Direct Shifting to Indirect Engagement b/c of LOS

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Dan Pratt

Direct Shifting to Indirect Engagement b/c of LOS

Postby Dan Pratt » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Was playing a 999g skirmish the other night (the "Capture the Homestead" scenario for the international campaign - play it!). And had this situation come up:

A unit of elite Warriors of Baalor were activated under attack orders. Very close by was another bloodied unit of WoB that had just been ambushed by 3 Krokodares.

I'm looking at the sight requirements for an engagement under 6.10.2.1 and the definition of "potential engaged unit" under 6.10.3.

The unit meets the requirement that the leader has LOS to at least one enemy unit. However the only unit the WoB champion can see is across the table. He cannot see the nearest enemy unit (but his other warriors can):

We played it that since the champion did not have LOS to the nearby unit, they instead ran toward the distant scrum.

In hindsight, per 6.10.1.3.1, maybe it would have been appropriate to indirectly engage the nearby Krokodares?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Direct Shifting to Indirect Engagement b/c of LOS

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:32 am

Dan,

Yea, it's in 6.10.1.3.1; they couldn't actually engage the unit further away, so they indirectly engage the Krokodares.

Cheers
Rob
Rob Boyce

Postby Rob Boyce » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:25 am

So am I correct in thinking here that if the leader & champion could not see the more distant enemy unit they could use the sight of another member of the unit to charge the krokodares, but him being able to see the other unit prevents them from charging the krokodares and means they have to indirectly engage?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:34 am

Correct. The positioning of a unit's leader is very important ;o)

Cheers
Rob
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Interesting. (I'm the Krok player in those pics)
I was suspicious that it would work something like that but didnt know where to look in my rules binder (so excited that I'll have a table of contents in a real book soon).This clears it up perfectly.
Thanks.

-P.S.-Death to the Sea Devil scum! I shall grind their puny icy bones beneath superior scaly feet!

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”