Rider Attack Range

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Byzantii V

Rider Attack Range

Postby Byzantii V » Fri May 20, 2016 12:32 am

On page 63 under Attack Ranges, it states that all riders' attack ranges are reduced by 1" whilst mounted to a minimum of 0". Now, that makes total sense to me when we talk about swords, daggers, etc. But what about lances? The Byzantii Centurion has a option to purchase a "Contus, Lance" with an additional rule of "mounted only". As this is a mounted weapon, should it also suffer from this range penalty, to take its range from 1.5" to 0.5"? It looks like it can't even be used on foot...

Rules as written tells me that the lance also suffers the same penalty that a sword would. But I feel like I am missing something. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Rider Attack Range

Postby Rob Lane » Fri May 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Yes, it does - you're not missing anything.

What I've probably done is not give the lances enough of an attack range; and lances in the dark ages were not exactly long, they were more like spears than anything else. The only long lances were generally the Roman/Greek ones, they were about 4m long, so they should be 2.5" range, roughly. I'll have a thunk and probably change the kontus.

Cheers
Rob
Byzantii V

Re: Rider Attack Range

Postby Byzantii V » Fri May 20, 2016 6:34 pm

That sounds cool, thanks for taking a look Rob.

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”