Questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
staggerlee

Questions

Postby staggerlee » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 am

1. Hold and.... engagement reactions;
If i opt to hold and inspire, can i still fight back when the engagement is completed. It says " cannot perform any other engagement reactions". But fighting back is maybe not an engagement reaction? Attack reaction? Getting confused he he.
2. Valour test; even if i pass i will still become afraid, right? And only if attacked by someone terrifying , i have to flee if failed?
3. Can someone point out the difference and/ or benefits of withdrawing vs voluntary flee?

Got my first game coming this weekend, something I have looked forward to since Mierce first ks, he he.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Questions

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 31, 2016 10:51 am

staggerlee wrote:1. Hold and.... engagement reactions;
If i opt to hold and inspire, can i still fight back when the engagement is completed. It says " cannot perform any other engagement reactions". But fighting back is maybe not an engagement reaction? Attack reaction? Getting confused he he.

Correct, an Attack reaction is not an Engagement reaction.

staggerlee wrote:2. Valour test; even if i pass i will still become afraid, right?

Correct.

staggerlee wrote:And only if attacked by someone terrifying , i have to flee if failed?

Correct.

staggerlee wrote:3. Can someone point out the difference and/ or benefits of withdrawing vs voluntary flee?

Some warriors cannot voluntarily Withdraw (ill-trained ones), so it's kind of a nice thing for well-trained infantry to do rather than Flee.

staggerlee wrote:Got my first game coming this weekend, something I have looked forward to since Mierce first ks, he he.

Good man, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

Cheers
Rob
staggerlee

Postby staggerlee » Tue May 31, 2016 10:55 am

Cheers Rob, I will certainly let you know how it goes. Will be 2000g Norse vs Khthones.
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi all!
Could you, please, clarify:
If attacking warrior is in blind arc of the attacked one - he is Unseen for attacked warrior? For purposes of parry. So the parry is difficult parry?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

No, he's not unseen.

In short, attacking a warrior in his blind arc means you hit him more easily and nothing else. The attacked warrior can't use a shield, if he has one, but that's it.

Cheers
Rob
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 am

Get it! Thanks, Rob.
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:07 am

*DELETED*
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:22 am

Does Ignores Weapon rule works on Worn or Natural combat weapons? (In the description of Worn weapons: Worn weapons can never
be negated.)
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:48 am

How does Mighty Strike works against the unit of equal warriors?
Let's say - Ancient Fen Beast strikes the unit of Ax-Drunes.
9 strikes - 6 hits and 3 mighty swift strikes. How the Mighty strikes will be distributed? What hits will ignore parry?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:15 pm

Wounded warrior is the first to become prone, then the other warriors. Remember they must fail a test before becoming knocked out.

Cheers
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 pm

1) So, 3 mighty strikes. Wounded warrior fails test and is knocked out, then next one closest to attacker - fails test and is knocked out, and then the third one. So 3 are knocked down. Right?
Every one of these 3 will separately get 2 hits without parry? How the wounds from these hits will be distributed?
Will the remaining 6 hits be without parry? Or only Mighty Strikes that bypassed the test?

2) Does Ignores Weapon rule works on Worn or Natural combat weapons? (In the description of Worn weapons: Worn weapons can never
be negated.)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Kharn wrote:1) So, 3 mighty strikes. Wounded warrior fails test and is knocked out, then next one closest to attacker - fails test and is knocked out, and then the third one. So 3 are knocked down. Right?

Correct.

Kharn wrote:Every one of these 3 will separately get 2 hits without parry? How the wounds from these hits will be distributed?

However you like, as normal.

Kharn wrote:Will the remaining 6 hits be without parry? Or only Mighty Strikes that bypassed the test?

When a warrior is knocked out, any strikes that have not yet been parried cannot be parried at all and simply go straight through to wound rolls.

It matters when you apply Mighty Strike - to gain a lot of benefit from it, choose the weapon with the Mighty Strike first.

The reason this is how it works is very simple: for warriors with one weapon (a mighty striking weapon) to be able to gain the benefits of this rule, strikes have to be split immediately after an enemy is knocked out. As the rules stand, it's really up to the enemy which they take first - parries from non-Mighty Strike strikes, or the MIGHTY STRIKE TEST - so a clever enemy will do all the other parries first, then take the tests.

It's not worded very well and it's on my list of jobs to sort for the errata, as we've come up against this recently.

The intention is that the enemy warrior must perform the MIGHTY STRIKE TEST before he attempts to parry any other strikes with that Mighty Striking weapon (or indeed any other weapon), but it's not worded that way currently - simply put, I'll sort that.

Kharn wrote:2) Does Ignores Weapon rule works on Worn or Natural combat weapons? (In the description of Worn weapons: Worn weapons can never
be negated.)

Ignores Weapons really means "Ignores Weapon+ value". The weapon isn't negated in any way; a negated weapon cannot be used at all. In the case of Ignores Weapons, the weapon is still used, it just doesn't add Weapon+ to the might value.

Cheers
Rob
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Hello again!
1) Could you, please, clarify - Does shieldwall avoid bonuses work against the Focus Invokes?
2) What is Lethal Range with Grab and Thrown object? In the Objects' Table there's row LETHAL range with "Half M+W". But then the Kraaken will throw rocks on the ~50" and that will be Lethal Range.
3) Can Hound-Master goad drune-hounds?
4) Is Sword-Melusine unit with mustered herald (who is shrieker) immune to shriek?
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Anyone?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Sorry Kharn, will answer shortly. Been busy!

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Kharn wrote:1) Could you, please, clarify - Does shieldwall avoid bonuses work against the Focus Invokes?

Only if an armour save is allowed my friend. Most focus invocations are effects and don't often cause direct damage; some do, but most don't.

Kharn wrote:2) What is Lethal Range with Grab and Thrown object? In the Objects' Table there's row LETHAL range with "Half M+W". But then the Kraaken will throw rocks on the ~50" and that will be Lethal Range.

There's no lethal range; that's a typo. It should just say "Half M+W".

Kharn wrote:3) Can Hound-Master goad drune-hounds?

No, he does not have the "Goader" ability.

Kharn wrote:4) Is Sword-Melusine unit with mustered herald (who is shrieker) immune to shriek?

Only the Shrieker is. Therefore, the unit is affected, but she is not.

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:08 pm

One last thing - when you have new questions, can you create a new topic please? One thread for all questions will get very confusing very quickly.

Cheers
Rob
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks, Rob!
Ok. I will.
PS: But it's so convinient to have some Q&A format for lots of small questions =)

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”