First Game Rules Questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
KingTiddles

First Game Rules Questions

Postby KingTiddles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:05 am

Hiya,

So last night me and my mate got our first game played and a whole host of questions arose (pun intended)

I'm writing these off the top of my head so there may well be more questions that I've forgotten.

Frenzy:

Can a non-feral model become Frenzy?

If you have a Frenzy token, (as a feral) can you get an exult as well, thus removing the Frenzy token?

Towards the start of the rulebook it lists only two ways of removing frenzy - both of which come from losing combat. Are these the only two ways?

Difference between charge and non charge engagements

Am I right in thinking that a charge is just a direct engagement and can be swift (run speed) or normal (walk speed), the only difference being you need LOS before hand and you have to move in a straight line and if you do that you get your charge bonuses?

Muster Building

In the Muster Rules PDF online, we both got a bit confused as to whether or not 2x Common units are compulsory to take or not. I'm under the belief that they are not - it is only the mainstay per command that is compulsory. However, the table is a bit confusing as it has a 2 under 'minimum to take', I believe this is just in reference to two influenced units counting as one mainstay?

Trolll Strengths

The Jarl and the caster troll my mate has state they are strength 1 despite being on a 60mm base. He's hoping this is a typo? We played them as strength 4 anyways.

Many thanks for all the help. Had a fun game and really appreciate the reference sheets I found here in the forums - they were a huge help.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: First Game Rules Questions

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:57 pm

KingTiddles wrote:Hiya,

So last night me and my mate got our first game played and a whole host of questions arose (pun intended)

I'm writing these off the top of my head so there may well be more questions that I've forgotten.

Frenzy:

Can a non-feral model become Frenzy?

Yes; usually through invocations (magic), but sometimes other ways (Goad action) etc.

KingTiddles wrote:If you have a Frenzy token, (as a feral) can you get an exult as well, thus removing the Frenzy token?

No - a unit can never have a frenzy token and an exulted token.

KingTiddles wrote:Towards the start of the rulebook it lists only two ways of removing frenzy - both of which come from losing combat. Are these the only two ways?

Yes.

KingTiddles wrote:Difference between charge and non charge engagements

Am I right in thinking that a charge is just a direct engagement and can be swift (run speed) or normal (walk speed), the only difference being you need LOS before hand and you have to move in a straight line and if you do that you get your charge bonuses?

Correct!

KingTiddles wrote:Muster Building

In the Muster Rules PDF online, we both got a bit confused as to whether or not 2x Common units are compulsory to take or not. I'm under the belief that they are not - it is only the mainstay per command that is compulsory. However, the table is a bit confusing as it has a 2 under 'minimum to take', I believe this is just in reference to two influenced units counting as one mainstay?

Mainstay is compulsory; 2x common are not and yes, it's referencing the two influenced units.

Mustering is changing very shortly, and it will be a lot simpler - and a lot more graphical!

KingTiddles wrote:Trolll Strengths

The Jarl and the caster troll my mate has state they are strength 1 despite being on a 60mm base. He's hoping this is a typo? We played them as strength 4 anyways.

They're strength (soon to be called mass) 4.

KingTiddles wrote:Many thanks for all the help. Had a fun game and really appreciate the reference sheets I found here in the forums - they were a huge help.

Mate no worries - glad you enjoyed it!

If you get a chance to come up to the Coffa Tree event or at some of the guys local to you that will be a huge help too.

Cheers
Rob
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:57 pm

Cheers Rob!

Won’t be able to make that event but organised a game before hand with the chaps in Coventry, so definitely looking forward to that. Also got the Gotham to Samaria event where a bunch of us will be learning through the game together too.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:40 pm

KingTiddles wrote:Cheers Rob!

Won’t be able to make that event but organised a game before hand with the chaps in Coventry, so definitely looking forward to that. Also got the Gotham to Samaria event where a bunch of us will be learning through the game together too.

Remember your coming up to Rugeley too on the July 7th for our Gaming Day..

And the question about Frenzied, as Rob mentioned some units can become Frenzied through Invocations, these Frenzied units depending on the Invoke do not stay Frenzied and may lose their Frenzied status at the end of their Activation..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Brightblade wrote:

And the question about Frenzied, as Rob mentioned some units can become Frenzied through Invocations, these Frenzied units depending on the Invoke do not stay Frenzied and may lose their Frenzied status at the end of their Activation..

Yeah sorry, I meant Rugeley not Coventry!

Trying to get painted up for the 7th July event, can't wait :)

That's good to know. Do they auto lose Frenzied or do most invocations state how it's lost?

Cheers!
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Quick rules question sorry:

Does parry on equipment stack? E.g. if I have a sword and a shield with parry, do I get -2 ?
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:34 pm

KingTiddles wrote:
Brightblade wrote:

Yeah sorry, I meant Rugeley not Coventry!

Trying to get painted up for the 7th July event, can't wait :)

That's good to know. Do they auto lose Frenzied or do most invocations state how it's lost?

Cheers!

Pretty much all the Invocations that turn a unit to Frenzy will say how long it lasts, usually until the end of the Unit's Activation.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:39 pm

KingTiddles wrote:Quick rules question sorry:

Does parry on equipment stack? E.g. if I have a sword and a shield with parry, do I get -2 ?

I don't think they do, if you are using a 1 handed option on the Sword then you parry with the Shield, if you are using the Sword 2 handed then you parry with the sword..

But Parry's only count when the attacker is the same Mass (Strength) as you or less..

KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 pm

That's fantastic to hear, thanks for clarifying!

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”