BUCKEYE BATTLES 2016 Recap

For players in the USA and Canada to introduce themselves.
Dan Pratt

BUCKEYE BATTLES 2016 Recap

Postby Dan Pratt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:28 am

Darklands Fans of North America (and everywhere else!),

First a bit about Buckeye:
Buckeye Battles has been on of the biggest WHFB tournaments in the Midwest for the past 10 years. Recently, with the transition from 8th Ed to AoS, the community has opted instead to play 9th Age, a community built ruleset addressing many issues with 8th Ed (or so I am told). Buckeye is typically held annually in July at Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio (i.e., north of Columbus) on a Friday-Sat-Sun. Friday is typically a team event with Sat & Sun consisting of the Grand Tournament. This year as mentioned, everyone was playing 9th Age with a good sized 40K tournament happening concurrently. It's three days of fun, gaming, and camaraderie culminating in a presentation of awards and prizes.

Enter Darklands:
This year, with some support from Mierce Miniatures and some teamwork between myself and Dustin (aka "That Guy"), DARKLANDS was displayed prominently right between the 9th Age and 40K players (i.e., in everyone's way 8-) ):

Dustin and I ran Anglecynn (Mierce) and Brythoniaid (Gynedd w/ Gwaelod allies) Battle Hosts, respectively. We played continuously all day for 3 days against each other, frequently stopping to answer questions, talk about the rules, models, fluff, and letting people jump in and be the general for a while. It was a blast:

With the help of Mierce, we were able to hand out £5 to anyone that talked to us, £40 pounds each to the best general, best painted, and last place, and raffle off 5 Darklands: First Edition Rulebooks (to get a ticket for the skull you had to play with us and show some genuine interest (we don't want to see these books on eBay).

That's Dustin in the Punisher shirt. Although not as good looking as me, he is great about bringing people in (or bribing them with beers).

Overall, our presence w/ Mierce's support was highly successful in spreading the word about Darklands and generating some genuine interest. Evidence of the strength of the ruleset, miniatures, and fluff has been presented directly to a large core group of some of the most active gamers in this part of the US. We eagerly await representing Mierce again in 2017.

This will be an exciting year. The rulebook is out. An ever growing horde of completed models are reaching the hands of Kickstarter backers. followed by the general public. Many gamers are looking for something new and exciting to play and simply are not yet aware that Darklands exists as a game. All of this is building towards the perfect storm of ascendancy for Darklands. But as any tabletop gamer knows, if you want a game to thrive , you need PEOPLE to play it against. We need YOU to help build a community here in the US. We dream of seeing several tables running Darklands next year at Buckeye. Come on up/down/over and hang out with us (or crash an event in your part of the country!). Plan out your host and start working on it now. Let's continue to communicate and see if we can get some games going and build a network of players. The future is bright.
Beire

Re: BUCKEYE BATTLES 2016 Recap

Postby Beire » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 am

The table and models look amazing guys, well done on spreading the word!
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:32 am

Thank you very much for the time and effort you´ve put into the promotion of Darklands!

A very nice table and awesome Miniatures, I am sure you have convinced many of the participants - thanks for sharing those pictures!
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:18 pm

I've been inexcusably silent lately. I apologize
I can say,without any hesitation, Buckeye Battles was amazing. We got nothing but positive feedback at every turn. We actually had the best problem imaginable all weekend long, in that we did not get to play very much at all, the largest portion of our time was spent spreading the Darklands gospel. It was literally exhausting and a few weeks after the fact, i have nearly recovered.
Everyone that stopped to talk to us was thoroughly interested by time they walked away and every single person that took the time to roll dice were wide eyed and jaws agape when they left us. It was very rewarding.
Beer was drank. Dice were rolled. Minds were blown.
Thanks Dan for "Forcing the Initiative" on this one.

Return to “USA/Canada”