Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Dunni the Stout
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Georgetown, TX, USA

Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Dunni the Stout » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Upfront, I'll say that I have read (not memorized) the First Edition Rulebook, as well as the 2.10 muster and 1.10 Sellsword lists. I have NOT had the privilege of playing a game of Darklands yet.

The parts I get:
If I'm mustering a Sellword Command alongside my main host, with Golgog as a Sellsword commander, I can take Freebooter Units from any kindred. They must be MI or MB with the vassal privilege. Freebooter units can be bound together. Once they do this they'd be a mixed profile unit (I think I get this part, though).



The questions I have:
A Freebooter unit may not have differing profiles. Does this mean a) an Ohgrun Keeper unit may not take unit options (champ, herald, standard), b) Oghrun Keeper unit cannot purchase Hunters to bind to it during the muster stage, or c) something entirely different?

Freebooter units can be permanently bound to another Freeboter unit when does this happen a) during muster, so that all Ubiquity and Authority cost falls under the primary unit, b) after muster, so that I must pay all ubiquity and authority vs. Golgogs authority, or c) something entirely different.

What's the difference between permenantly bound and just bound? 6.6 in Rulebook, Binding has no reference that I can find.

Thanks for the assist, as I'm liking the idea of pulling together some of the MI from some kindreds outside my Anglecynns, but don't want to commit to any other kindreds until the Fresiens get here.
--Steven Dunbar
Dunni666@yahoo.com
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2873
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:19 am

Dunni the Stout wrote:Upfront, I'll say that I have read (not memorized) the First Edition Rulebook, as well as the 2.10 muster and 1.10 Sellsword lists. I have NOT had the privilege of playing a game of Darklands yet.

The parts I get:
If I'm mustering a Sellword Command alongside my main host, with Golgog as a Sellsword commander, I can take Freebooter Units from any kindred. They must be MI or MB with the vassal privilege. Freebooter units can be bound together. Once they do this they'd be a mixed profile unit (I think I get this part, though).


Dunni the Stout wrote:The questions I have:
A Freebooter unit may not have differing profiles. Does this mean a) an Ohgrun Keeper unit may not take unit options (champ, herald, standard), b) Oghrun Keeper unit cannot purchase Hunters to bind to it during the muster stage, or c) something entirely different?


No - you need to understand what profiles are; simply put, differing profiles are, for example, Oghur and Oghurithne. An Oghurithne champion, banner bearer and herald are all of the same profile.

HOWEVER... Oghurithne Hunters are NOT the same as Oghurithne.

Bear in mind that Golgog can Bind to any number of units, so he can Bind to both a unit of Oghurithne and Oghurithne Hunters.

Dunni the Stout wrote:Freebooter units can be permanently bound to another Freeboter unit when does this happen a) during muster, so that all Ubiquity and Authority cost falls under the primary unit, b) after muster, so that I must pay all ubiquity and authority vs. Golgogs authority, or c) something entirely different.


Either during a muster or during the game (see the Bind action). It's entirely up to you!

Dunni the Stout wrote:What's the difference between permenantly bound and just bound? 6.6 in Rulebook, Binding has no reference that I can find.


You'll find those definitions in the Abilities section - p48, under Bound.

Simply put, if you're Bound permanently neither unit can Unbind voluntarily; if not, you can Unbind.

Dunni the Stout wrote:Thanks for the assist, as I'm liking the idea of pulling together some of the MI from some kindreds outside my Anglecynns, but don't want to commit to any other kindreds until the Fresiens get here.


No problem, ask away! It's what I'm here for!

Cheers
Rob
Dunni the Stout
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Georgetown, TX, USA

Re: Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Dunni the Stout » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:43 am

Thank you Rob for the quick lesson. Much obliged. I've reread the sections you pointed me to, makes a lot more sense now. Thanks you, that book, just so massive that it's easy to get lost. :)

So it looks like the bottom line is that with Golgog's Ubiquity of Unique + Uncommon 2, I can have a mixed bag of Amazingly beautiful Monstrous Infantry all bound to him, at no cost to Ubiquity or Authority if I do it during muster. Then I can *still* add a few unbound Monstrous Beasts to the command, as long as I have overall ubiquity slots and stay under Golgog's rather respectable authority rating, correct?

If so, it sounds like I need a bigger bank account.
--Steven Dunbar
Dunni666@yahoo.com
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2873
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:23 am

Dunni the Stout wrote:Thank you Rob for the quick lesson. Much obliged. I've reread the sections you pointed me to, makes a lot more sense now. Thanks you, that book, just so massive that it's easy to get lost. :)

So it looks like the bottom line is that with Golgog's Ubiquity of Unique + Uncommon 2, I can have a mixed bag of Amazingly beautiful Monstrous Infantry all bound to him, at no cost to Ubiquity or Authority if I do it during muster. Then I can *still* add a few unbound Monstrous Beasts to the command, as long as I have overall ubiquity slots and stay under Golgog's rather respectable authority rating, correct?


Correct! And he gets to feed them goats. What's not to like?

Dunni the Stout wrote:If so, it sounds like I need a bigger bank account.


Don't we all ;o)

Cheers
Dunni the Stout
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Georgetown, TX, USA

Re: Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Dunni the Stout » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks again, Rob! Time to go pick out some groovy looking MI.
--Steven Dunbar
Dunni666@yahoo.com
Dunni the Stout
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Georgetown, TX, USA

Re: Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Dunni the Stout » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Looks like my Freebooters are starting with:
Golgog

Bind+ to:
3 Tarvax Warriors (Raackanasck [Gultain], Bockaaruk, Inavaak)
1 Oghur Nhund (Pabogg)

I'd like to add some of the Trolls with Fellspears or the Trolls with Glaive eventually. Mebbe some Hrafnhamm as a separate Freebooter unit because the flying dudes look so cool...
--Steven Dunbar
Dunni666@yahoo.com
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2873
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Golgog and Freebooters, how's this go?

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 am

Sounds good.

Eggs in one basket though...

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests