some questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Krikke

some questions

Postby Krikke » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:25 am

Greetings,

after not having played Darklands for several years, my friend and I decided to go all out with Darklands 2nd edition. However, as to be expected with a game this complex, some questions have propped up.

1. The "summon demon" spell for Byzantii. I can't find the explanation for rules: creation. Also, the description for the spell says: take a temper test modified by the mass of the models you wish to summon. Seeing it is a focus invocation wich targets a spot on the battlefield am I correct in thinking I modify the 0-9 temper band (for a spot on the battlefield) with the mass of the summoned unit? The spell has 3 invoke dice, is one succes enough for the spell to go off?

2. Invokes, any roll of a 0 makes it a fumbled spell unless there is also a 9 present? Both focus and sight invokations?

3. Combat resolution: if you attack a weary unit, so unable to react, do you automaticly win the combat if you do any damage? And does the weary unit automatically need to test for panic?

4. Demiurion can take a Behema mount for 68 points. But if I look in the Infernii muster it actually costs around 165 points. Is this correct? Do I use the entry from the Infernii muster?

I have many more questions, but I will start with these. Many thanks in advance.

Loving every bit of our return to the Darklands. Awesome modesl with awesome rules.

Cheers,

Krikke
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: some questions

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:20 am

Krikke wrote:Greetings,

after not having played Darklands for several years, my friend and I decided to go all out with Darklands 2nd edition. However, as to be expected with a game this complex, some questions have propped up.

No problem. Nice to have you back! What made you play again my friend?

Krikke wrote:1. The "summon demon" spell for Byzantii. I can't find the explanation for rules: creation.

Page 93 my friend!

Krikke wrote:Also, the description for the spell says: take a temper test modified by the mass of the models you wish to summon. Seeing it is a focus invocation wich targets a spot on the battlefield am I correct in thinking I modify the 0-9 temper band (for a spot on the battlefield) with the mass of the summoned unit? The spell has 3 invoke dice, is one succes enough for the spell to go off?

Not quite - as it says on p93, the Mark (the unit being created) is what you compare your sorcerer's TEMPER against. So it's a bit more difficult than that ;o)

Krikke wrote:2. Invokes, any roll of a 0 makes it a fumbled spell unless there is also a 9 present? Both focus and sight invokations?

Correct!

Krikke wrote:3. Combat resolution: if you attack a weary unit, so unable to react, do you automaticly win the combat if you do any damage? And does the weary unit automatically need to test for panic?

Yes to the first question; but only if you do damage; and to the second question, only if the mass of your unit is greater than the mass of the enemy unit.

Krikke wrote:4. Demiurion can take a Behema mount for 68 points. But if I look in the Infernii muster it actually costs around 165 points. Is this correct? Do I use the entry from the Infernii muster?

Ah, that's a mistake - I'll have to amend that! I think the Behema is obviously miscosted. I'll fix it ;o)

Krikke wrote:I have many more questions, but I will start with these. Many thanks in advance.

Loving every bit of our return to the Darklands. Awesome modesl with awesome rules.
Cheers,
Krikke[/quote]

No problem, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:04 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Krikke wrote:Greetings,

No problem. Nice to have you back! What made you play again my friend?

- The 2nd edtion rulebook and a greater availability of awesome models is what got me to come back :-). And also, I am keen to get my hands on some of your new grey wolf resin models, very curious about those.

Since my last post we played 3 more games wich resulted in yet some more questions.

- more of a general question; does infantry have a use? I like playing a centurion with 16 legionarius, auxilia option with arcus and some auxilia saggittarius but my experience until now is that infantry does not seem to have many uses except being a roadblock and dying or occassionaly fighting other infantry. Ofcourse I am still learning. I hope this doesn't sound overly negative. My friend plays a lot of werewolfs and bear monstrous infantry. Perhaps I am just struggling with the matchup.

- regarding invokes, rolling a 0 but not a 9 makes the entire spell fail, or do the other invoked dice go through and you just roll on the fumble table?

- does rolling a 99 have a detrimental effect? Just wondering. My friend rolled a 99 for an inspire test, but with modifiers was withing threshold. (within command range of general, could see the inspirer,...). We both thought, rolling a 99 surely can't be good, hahahaa

- we are still struggling a bit with combat resolution, on average it seems the unit with the greatest mass always wins if it did some damage. When exactily does the defeated unit loses it's exulted state {if it had it}? Before or after the panic reaction?

- Regarding deployment. If we chose zones that are really close together. Is there a minimum range you have to deploy away from each other?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

P.S. will the rulebook be coming out again in a printed version? I have the pdf, but prefer to have a book.

Cheers,

Krikke
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:21 am

Krikke wrote:- The 2nd edtion rulebook and a greater availability of awesome models is what got me to come back :-). And also, I am keen to get my hands on some of your new grey wolf resin models, very curious about those.

