WINTER 2022 - Updated Musters and Muster Rules

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

WINTER 2022 - Updated Musters and Muster Rules

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:19 pm

Miercenaries!

All of the kindred musters and the muster rules, along with the main rules, have been updated for winter 2023. The next update will be on the 1st of April 2023, for spring!

Download them here: https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=drm

The muster rules and kindred musters now have a wendlist - meaning, a change list - which outlines exactly what has changed from the previous version. This is at the start for each muster and at the end of the muster rules document. Be sure to give them a read!

This means I won't update you on any changes here except for the larger ones, which are:

v2.03 RULES
1 - Difficult Moves and Slow Moves have been revised.
2 - Warriors now declare the attack dice in an Attack action per combat weapon, ensuring unused weapons are not declared for already destroyed enemies
3 - A Charge Attack action will allow fated strikes regardless of comparative SKILL
4 - Warriors can only successfully Grab if they have as many strike dice as that enemy's mass.

v2.03 MUSTER RULES AND MUSTERS
1 - The muster rules have been split into Apprentice, Journeyman and Master levels to reduce complexity for new players.
2 - The artefact limit for all kindreds has been increased to 10% of a host's total silver cost rather than 5%.
3 - The Jutes, Albainn and Fomoraic (Cursed Herd) now have artefact lists!

Please look out for typos and calculation errors, and of course please please please playtest them to death!

Cheers
Rob
jereme

Re: WINTER 2022 - Updated Musters and Muster Rules

Postby jereme » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:30 pm

nevermind
jereme

Postby jereme » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:04 pm

Brythoniad muster: Prifdyndraig command, Cadben Companion warchief line has the Realm below the unit name instead of above. Ieuan Longshore's command has the same issue with sell-sword units (which are shown as "Sell-Sword" and "Sell-Swords").
Norse muster: Troll Konungr, Halftroll Jarl, Troll Jarl Kappi companion warchief has realm below unit name. Sell-Sword commanders have realm below the unit name.

I haven't looked at other kindred musters.

Alternately, should there be another block on the commands page talking about the meaning of the realm name under the unit name in addition to the block that reads "If the realm is noted above the unit name..."
jereme

Postby jereme » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:31 pm

More Brythoniaid muster: Hudwocor's crackflint rule makes mention of "dewinwocor", which should probably read "hudwocor". Rules for Dragontooth artefact are clipped top and bottom.
jereme

Postby jereme » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:54 pm

Norse muster: I'd suggest that Hrafn have "worthless". Although I do like this: "Sven, the crows have flown away. We should follow them to safety!"
Veithmann appear as Njósn in their wound tracker.
Kragnorak

Postby Kragnorak » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:05 am

Rob Lane wrote:Miercenaries!

v2.03 MUSTER RULES AND MUSTERS
1 - The muster rules have been split into Apprentice, Journeyman and Master levels to reduce complexity for new players.

Cheers
Rob

Questions... I may be blind, but are the single-sheet starter command lists available for the Apprentice muster rules yet? Are the playtest versions hidden in these forums somewhere I missed, for example?

I think this is a great idea for persons like my wife, whose actual rocket scientist father made her allergic to maths :D . I'd like to suggest/request that as well as having downloadable sheets of starter commands from every host and kindred, the starter commands for each host should be nestled in each realm's muster rules, perhaps after the artifact page to keep them separate visually, or even as the last page.

Will they always or only sometimes correlate with the starter commands that can be purchased? I know there are some physical starter commands that are technically illegal, but the Evil Empire has a thing called Battalions which are a way to thematically bend the rules. I'm thinking that the starter commands could be baked into the rules with ad hoc costs (whether discount or surcharge) that could make them an option or starting point beyond Apprentice-level.

