Attack Action

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Icchan

Attack Action

Postby Icchan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm

After reading the Attack action rules for a hundredth time, I'm none the wiser so with my hat in my hand I turn to wise in search of clarity.
Let's say I have a big unit of twenty Holumenn do an indirect engagement to an enemy unit of twenty Wihtgars. After completing my move, let's say fifteen of my Holumenn are engaged, the rest trailing behind. After the engaged Holumenn have finished their Attack action, do I get to do an Attack Move to get the rest of the Holumenn in attack range and finish their Attack action before the Wihtgars Attack reaction?
In another thread Rob said that Attacking warriors that hadn't yet Attacked in the Combat action can do their Attack action after the opponent finishes his Attack reaction, but I'm stumped regarding the rules where it says this is allowed. Also, how many times these actions and reactions go on and is there an Attack Move inbetween all of them? Until all warriors in both units have Attacked? What if warriors that have already attack are blocking the moves of warriors that haven't yet Attacked?

Attack action is the most confusing rule for me in the game so I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Brightblade

Re: Attack Action

Postby Brightblade » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 am

The scenerio of the original post is that some of the infantry were not in combat range so could not attack, when the defending unit reacted they attack moved to get all thier warriors into combat range, by doing this they were now in combat range of the remining infantry that could not attack in the original attack sequence.

So once the defending unit had finished their attack move reaction, my remaining warriors who were now in combat range attacked, but they had not moved into combat, they had become within attack range due to the opponents Attack Move Reaction.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am

Icchan wrote:After reading the Attack action rules for a hundredth time, I'm none the wiser so with my hat in my hand I turn to wise in search of clarity.
Let's say I have a big unit of twenty Holumenn do an indirect engagement to an enemy unit of twenty Wihtgars. After completing my move, let's say fifteen of my Holumenn are engaged, the rest trailing behind. After the engaged Holumenn have finished their Attack action, do I get to do an Attack Move to get the rest of the Holumenn in attack range and finish their Attack action before the Wihtgars Attack reaction?

No, they don't get to do an Attack Move; but after the Wihtgar attacks - and if any are now in attack range of the Wihtgar - they can Attack them.

Icchan wrote:In another thread Rob said that Attacking warriors that hadn't yet Attacked in the Combat action can do their Attack action after the opponent finishes his Attack reaction, but I'm stumped regarding the rules where it says this is allowed. Also, how many times these actions and reactions go on and is there an Attack Move inbetween all of them? Until all warriors in both units have Attacked? What if warriors that have already attack are blocking the moves of warriors that haven't yet Attacked?

Attack action is the most confusing rule for me in the game so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

It's on p205/206. The key phrase is Combat action. That means both Attacking and Attack Reacting units; the Attacking unit must Attack until there are no more Attack actions to perform in the Combat action.

Even so - I can definitely see why it can be confusing, so I'll add something in after 6.20.7.2 to make it clearer.

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:49 pm

That is excellent news.
One more thing: when a unit of warriors that only has one combat weapon attacks but some of it's warriors are unengaged at the time of the first attack, does that count as those warriors not having attacked yet?
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Yes, the unengaged warriors have not attacked so can attack if they become engaged through enemy movement.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Ok so how is it different then when let's say a noble joined to the unit strikes first and as a result some warriors become unengaged they get to make a new Attack Move (unless I've misunderstood this part)?
I hope I'm making sense, but there's an example of this in the rulebook as well, 6.20.6.4.1 - Disengaging and Re-engaging. Is this because of those warriors that could have attacked but then can't because enemy warriors were removed prior to their own attack?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:54 am

Icchan wrote:Ok so how is it different then when let's say a noble joined to the unit strikes first and as a result some warriors become unengaged they get to make a new Attack Move (unless I've misunderstood this part)?

That's different because the Attacking unit has, to all intents and purposes, finished all of its Attack actions for that Combat action; everybody that could Attack has Attacked, within the constraints of disengaging and re-engaging.

In the case of Attacking after the Attack reaction, more enemies have appeared and the Attacking unit now has some warriors that are now engaged that couldn't Attack beforehand.

This mechanic is a little poorly explained, but hopefully the addenda has ensured it's covered now.

Icchan wrote:I hope I'm making sense, but there's an example of this in the rulebook as well, 6.20.6.4.1 - Disengaging and Re-engaging. Is this because of those warriors that could have attacked but then can't because enemy warriors were removed prior to their own attack?

Yes.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”