Jute Lanterns and Ettenwiht equipment

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
deadlydeceiver

Jute Lanterns and Ettenwiht equipment

Postby deadlydeceiver » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 am

Heyho,

four quick ones:

Is the M+W of lantern shot weapons (t.ex. Wihtax) increased by the might increase of the sorcerers lantern artifacts/Crown of Jylland?
I assume it's not, as the lanterns M+W is somehow seperate from the actual might of the warrior, but on the other hand: It's maaagic and I can't really find a rule negating it.

2. The Ettenwiht may save 59 Gold by exchanging its Deadax for "Ettenax and Ettenlantern". Is the Ettenlantern really included in this or do I have to pay the 50 Gold for the lantern nonetheless?
I assume it's the later, but if that's true I recommend making Ettenax and Ettenlantern two seperate weapon options to avoid confusion.

3. The For-/Thains ancient blood rule states that one Wiht Thain has its authority increased as long as the Thain lives. Can that increased authority be used while mustering a host or only during battle?

4. is one of my dreaded "that looks unbalanced" rants :mrgreen: Prepare!
I happend to compare the Ettenwiht with the Erainn Earth Beast.
The Ettenwiht is 125 Gold more expensive than the Earth Beast.

Pro Ettenwiht: Pace 8, range 2", +20 points of might and can be boosted by lantern artifacts

Pro Earth Beast: Not mythic, significantly higher damage output (+9 max wound dice), +41(!) constitution/C+A, higher Fortitude/Authority/Temper, Hardy and its dice markers hit in very late.

At first I thought the Earth Beast might be very good for its cost, but then compared it to Crancull, Jötunn and Krokod and realized that it is pretty in line with those and the Ettenwiht just looks very expensive next to them.
Funny enough I think the Albainn Giant (another mythic) pales a bit in that comparison too, considering its gold tag.

Best Sven
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Jute Lanterns and Ettenwiht equipment

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:55 pm

deadlydeceiver wrote:1.
Is the M+W of lantern shot weapons (t.ex. Wihtax) increased by the might increase of the sorcerers lantern artifacts/Crown of Jylland?
I assume it's not, as the lanterns M+W is somehow seperate from the actual might of the warrior, but on the other hand: It's maaagic and I can't really find a rule negating it.

A great point - I'd not spotted that. I'll have to add something in to the rules to stop that from occurring. This will be added: ", and does not increase the M+W of any weapon of the type “Lantern”."

deadlydeceiver wrote:2. The Ettenwiht may save 59 Gold by exchanging its Deadax for "Ettenax and Ettenlantern". Is the Ettenlantern really included in this or do I have to pay the 50 Gold for the lantern nonetheless?
I assume it's the later, but if that's true I recommend making Ettenax and Ettenlantern two seperate weapon options to avoid confusion.

Yes, and yes. I don't know about confusion, seems pretty simple to me! Even so, I may revise that once the miniatures come out. Bear in mind this is an early draft and playtesting must occur.

deadlydeceiver wrote:3. The For-/Thains ancient blood rule states that one Wiht Thain has its authority increased as long as the Thain lives. Can that increased authority be used while mustering a host or only during battle?

Well, yes. For one thing, during mustering the Forthain/Thain lives! I'll add something explicit regardless.

deadlydeceiver wrote:4. is one of my dreaded "that looks unbalanced" rants :mrgreen: Prepare!
I happend to compare the Ettenwiht with the Erainn Earth Beast.
The Ettenwiht is 125 Gold more expensive than the Earth Beast.

Pro Ettenwiht: Pace 8, range 2", +20 points of might and can be boosted by lantern artifacts

Pro Earth Beast: Not mythic, significantly higher damage output (+9 max wound dice), +41(!) constitution/C+A, higher Fortitude/Authority/Temper, Hardy and its dice markers hit in very late.

At first I thought the Earth Beast might be very good for its cost, but then compared it to Crancull, Jötunn and Krokod and realized that it is pretty in line with those and the Ettenwiht just looks very expensive next to them.
Funny enough I think the Albainn Giant (another mythic) pales a bit in that comparison too, considering its gold tag.

My first question to anything like this is - "Have you used both?"

I have. The Ettenwiht is rather more flexible to use than the Earth Beast; in my experience the Earth Beast doesn't do an awful lot except soak up wounds and hammer what's in front of him, whereas the Ettenwiht is way more mobile, can shoot, dish out the damage and is Unliving.

Time will tell but I'm comfortable with both as it stands...

Cheers
Rob
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Rob Lane wrote:A great point - I'd not spotted that. I'll have to add something in to the rules to stop that from occurring. This will be added: ", and does not increase the M+W of any weapon of the type “Lantern”."

Glad I can help (sometimes...)

Rob Lane wrote:Yes, and yes. I don't know about confusion, seems pretty simple to me! Even so, I may revise that once the miniatures come out. Bear in mind this is an early draft and playtesting must occur.

Sorry, con't follow here. "Yes and yes" to what? I can really see arguments for both sides here.

Rob Lane wrote:Well, yes. For one thing, during mustering the Forthain/Thain lives! I'll add something explicit regardless.

Nice! A small hint certainly won't do any harm. ;)

Rob Lane wrote:My first question to anything like this is - "Have you used both?"

Pure Mathhammer on my end ^^ I'm doing that a lot :roll:
But as you know, I do have grounds for comparisson. :mrgreen:

Rob Lane wrote: in my experience the Earth Beast doesn't do an awful lot except soak up wounds and hammer what's in front of him

That sounds quite fitting ^^ And well, like what it's supposed to do. Kill and not die. :lol:

Rob Lane wrote:...whereas the Ettenwiht is way more mobile, can shoot, dish out the damage and is Unliving.

That sounds like an awesome resume too. Can't wait to see the model!
Like I said, I didn't only compare it to the Earth Beast, but ~500 Gold monsters in general and could only ever judge that it is "on par" with them.
The harshest wasn't actually the Earth Beast, but the Crancull. That thing is nuts! :mrgreen: (And over 200 Gold cheaper than the Ettenwiht...)

You also mentioned shooting and that's bringing a new set to the table. The Ettenlantern is amazing! But it increases the price even more.

I know that sounds again, like "my toy isn't strong enough" and I do admit that I'm totally hyped for the Wiht, but I'm also a Fomoraic player and adore the Erainn, while I'm not so font of the Albainn and still think the Giant looks expensive next to those "~500 beasts". :P

Alright, enough ranting. As you said: Time will tell.

Best Sven
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:50 pm

deadlydeceiver wrote:Sorry, con't follow here. "Yes and yes" to what? I can really see arguments for both sides here.

Yes, you have to pay 50 gold for the Lantern if you remove the Ettenax and Ettenlantern. Apologies for any confusion.

deadlydeceiver wrote:I know that sounds again, like "my toy isn't strong enough" and I do admit that I'm totally hyped for the Wiht, but I'm also a Fomoraic player and adore the Erainn, while I'm not so font of the Albainn and still think the Giant looks expensive next to those "~500 beasts". :P

Well, all I can say here is, the cost formula has worked out that the Ettenwiht is much more expensive; time will tell.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”