Hold And ... Reaction - When to apply

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Brightblade

Hold And ... Reaction - When to apply

Postby Brightblade » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Rob,

We know that units can perform a Hold And reaction, such as Hold and Gaze, Hold and Invoke, Hold and Shoot... etc..

But does this only apply when the Holding unit is being Directly engaged, as in a charge attack, or does it also apply when being Indirectly Attacked as in walking, running into attack?
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Hold And ... Reaction - When to apply

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 am

Brightblade wrote:Rob,

We know that units can perform a Hold And reaction, such as Hold and Gaze, Hold and Invoke, Hold and Shoot... etc..

But does this only apply when the Holding unit is being Directly engaged, as in a charge attack, or does it also apply when being Indirectly Attacked as in walking, running into attack?

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Rob Lane wrote:

Cheers
Rob

What has the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything have to do with it... :lol:
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Read the rulebook mate, it's all in there...

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 am

If I remember correctly (don't have the rulebook with me, house plumbing is being fixed), the engaged unit could react before or after the movement as they choose, as long as they could see the enemy unit or could react anyway (not weary or engaged).
But my memory fails me sometimes, so you'd better double check. I believe it was in the rule about engaging. Or failing that, in the reaction rules.
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:31 am

I was having a look at this myself and if it isn't a direct engage you can declare the reaction either at the start of their engagement to your unit, as they become engaged or after any valour tests have been taken. (Page 157, opposite 156 as it has a picture over the number)
Valour tests may change the situation of course, for example if the engaging unit is fearsome or terrifying, if this is failed it may result in an involuntary or compulsive reaction, such as a flee or panic reaction.

Another example of a compulsive reaction would be a counter-engage from a feral and/or frenzied unit.

For direct, you can declare those same voluntary reactions (i.e. shoot, hold, invoke, withdraw etc..) immediately after any valour tests have been taken and passed, or they perform involuntary and compulsive ones immediately after the engage distance is measured (the distance combining the engaging unit's pace movement and the combat weapon with the longest reach that can currently be used). Again the involuntary could be a result of the valour tests or because of other reasons (see counter-engage above).

This is also a different reaction than a reaction declared for an attack reaction, which comes once the unit is engaged by the engaging unit. Though vigor restrictions (and others like invoker tolerance) still apply.

If I got any of that wrong, let me know.

PS: Take a look at the withdraw reaction, that's something we need to make more use of.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Brightblade wrote:But does this only apply when the Holding unit is being Directly engaged, as in a charge attack, or does it also apply when being Indirectly Attacked as in walking, running into attack?

With regret I can't string this along any longer, any type of Engagement can have a Hold and... reaction, with exceptions (such as Ambush), as long as the Engaged unit can do so.

It's all in section 7.10. Read it.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”