Ah, that's good to know! Yes, the Grey Wulf resin miniatures really are amazing!

Krikke wrote:Since my last post we played 3 more games wich resulted in yet some more questions.

- more of a general question; does infantry have a use? I like playing a centurion with 16 legionarius, auxilia option with arcus and some auxilia saggittarius but my experience until now is that infantry does not seem to have many uses except being a roadblock and dying or occassionaly fighting other infantry. Ofcourse I am still learning. I hope this doesn't sound overly negative. My friend plays a lot of werewolfs and bear monstrous infantry. Perhaps I am just struggling with the matchup.

All I would say is - I've altered how infantry can influence the game with the tactician / disciplined abilities. Have a read of the Wrest the Initiative rules (in the wendlist here: https://mierce-miniatures.com/darklands ... _v2.06.pdf) - they make infantry much more attractive.

Krikke wrote:- regarding invokes, rolling a 0 but not a 9 makes the entire spell fail, or do the other invoked dice go through and you just roll on the fumble table?

No, any 0 means a fumble (as long as there's no 9s). The other invoked dice are simply discarded.

Krikke wrote:- does rolling a 99 have a detrimental effect? Just wondering. My friend rolled a 99 for an inspire test, but with modifiers was withing threshold. (within command range of general, could see the inspirer,...). We both thought, rolling a 99 surely can't be good, hahahaa

99 is always a fail for an ATTRIBUTE TEST. A roll of 00 is always a pass! It's definitely in the rule book somewhere...

Krikke wrote:- we are still struggling a bit with combat resolution, on average it seems the unit with the greatest mass always wins if it did some damage. When exactily does the defeated unit loses it's exulted state {if it had it}? Before or after the panic reaction?

They lose it after their Panic reaction; their heart either changes to shaken and they get a defeated token, or they are broken!

Krikke wrote:- Regarding deployment. If we chose zones that are really close together. Is there a minimum range you have to deploy away from each other?

No unit can be within 1" of another unit when positioned - that's the only rule. If you position too close to your opponent, that's your mistake - or your cleverness!

Krikke wrote:Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
P.S. will the rulebook be coming out again in a printed version? I have the pdf, but prefer to have a book.

I have no plans for a reprint; but I do have a couple in reserve. Send a mail to contact@mierce-miniatures.com and we can talk about it my friend.

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:19 pm

Thank you so much for all the help thus far.

Tomorrow I have another game planned and am currently working out my 1000 silver list.

Some questions popped up:

- Auxilia option can taken an arcus (bow) giving him access to the scout commander upgrade. Can he join a unit of Auxilia Sagittarius before the battle and flank with them? Same question for a unit of Auxilia Bestiarius and Hyaena. I don't think they can but it's worth asking.

- Again an invoke question :-s. Buffing focus spells, if the text doesn't say 'per invoked die, one warrior...', the entire unit gets the buff? Also, can't find the explanation for transient and mutable.

So for example 'born of hell'. Each marked warrior gains D10 might per invoked dice. Rules: once per mark, entire mark, transient. So the entire unit has to be within focus range and every warrior gets the buff per invoked die. And once per mark means I can't stack it. Correct?

Many thanks in advance.

In the coming weeks I will post some of my painting progress. I've been going hard lately :-).

Cheers,

Krikke.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:53 am

Krikke wrote:Thank you so much for all the help thus far.

You're welcome ;o)

Krikke wrote:Tomorrow I have another game planned and am currently working out my 1000 silver list.

Some questions popped up:

- Auxilia option can taken an arcus (bow) giving him access to the scout commander upgrade. Can he join a unit of Auxilia Sagittarius before the battle and flank with them? Same question for a unit of Auxilia Bestiarius and Hyaena. I don't think they can but it's worth asking.

Nobles can only Join a unit in the same command, and they can't make non-Flankers FLANK - i.e., all warriors have to have the ‘flanker’ ability. So I think the answer to your question is no...

Krikke wrote:- Again an invoke question :-s. Buffing focus spells, if the text doesn't say 'per invoked die, one warrior...', the entire unit gets the buff? Also, can't find the explanation for transient and mutable.

Yes, that's right.

The transient, mutable, unstable and permanent rules are in section 2.7, p94-95...

Krikke wrote:So for example 'born of hell'. Each marked warrior gains D10 might per invoked dice. Rules: once per mark, entire mark, transient. So the entire unit has to be within focus range and every warrior gets the buff per invoked die. And once per mark means I can't stack it. Correct?

That's entirely correct my friend!

Krikke wrote:Many thanks in advance.

In the coming weeks I will post some of my painting progress. I've been going hard lately :-).

Cheers,

Krikke.

Great stuff, please do!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”