A couple of questions about fomoraic

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

A couple of questions about fomoraic

Postby HughB » Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Perhaps these should be in separate threads but I don't really want to spam the boards with loads of daft single question threads. So here I go.

Question 1: Mounting a gabrax tain/untain on a toracx. A toracx by itself is feral and thus frenzied. Am I right in thinking that mounting the gabrax dude on the toracx doesn't mean that the gabrax becomes frenzied? Does the toracx keep its frenzied attack die or does he/she/toracx self lose that attack die? What happens if you then attach the gabrax on a toracx to a unit of toracx? Does the unit stop being frenzied? Does the gabrax start being frenzied because he's outnumbered by frothy pigs? Strength in numbers rule on the gabrax. Mounting him on the toracx would increase his fortitude by four due to the base strength of the toracx he's sat on right? If I were to attach him to a unit of three toracx this presumably wouldn't effect his fortitude as the other toracx aren't his personal mount and don't have the strength in numbers rules themselves?

Question 2: A request for a bit of clarification if I may. I'm a bit unclear on the wording of mixed units and bound/binding units and what happens with special rule transfer. A gul gabrox has the special rule fearsome, one of the handy parts of which means that if he/she/gul gabrox self is charged by a terrifying unit, he/she/gul gabrox self doesn't run away if a valour test is failed (or so I believe). If the gul-gabrox is then bound to a unit of ten gabrax I'm unclear whether the fearsome rule of the gul-gabrox is transferred to the unit of gabrax or whether the gul-gabrox needs to be the majority of the unit strength before this occurs? Basically does one gul-gabrox give the gabrax 'running away from charging infernii models' immunity on a stick or do you need to bind three gul-gabrox to the unit of gabrax (and thus ensure that the unit strength of the combined unit is made up of more than half gul gabrox) before this is the case?

Thanks
H
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Jonathon Chester

Re: A couple of questions about fomoraic

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 pm

1) The mount is feral and keeps the attack dice but the rider doesn't gain feral. I believe the unit will be subject to frenzy as only feral characters can join feral units.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
HughB

Postby HughB » Wed May 17, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks for putting me right Jonathon. I'd missed that bit about non feral characters not joining feral units but it makes sense. Further rules reading needed by the sounds of things. Don't suppose you can enlighten me on the mixed unit/bound unit conundrum I've got in over how many gul-gabrox need to be attached to a gabrax unit to stop the gabrax running away from things that go bump in the night?

Cheers

H

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 am

HughB wrote:Perhaps these should be in separate threads but I don't really want to spam the boards with loads of daft single question threads. So here I go.

Question 1: Mounting a gabrax tain/untain on a toracx. A toracx by itself is feral and thus frenzied. Am I right in thinking that mounting the gabrax dude on the toracx doesn't mean that the gabrax becomes frenzied?

First up, the Toracx is an ardent mount, but that makes no difference to the rule on page 51, subsection 2.5.3.1.1 - Warrior Details. This states that a mounted warrior's acuity (i.e., Feral) is always that of the rider. The mounted warrior is the rider and the beast. Thus, the Toracx is not Feral, and not frenzied.

HughB wrote:Does the toracx keep its frenzied attack die or does he/she/toracx self lose that attack die?

No, because the Toracx is not frenzied.

HughB wrote:What happens if you then attach the gabrax on a toracx to a unit of toracx? Does the unit stop being frenzied?

It depends on the strength of the Toracx unit. See p293, 6.58.4.3 - Acuity; simply put, if the unit the Gabrax on Toracx has joined has a greater strength than him, the Joined unit's acuity is Feral. This does not, however, mean that the noble is Feral - it simply means the unit acts as a whole as if it is. Does that make sense? So the Toracx he is riding is not actually Feral, etc. etc.

HughB wrote:Does the gabrax start being frenzied because he's outnumbered by frothy pigs? Strength in numbers rule on the gabrax.

No.

HughB wrote:Mounting him on the toracx would increase his fortitude by four due to the base strength of the toracx he's sat on right?

Correct, see page 47, 2.4.4.2.6 - Strength in Numbers. The mounted warrior has the Strength in Numbers trait if either the rider or mount has it.

HughB wrote:If I were to attach him to a unit of three toracx this presumably wouldn't effect his fortitude as the other toracx aren't his personal mount and don't have the strength in numbers rules themselves?

Correct.

HughB wrote:Question 2: A request for a bit of clarification if I may. I'm a bit unclear on the wording of mixed units and bound/binding units and what happens with special rule transfer. A gul gabrox has the special rule fearsome, one of the handy parts of which means that if he/she/gul gabrox self is charged by a terrifying unit, he/she/gul gabrox self doesn't run away if a valour test is failed (or so I believe). If the gul-gabrox is then bound to a unit of ten gabrax I'm unclear whether the fearsome rule of the gul-gabrox is transferred to the unit of gabrax or whether the gul-gabrox needs to be the majority of the unit strength before this occurs? Basically does one gul-gabrox give the gabrax 'running away from charging infernii models' immunity on a stick or do you need to bind three gul-gabrox to the unit of gabrax (and thus ensure that the unit strength of the combined unit is made up of more than half gul gabrox) before this is the case?

See page 44, 2.4.4 - Traits, last paragraph before Body Traits. "Unless otherwise noted, traits affect a Bound unit's Binding unit and Bind unit... separately".

However, the Fearsome rule overrides this. See p47, 2.4.4.3.1, Fearsome - "A... Bound unit... has the Fearsome trait if... either the Binding unit or Bind unit has it".

So the Gul-Gabrox give the Bound unit (i.e., both the Gul-Gabrox and the Gabrax) the Fearsome trait.

Hope all that helps...

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Wed May 17, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks Rob, that does indeed help. Not going to lie, I'm a bit sad panda that my toracx mount has one less attack die than he does without a gabrax sat on him but I'll just assume he puts that attack to good use biting the tain instead - a modelling/painting opportunity if ever there was one. Thanks for the clarification on the fearsome issue as well. I promise not to stick a solitary gul gabrox on all of my gabrax units. Just the one rather unfortunate unit who's top secret mission for today is 'eat a charge from a behema and don't run away'. Good luck lads :-/

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 am

HughB wrote:Thanks Rob, that does indeed help. Not going to lie, I'm a bit sad panda that my toracx mount has one less attack die than he does without a gabrax sat on him but I'll just assume he puts that attack to good use biting the tain instead - a modelling/painting opportunity if ever there was one.

Haha yes, that's the way.

HughB wrote:Thanks for the clarification on the fearsome issue as well. I promise not to stick a solitary gul gabrox on all of my gabrax units. Just the one rather unfortunate unit who's top secret mission for today is 'eat a charge from a behema and don't run away'. Good luck lads :-/

No worries. But I add Gul-Gabrox to Gabrax units all the time, so don't feel bad about it - it's a totally valid tactic.

There are no "beardy" or "cheesy" things in Darklands - just brutal things. Be as brutal and as sneaky and as nasty with your list as you wish - Darklands is not pink fluffy communist Warhammer, and I will anyone to task who calls anyone else beardy or cheesy because of their Darklands list.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”