Example: The Bow-Annik Ysian Starter Host is not legal under the rules. The Battle-Drune with War Bow can command a bow-drune unit, but not the corrupters. Adding the points of that pack, a Battle-Drune with War Bow is 29 pts, a unit of 10 Bow-Drunes is 47 pts, and a unit of 3 Brute-Corruptoprs is 90 pts. The total point value of this starter command is normally 166 pts, but you could add a surcharge due to the fact that the units don't work well together in "real life", and add this starter command to the Ysians muster list at a simple cost of 190 pts. A more sympatico starter command could be rounded down for a slight discount, or simply kept the same to avoid abuse by min/maxers.

Anyways, just some ideas to potentially help get the ball rolling for new generals or even semi-experienced ones looking to start a new army. I'm excited for any ideas that will help spread this game across the planet. The Call to Arms calculator is a fantastic idea!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:15 am

Kragnorak wrote:Questions... I may be blind, but are the single-sheet starter command lists available for the Apprentice muster rules yet? Are the playtest versions hidden in these forums somewhere I missed, for example?

Sadly not... I just haven't had the time to get them done. Rest assured, they are on my list, but doing them is going to take a long time - possibly months; first of all I have to work out prices, then what goes in the commands, then I have to do graphics and put them on the webstore, then the muster for them. It will be a while I'm afraid!

Kragnorak wrote:I think this is a great idea for persons like my wife, whose actual rocket scientist father made her allergic to maths :D . I'd like to suggest/request that as well as having downloadable sheets of starter commands from every host and kindred, the starter commands for each host should be nestled in each realm's muster rules, perhaps after the artifact page to keep them separate visually, or even as the last page.

However I organise it, they will definitely be downloadable or included somewhere, have no fear of that.

Kragnorak wrote:Will they always or only sometimes correlate with the starter commands that can be purchased? I know there are some physical starter commands that are technically illegal, but the Evil Empire has a thing called Battalions which are a way to thematically bend the rules. I'm thinking that the starter commands could be baked into the rules with ad hoc costs (whether discount or surcharge) that could make them an option or starting point beyond Apprentice-level

Possibly, is all I'd say here, but more likely than not I'll make sure they all correspond with the proper journeyman / master mustering; for the simple reason being I don't want people to play at apprentice and then move on and be disappointed.

Kragnorak wrote:Example: The Bow-Annik Ysian Starter Host is not legal under the rules. The Battle-Drune with War Bow can command a bow-drune unit, but not the corrupters. Adding the points of that pack, a Battle-Drune with War Bow is 29 pts, a unit of 10 Bow-Drunes is 47 pts, and a unit of 3 Brute-Corruptoprs is 90 pts. The total point value of this starter command is normally 166 pts, but you could add a surcharge due to the fact that the units don't work well together in "real life", and add this starter command to the Ysians muster list at a simple cost of 190 pts. A more sympatico starter command could be rounded down for a slight discount, or simply kept the same to avoid abuse by min/maxers.

That would simply disappear I'm afraid, that starter host; it would be replaced by a different starter command. That's all I can really say as I've not really looked at the Ysians yet; but all of the starter commands will follow the main muster chart. The ax-drunes, for example, will be 20 ax-drunes and then 10x bow-drunes with Annik or whoever. The brute starter command will be Brugg plus 5 brutes plus some corruptors, etc. etc.

Anyways, just some ideas to potentially help get the ball rolling for new generals or even semi-experienced ones looking to start a new army. I'm excited for any ideas that will help spread this game across the planet. The Call to Arms calculator is a fantastic idea![/quote]

When it gets done ;o) Again, that will take a while. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Cheers
Rob
Kragnorak

Postby Kragnorak » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:02 am

Rob Lane wrote:
Kragnorak wrote:Questions... I may be blind, but are the single-sheet starter command lists available for the Apprentice muster rules yet? Are the playtest versions hidden in these forums somewhere I missed, for example?

Possibly, is all I'd say here, but more likely than not I'll make sure they all correspond with the proper journeyman / master mustering; for the simple reason being I don't want people to play at apprentice and then move on and be disappointed.

When it gets done ;o) Again, that will take a while. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Cheers
Rob

Fair enough to both these things... I'm just glad to see this stuff on the to-do list as I really think it'll all be quite helpful!

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”