Frozen opponents

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Frozen opponents

Postby HughB » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm seeking to check that I got a couple of things right in a recent game with freeze damage weapons.

The situation is thus:

I'd used the iced weapons spell on a group of gabrax and I'd got lucky and was succesful with both dice. The gabrax then did rather a lot of damage to a unit that included four natural 9s so I'm assuming thats four freeze counters that go on the unit, correct? the unit were base strength of one so that meant that four of the unit were then frozen and immobile. There were only two models left in the unit after the attack so I presumed that each of them therefore got two freeze counters each. Is this correct or do they not stack? So if both remaining warriors in the unit are frozen and thus immobile, does that mean that the gabrax attacking them are no longer engaged? Does this in turn mean that, if the frozen warriors are still frozen by the time they next activate, the gabrax can then charge another unit in their next activation or do they have to remain in combat with the frozen warriors until they are dead? Can I essentially charge past the frozen blokes into a whole new unit? Does the fact that the remaining defeated warriors are immobile also mean that, because they are immobile, they can't be forced to panic and flee or instead do you go through the normal steps for a defeated unit and then just treat their flee distance as 0?

Further questions relating to this issue. If an armies general is frozen and immobile, can you still use his authority for initiative tests (are his subordinates so utterly impressed by his immovability in the face of his foes that they carry on fighting for example) or do you treat him as if he has fled or broken and nominate a new general until he can thaw himself out?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Frozen opponents

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm

HughB wrote:I'm seeking to check that I got a couple of things right in a recent game with freeze damage weapons.

The situation is thus:

I'd used the iced weapons spell on a group of gabrax and I'd got lucky and was succesful with both dice. The gabrax then did rather a lot of damage to a unit that included four natural 9s so I'm assuming thats four freeze counters that go on the unit, correct?

Correct.

HughB wrote:the unit were base strength of one so that meant that four of the unit were then frozen and immobile.

That's right, starting with the wounded warrior.

HughB wrote:There were only two models left in the unit after the attack so I presumed that each of them therefore got two freeze counters each. Is this correct or do they not stack?

Ah right, yes - they get two each.

HughB wrote:So if both remaining warriors in the unit are frozen and thus immobile, does that mean that the gabrax attacking them are no longer engaged?

Looks like you've found something that needs work here - technically the frozen unit is still engaged (assuming the Gabrax are contact engaged with them - see p164). p37 ensures the frozen unit have an attack range of 0" but it should also say they are unengaged. I'll errata that.

HughB wrote:Does this in turn mean that, if the frozen warriors are still frozen by the time they next activate, the gabrax can then charge another unit in their next activation or do they have to remain in combat with the frozen warriors until they are dead? Can I essentially charge past the frozen blokes into a whole new unit?

You can now ;o)

HughB wrote:Does the fact that the remaining defeated warriors are immobile also mean that, because they are immobile, they can't be forced to panic and flee or instead do you go through the normal steps for a defeated unit and then just treat their flee distance as 0?

They can't do anything, basically - panic, flee, whatever. The various requirements of the actions and reactions should always state that immobile units can't do anything.

HughB wrote:Further questions relating to this issue. If an armies general is frozen and immobile, can you still use his authority for initiative tests (are his subordinates so utterly impressed by his immovability in the face of his foes that they carry on fighting for example) or do you treat him as if he has fled or broken and nominate a new general until he can thaw himself out?

He can - or at least, there's no rules that require a replacement general (see p39) to replace him, where there is for death/broken. I remember thinking about this when I wrote the rules and - well, he's not dead, and he's not running away, he's just stuck; why would a host replace him while there's a chance of him recovering... or something along those lines. It was a 50/50 really as I can see arguments for having a replacement general for immobile generals, but in the end I came down on the "no need" side.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 pm

So I did it right??!!!??
Err. Merr. Gerd.

Nice one. I rather like the frozen general still being effective as the titular head of the army personally - I'm glad you came down on that side of the argument for comedy value if nothing else.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Yeah, sometimes you just have to let the game work itself out. Darklands is already complicated!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”