Rules quirks/notes for consideration

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Kenton

Rules quirks/notes for consideration

Postby Kenton » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:42 pm

I thought I'd start a thread to collate constructive comment on rules;

2.3.8.8 - if we're rounding to the nearest inch why is the minimum 0.5"? :)

More later . . .
Kenton

Re: Rules quirks/notes for consideration

Postby Kenton » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:00 pm

P.29 example, I think the Werewulfas is the wrong way round in the picture.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Sigh... I can't resist.

2.3.8.8 - bloody good spot. That should be just "rounding up any fractions to the nearest inch"

P.29 example - you are correct, good spot! I'll turn him around. That's what happens when you're doing things at 10pm on a Friday night...

Thanks Kenton.
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:00 pm

No worries, no response required. I'll post 'em as I spot em and you can get em sorted. That's what KS and beta is about after all :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:20 pm

No worries!

But... please don't use the "beta" word... it's one of my irrational pet hates. "Beta!" Bah! These rules are no such thing, they're not second, nor are they a program!

(can you hear the sound of my Enguish... geddit)

Rob
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:41 am

Fair enough.

8.2.2.6 the wounded warrior.

Whilst I completely understand and agree with this concept from a bookkeeping simplification point of view it effectively means that monstrous (and other) infantry units can be able to ignore and loss of attack dice through injury as long as they have a single model out of the combat currently being resolved.

If I therefore attack two units with my monstrous infantry and engage with all of them, assume one is on only 1 constitution, I should lose some attack dice. The wounded warrior rule will ensure that I lose none. Even if we do pick one to lose dice who gets to do it needs to be cleared up.

I'm afraid that I think it needs to be marked but must still be first removed - this also leaves opportunity for manipulation but at least the damage penalty is applied. If there was no penalty for being damaged then this would not be an issue.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 am

Whilst I completely understand and agree with this concept from a bookkeeping simplification point of view it effectively means that monstrous (and other) infantry units can be able to ignore and loss of attack dice through injury as long as they have a single model out of the combat currently being resolved.

Indeed so, but only through injury. If a warrior is dead, it's removed from play.

If I therefore attack two units with my monstrous infantry and engage with all of them, assume one is on only 1 constitution, I should lose some attack dice. The wounded warrior rule will ensure that I lose none. Even if we do pick one to lose dice who gets to do it needs to be cleared up.

I'm really not sure what you mean - you do lose attack dice because the wounded warrior is engaged in the example you've given (The Wounded Warrior, third paragraph). This is the relevant rule:

"If all of the Attacking unit's warriors are engaged in combat, the Attacker may choose which warrior is the wounded warrior when Attacking; for the wounded warrior could of course have reduced attack dice. Otherwise, a warrior that is not engaged in combat is the wounded warrior whilst his unit is Attacking. This is only right, for wounded warriors would hang back rather than put themselves further at risk."

So if all of your monstrous infantry is engaged, you choose which one is the wounded warrior and thus the one with reduced attack dice.

I'm afraid that I think it needs to be marked but must still be first removed - this also leaves opportunity for manipulation but at least the damage penalty is applied. If there was no penalty for being damaged then this would not be an issue.

I think you've read it wrong to be honest - there is a penalty for being wounded.

You have to understand one thing here: we want miniatures to kill each other. The more attack dice that can be applied, the better we like it. In this instance, we could have forced one miniature engaged to be the wounded warrior; but we chose not to.

Cheers

Rob
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 pm

I think you're right. I didn't read carefully enough. I'll be more careful.

Cheers.
Arden

Postby Arden » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm

P2.
Please rephrase the following sentence: 'WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY' to say 'REQUIREMENTS TO PLAY' as the former has a different meaning.

P2.
Please rephrase the following: 'These rules' (under the header 'WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY' to either say 'These quickstarter rules' or 'Quickstarter rules' as it is good to note which rules/what kind of rulebook the user is reading.

P2.
Change the following sentence: 'In effect the QuickStarter rules are the very basic rules of Darklands,' to be 'In effect the QuickStarter rules hold only the most basic of rules of Darklands,'.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Arden

P2.
Please rephrase the following sentence: 'WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY' to say 'REQUIREMENTS TO PLAY' as the former has a different meaning.

I'm happy with "What you need to play".

P2.
Please rephrase the following: 'These rules' (under the header 'WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY' to either say 'These quickstarter rules' or 'Quickstarter rules' as it is good to note which rules/what kind of rulebook the user is reading.

Indeed so, I'll change that.

P2.
Change the following sentence: 'In effect the QuickStarter rules are the very basic rules of Darklands,' to be 'In effect the QuickStarter rules hold only the most basic of rules of Darklands,'.

I'm happy with the current sentence I'm afraid!

Keep it up though, I'm always happy to receive this kind of thing.

Cheers

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”