various questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Krikke

various questions

Postby Krikke » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 am

Greetings, i would like to ask some questions.

First regarding the charge action.
A unit of Sronax with a Sronax untain wishes to charge a unit of Krokdar. Only 2 Sronax are within engagement distance. Does the entire unit's engagement fail and do they have to do the restrain or divert reaction? Or only the models that didn't make it?

Second question regarding the stomp/grab action.
My mallox did a stomp action against a unit of Krokdar. Seeing as the stomp action is a seperate wearying action, does de mallox not get to attack with its other weapons?
Same thing with grab. If i did a grab action with one of the Kraacken's weapons, does it not get to attack with its other weapons?

Third question regarding prone
What are the downsides to prone besides having to do the stand up action? Prone models still get hit on skill vs skill in combat and get to parry?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Cheers

Krikke
Krikke

Re: various questions

Postby Krikke » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:04 pm

I really could use some insights here, guys.

Another question concerning continuous effects. Once a unit is effected by a continuous effect, there is no way to remove the effect? Taking and passing the test for the delayed effect does not make the effect dissipate?

Cheers,

Krikke.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Krikke wrote:Greetings, i would like to ask some questions.

Apologies Krikke, I've been so busy!

Krikke wrote:First regarding the charge action.
A unit of Sronax with a Sronax untain wishes to charge a unit of Krokdar. Only 2 Sronax are within engagement distance. Does the entire unit's engagement fail and do they have to do the restrain or divert reaction? Or only the models that didn't make it?

No, the two Srónax may Charge, and the rest simply follow up behind - see 6.10.6.5 - Unengaged Engagers on p163.

Krikke wrote:Second question regarding the stomp/grab action.
My mallox did a stomp action against a unit of Krokdar. Seeing as the stomp action is a seperate wearying action, does de mallox not get to attack with its other weapons?

Well, I'll stop you there - the Mallox can't Stomp the Krokodar; the Stomper has to be double the strength of the enemy it is stomping. The strength of the Mallox is 10, the Krokodar 6, so he shouldn't have been doing that.

Regardless, I'll answer the question as its still relevant - yes, the Stomper would get to Attack with its other weapons.

Krikke wrote:Same thing with grab. If i did a grab action with one of the Kraacken's weapons, does it not get to attack with its other weapons?

Yes it does.

Krikke wrote:Third question regarding prone
What are the downsides to prone besides having to do the stand up action? Prone models still get hit on skill vs skill in combat and get to parry?

Not quite.

Prone warriors are easy strikes (i.e., the strike value is halved, rounding down), but unless they're immobile, they still get to parry (as, even though they're prone, their armour and toughness still comes into play). Shields can't be used however.

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for the answers, Rob, much obliged.
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Regarding the various continuous effects: if you succeed in your continuous effect test, does the effect dissipate and do you remove the token?
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 pm

@ Krikke: Yes, pg. 126 in the rulebook (4 . 2 . 7 . 1)

Rob Lane wrote:Well, I'll stop you there - the Mallox can't Stomp the Krokodar; the Stomper has to be double the strength of the enemy it is stomping. The strength of the Mallox is 10, the Krokodar 6, so he shouldn't have been doing that.

As far as I understand my beautiful rulebook tells me on pg 37 that Krokodar have a strength of punny 4 each as they are on 60mm bases. So stomp should be possible for 100mm and 120mm based monsters. Or did I once again miss something? (I admit, it wouldn't be a first :lol: )

Best Sven
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks for the info, Sven, much obliged.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:15 am

Bah - I was thinking Krokokh... got them on the brain. Apologies ;o)

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 am

Krikke wrote:Regarding the various continuous effects: if you succeed in your continuous effect test, does the effect dissipate and do you remove the token?

Yes - see 4.2.7, An Hour Passes on p126.

Cheers
Rob
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:12 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Bah - I was thinking Krokokh... got them on the brain. Apologies ;o)

Cheers
Rob

Actually I was hoping a bit you'd proove me wrong here.... let me explain: ;)

There're a lot of rules that work on the "half the strength" restriction that should only be possible with a certain size difference (especially grab, which instant kills), but the current table allows for some very ... let's call it "strange" happenings:

100mm model grabbing etc. 60mm models - f.ex. Malacant stomping and grabbing Sronax (they are basically the same size)
120mm grabbing etc. 80mm - f.ex. Uuthüll grabbing and crushing friggin Matmaag or Morannach with a single hand

TBH it seems strange that anything from 60mm base upward can be grabbed (at last with a single hand... so not counting stuff like the sucking chest). Also I see the point that models despite their base size have different sizes. So yes, Malacant is small for his 100mm while Sronax are among the biggest 60mm models and one could for example see a Gorgorar being grabbed by a Mallox. (the other extreme)

But I still think it feels strange more often than not and was worth putting in words.

