Are the harpoon walvax a ranged unit ?

For discussion of Fomoraic hosts and their strategies and tactics
antoine

Are the harpoon walvax a ranged unit ?

Postby antoine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Tested the walvax recently, and wonder how to use them. I shot and dragged a duguth and butchered him on the ground, which is always fun but not really convincing. I intended to focus on a Maegenwulf but had no occasion to do so. With a maximum of 3 shoot dice of skill 30, the harpoons seem useless on Infantry, maybe they should only be used on monstruous Infantry or beasts, and maybe only focusing on one single warrior, low-skilled enoug but not too meaty if supposed to be dragged ? Well, hard to figur out what to do with these weapons... What do you think?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Are the harpoon walvax a ranged unit ?

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 am

That is pretty much how I intended the Walvax; to Shoot and Drag bigger things. As you say, they're not really that effective as infantry killers. Think of them as beast killers!

Cheers
Rob
antoine

Postby antoine » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Even if their harpoon might not be useful at every game, depending on what's on the battlefield, they're good enough in combat, especially when emerging.
Scavenger

Postby Scavenger » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:27 pm

I have been wondering about them as well, like can they function independently or do they need a support unit to assist them something heavy hitting like sronax
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Scavenger wrote:I have been wondering about them as well, like can they function independently or do they need a support unit to assist them something heavy hitting like sronax

When I play Fomoraic with Walvax, I usually do have a unit of Sronax as support as heavy hitters and a good stay around unit.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Scavenger

Postby Scavenger » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Ok! That's what I had a feeling of, I'm sure a dainoch , mallox or a feleox or two could possibly be a suitable alternative

Return to “Fomoraic”