorrow

I'm so excited :lol:

So here's a threat to post on when yours arrives ;)
Rick_Boer

Re: The Yipee my starter set has arrived thread

Postby Rick_Boer » Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

So..Is this a threat or a thread? ;)
Azhrarn

Postby Azhrarn » Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 am

Mine are being clustered later by request, so I'll get all 3 starters (Brythoniaid, Fomoraic Srónax and Norse) at the same time in June when the Norse ship. :shock: :lol:
That's going to be quite a substantial package I imagine. :mrgreen:
War Beckons, and I Answer
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Well Monday's here and several posters in the KS comments have reported that starter sets (and associated other minis) have moved from 'packing' to 'completed' (included mine, yippee)

so hopefully that means they're on their way

who'll report the first happy arrival :o
EVL HMR

Postby EVL HMR » Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 am

My orders are saying completed and I've received emails confirming they have been posted. Unfortunately, I'm still in Melbourne so won't be in London until the 28th. I'll ask my parents to confirm everything. Its like Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one for grown ups. :mrgreen:
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”Lance Armstrong
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Tue May 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Well my postman has come and gone so I now need to wait eagerly for tomorrow :cry:

hopefully then...... ;)
Rick_Boer

Postby Rick_Boer » Tue May 21, 2013 4:58 pm

I have the next 2 days off from work, so I'm going to stare out of the window untill my package arrives..
Chad

Postby Chad » Wed May 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Just arrived now :)

Time to get building :)
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Wed May 22, 2013 6:06 pm

There here, a nice big carboard box....

and inside Tarvrax and Brythonaid starters

The starters each come with the appropriate bases, dice, tokens and of course the minis themselves

Last edited by OrlandotheTech on Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Wed May 22, 2013 6:22 pm

So having had no real time to look at these here are my first impressions

An excellent general standing of casting, all casting gates etc have been left on for you to clean up yourself which is the best way to do it

I'll need to look at each piece in more detail to be certain, but if all are as good as Urbad and Beowa which I've looked at in more detail, great!
(the only issue I see at first glance is Aradae Mawr where some of the bits are in a darker resin that does not look to have held the detail as well, but this may be an optical illusion)

The dice are really nice and sound great on the table (if we could have got faction colours it would have been even better, but these dice are great)

The tokens are laser cut/etched wood, the cut is angled which is presumably to aid manufacture, but also make picking them up easy too

The bases are decent (and more importantly lie flat on the table), however the support underneath clearly shows through so you'll to at least do some basic (ho, ho) basework to camouflage this, and I suspect nobody elses resin base toppers will fit so the sooner Mierce can get some done the better for the less creative amongst us.

A couple more shots, Urbad

and Mawdred

zedmeister

Postby zedmeister » Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Nice haul! Mine won't be here until the next round of postings
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Wed May 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I must confess there are a few more I haven't had the chance to look at yet

(the cats need their dinner, and hungry cats wanting attention and resin minis on a table don't mix to well so I had to stop)

more pics later if I get the chance
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm

quick pic of Dungann and the giant magical rock

Sorn

Postby Sorn » Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for posting. The models look great!
RayzrYR

Postby RayzrYR » Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 am

Very nice, thanks for the pics!
grefven

Postby grefven » Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Err.. You better do a good paintjob on that rock. It might risk looking like a giant .... otherwise. :/
Picklechu

Postby Picklechu » Fri May 24, 2013 12:31 pm

My Tarvax arrived today- SOOOO YUMMY!
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Excellent news

so are you going to admire them 'in bag' for a while, or get straight down to assembly/painting ?

(I've started cleaning up Dungann & Urbad and hope to at least have them fully assembled by the end of the bank holiday weekend)
Picklechu

Postby Picklechu » Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Oh ya, straight on with it!