Best Sven :mrgreen:
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm of exactly the same mind, but until I get 90mm or 70mm bases it's how it is...

...and no matter how complex, some things will always feel strange.

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:35 am

Hello,

I have some more questions. I just wanted to check if we fully grasp the combat rules. So here it goes:

I charge my meathulk into a unit of Krokdar (?) monstrous infantry. For the purpose of blood generating are all impact hits and attacks simultaneously?
I did some impact wounds and then grabbed a Krokdar and attacked the rest, netting me with around 90+ wounds done (yes, it was glorious), doubling up from frenzy, gave me 18 blood.
My opponont did 10+ wounds I think.

So I won that combat quite convincingly. It just seems a lot. Whenever things feel super powerful, I really want to make sure we're playing it right. :-)

Ofcourse, being frenzied, i retained 17 blood. How could anyone ever win a combat against a monster with this much blood? Or is retained blood not counted in a new combat?

Another question: if an engaged enemy unit, is engaged by another unit, can they do an attack reaction and just hit the unit they are already engaged with?

Could someone shed some light onto this?

Thank you.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Krikke wrote:Hello,

I have some more questions. I just wanted to check if we fully grasp the combat rules. So here it goes:

I charge my meathulk into a unit of Krokdar (?) monstrous infantry. For the purpose of blood generating are all impact hits and attacks simultaneously?
I did some impact wounds and then grabbed a Krokdar and attacked the rest, netting me with around 90+ wounds done (yes, it was glorious), doubling up from frenzy, gave me 18 blood.
My opponont did 10+ wounds I think.

So I won that combat quite convincingly. It just seems a lot. Whenever things feel super powerful, I really want to make sure we're playing it right. :-)

Yep... that sounds about right for a Meat-Hulk ;o)

Krikke wrote:Ofcourse, being frenzied, i retained 17 blood. How could anyone ever win a combat against a monster with this much blood? Or is retained blood not counted in a new combat?

That's easy - as soon as the Meat-Hulk takes wounds, he drops blood; see the Blood-Lust box on page 33 of the rule book. Plus, he'll drop two at the end of the battle hour.

Krikke wrote:Another question: if an engaged enemy unit, is engaged by another unit, can they do an attack reaction and just hit the unit they are already engaged with?

Nope - they can only Attack React against the unit that has attacked them. See 6.20.2.1.2, on page 196 of the rule book.

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Thank you, Rob.

Another question regarding invocations.

For example, a focus invocation like the Ysian blind, has 2 dice. Do the 2 dice mean it can at maximum target 2 marks? So your initial price is calculated accordingly. Initial price + strength of 2 marks?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Krikke wrote:Thank you, Rob.

Another question regarding invocations.

For example, a focus invocation like the Ysian blind, has 2 dice. Do the 2 dice mean it can at maximum target 2 marks? So your initial price is calculated accordingly. Initial price + strength of 2 marks?

Hi Krikke

No, the two dice are just what you roll to get the invocation cast; the initial price is + strength of the mark itself.

So, you target a unit of 10 warriors, strength 10. The initial price is 1, plus the strength of the unit - 10. So the initial price is 11.

The dice are simply rolled to find out if that enemy unit succumbs to the spell; i.e., it's your sorcerer's TEMPER against the unit's TEMPER.

Does that make sense?

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am

That makes perfect sense, Rob. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Slowly but surely I'm getting the point where I fully grasp the rules.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:44 am

Krikke wrote:That makes perfect sense, Rob. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Slowly but surely I'm getting the point where I fully grasp the rules.

Hi Krikke

You're welcome my friend. Keep the questions coming ;o)

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:56 pm

How does one calculate the avoid value for a focus spell without a P+P element.
For instance the Fomoraic spell 'frozen blood'. Is it only the initial price that is used for this then? In this case 4...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Krikke wrote:How does one calculate the avoid value for a focus spell without a P+P element.
For instance the Fomoraic spell 'frozen blood'. Is it only the initial price that is used for this then? In this case 4...

It's against the TEMPER of your opponent, usually. See 6.40.5.4.2 - Focus Invocations.

If there's no opponent, see 6.40.5.4.3 - Objects or Points.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”