Limit on artifact combos

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
wildbill

Limit on artifact combos

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:40 pm

Having looked through all of the recent updates Rob has given us on artifacts etc.
I find myself asking the question, some artifacts enhance a unit, yet the cost comes from the artifact Cost alone with no Unit Mass.
However when you add a noble that unit it has not been costed to effect them (they get the benefit for free it seems)
Same with artifacts that buff the noble and any unit he joins (these also don't seem to have been costed to reflect the bonus impacted on say a 30 warrior unit, or a 20, or a 10) do they also get that benefit for free.

These are large swings of costing to reward.

If an artifact buffs a unit should it only effect that unit. Or have a more limited effect.
By the same token a hero's artifact should it buff an entire unit the cost should be higher.

Banners and instruments impact on a unit, so shouldn't the cost cover (item cost + unit mass) total cost = ???

Just thoughts, as I hadn't looked at all of the Muster changes until yesterday tbh, and some of the combos seem way OP.....
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Limit on artifact combos

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:17 pm

Costings are always controversial, and I won't go into too much detail on my reasonings, but suffice to say I do get things wrong; however, I do have a method, even if it's mad.

Something I always consider is how often the "combos" come off; if it won't happen very much, it's usually a lower cost. If an artefact buffs a unit, and a noble Joins that unit, I have to look at whether a noble will always Join that unit or whether it's not likely at all.

Additionally, most people believe that if they think it's an "auto-include", everyone will, but that is not correct. (Dayle usually thinks this way). People pick their musters in many different ways.

TL;DR: everything needs playtesting and I don't get the time to do all of it. If an artefact is too cheap it is usually evident when people start using it.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”