MOO!

grefven

Postby grefven » Sat May 25, 2013 5:54 am

I definately want the left one of the two above. :p I hope they wont cost a fortune solo. :)
razormage

Postby razormage » Wed May 29, 2013 1:25 pm

My order has gone into the joyous Packing stage! At this point, it's a race to see who gets their Kickstarter models to me first: Reaper, Mierce, or Mantic. I'm pulling for you, Mierce!
My only question is why the Galhwch Lladd Llaw I ordered on his own isn't included in the stuff they're packing up... maybe they're focused on starters and don't want to cast the champion just on his own. Or, more likely, my order's just too dang big and he got missed in the shuffle! Can't wait for that new resin smell and to get painting on them.
razormage

Postby razormage » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 pm

When I got home yesterday, to my joy, was a big box from Mierce Miniatures. It immediately became a battle of wills for me to not open the box - my wife was enjoying her first night out since our son was born, I was watching the baby and our toddler, and I have a Vampire Counts army I have to finish painting in the next two weeks.
It sat there. I played with my kids. I put my toddler to bed. I looked at the box. I gave my baby a bottle. I watched the replay of the last quarter of my local basketball team dismantling their opponents in the NBA finals. I looked over at the Vampire Counts models that I really should be painting. I looked at the box again.
Oh, look! Somehow it got opened! How did that happen? I guess now there's nothing left to do but begin to go through it.
Unfortunately, circumstances did not permit me to do anything more than lay the contents out and do a quick inventory. That "anything more" consisted of looking at certain models over and over again, chuckle to myself in a way that alarmed my wife once she got home, and think of color schemes.
Each model is individually wrapped in a ziplock bag. For the kickstarter faction army deals, the individual models are also grouped into a larger bag, to keep everything together. The bases are in the bag with the individual models, if they fit (Magnir's didn't), or in the larger bag if part of the factions. The contents of the box were wrapped in bubble wrap, but the box was so full that there wasn't a lot of room for movement. Mierce has chosen to ship the kickstarter stuff without the normal commercial packaging (boxes and blisters). I think it's a great move for a couple of reasons: it deters people from trying to flip the deals on eBay, it makes it much easier to ship (less wasted space than you'd have with blisters or boxes), and it encourages people to put stuff together! I have a ton of Mierce stuff still sitting in the boxes, but the Kickstarter items will probably be unpacked and assembled before I start diving into those boxes, because the models are right in front of me.
I'll do detailed model reviews as I start building them, but the quality on these guys is amazing. The sculpts look fantastic. At least one model looked like it had a ton of resin flashing, but it looked like the paper-thin kind that just wipes off. I saw no broken pieces or warping on the initial inspection, which reassured me as well - resin models don't always hold up well sitting in a metal mailbox in the Texas summer!
The dice look great and I can't wait to use them. The action markers are nice, but I will probably end up making my own with a bit more than the faction symbol and the words. These are just a bit too simplistic for what I want, but you can't argue with something that wasn't remotely the reason you jumped in on the Kickstarter!
Here's a final shot of the contents of this box all spread out and labeled.
I can't wait to start gluing!
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Lovely.

I am all jealousy, and waiting for my Trolls to hopefully come soonish (I think that was the latest on expected Troll shipping).

Then Angelcynn in July and a few more bits later :lol:
grefven

Postby grefven » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Oohh.. Look at all that. :p
RayzrYR

Postby RayzrYR » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 am

Wow! Strange how that box just popped open by itself! Must be some sort of chemical by-product of awesomely crafted resin components :mrgreen:
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 am

Excellent stuff

that lot will keep you busy for a good long while!
zedmeister

Postby zedmeister » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:04 pm

First part of my order has arrived! Now time to happily pour through this lot...
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Tell me about it,

I've just finished putting together the Gabrax (& Chaggmuth on his boar) this weekend

they're all such nice pieces I've got to get them 'perfect' so it's taking a lot longer than expected (not helped by dropping the halberd on one breaking it into 4 pieces :o requiring micro pining and greenstuff reconstruction)

next Carowek on Horse and the Brythonaid starter, which I've done the rough clean up on, next mould line removal, fine sanding and assembly :lol:

Return to “Darklands Kickstarter Projects”