Frozen, immoblile. Eternal sleep ready to wake or dead popsicle?

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Frozen, immoblile. Eternal sleep ready to wake or dead popsicle?

Postby HughB » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:22 am

One of the prerequisites for quelling is that a unit isn't immobile. So if a unit is immobile then it can't quell. Freeze crippled models are immobile.

In my head at least (make of that what you will) that sets up an interesting situation. If a unit of two models where one was crippled and one wasn't failed a quell test with freeze tokens in play, the frozen immobile model would be dead. However if all models in the unit are immobile, they can't make a quell test. They can't fail a test they can't make so they can't fail and die. So they remain immobile. So presumably this means that you could immobilise a unit with freeze tokens, leave it where it is and then a few battle hours later, a wizard could wander into focus range and then dissipate the freeze tokens and reactivate the frozen unit. Is this true or is there a mechanic at the end of the battle hour whereby immobile things die, are pecked at by crows, dragged away by ravenous foxes or turned into iceland lasagnas etc?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Frozen, immoblile. Eternal sleep ready to wake or dead popsicle?

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:13 am

HughB wrote:One of the prerequisites for quelling is that a unit isn't immobile. So if a unit is immobile then it can't quell. Freeze crippled models are immobile.

In my head at least (make of that what you will) that sets up an interesting situation. If a unit of two models where one was crippled and one wasn't failed a quell test with freeze tokens in play, the frozen immobile model would be dead. However if all models in the unit are immobile, they can't make a quell test. They can't fail a test they can't make so they can't fail and die. So they remain immobile. So presumably this means that you could immobilise a unit with freeze tokens, leave it where it is and then a few battle hours later, a wizard could wander into focus range and then dissipate the freeze tokens and reactivate the frozen unit. Is this true or is there a mechanic at the end of the battle hour whereby immobile things die, are pecked at by crows, dragged away by ravenous foxes or turned into iceland lasagnas etc?

Not quite - page 74; freeze crippled warriors that fail their QUELL TEST are dead. Frozen dudes basically get one chance - and only if some members of the unit are not frozen, or if a wizard is nearby.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:12 pm

Sorry, too many words from me creating confusion. Ignore the two model unit thing. In a unit of one model, that one model can't take the test because it's immobile. So it can't try and quell but also can't fail the quell test. So it can't get out of immobile either in a good way or a bad way. Unless a wizard comes along and helps it out. So does it stay in limbo like that indefinitely till a wizard comes along to help it out or is there some other way of it being rendered dead?

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:54 pm

Ah I see what you mean - apologies, I was being dense.

If it's a unit of one model then he's in limbo currently - but I'll fix that; I'll amend p74 to add "if he cannot perform a QUELL TEST" as well as failed, so simply put, at the end of the battle hour, he'll be dead unless a handy wizard or other dissipator comes along.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:57 pm

The contrary arsehole part of me is a bit sad that you're removing the 'Snow White' effect. The power gamer portion of me that wants to prove that 30mm only armies can rule the roost over monsters is doing a small victory dance right now (more of an understated shuffle). The portion of me that pretends towards normalcy is cautiously optimistic about this. And wary of my other personality aspects.

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:00 am

I've sorted it out now I think...

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”