Shooting at frenzied units

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Shooting at frenzied units

Postby HughB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

So I started off playing with fomoraic and I could just about handle the tactical complexity of 'pick up axe', 'bury axe in humans head' that was involved in dealing with my gabrax lists. Occasionally I'd spice it up with the occasional question about fear immunity and gul gabrox but basically everything was bon.

Now, however, I've put together a brythoniad list and apparently there's this whole other tactical aspect called 'ranged attacks'??!!?? Err. Merr. Gerd.

So looking through the relevant section of the rulebook (who knew it was even there?) I see there's a section on page 233 entitled shoot reaction criteria and below it a section on target frenzied shoot result reaction. Basically I'm very interested in the idea that throwing enough arrows at frenzied units might make them upset with life and decide to flay themselves but I want to make sure I've got my reading of the criteria correct.

So shoot result criteria:

undamaged- is no an undamaged target unit

heavily damaged - is a heavily damaged target unit

shocked - or is a shocked target unit.

So I was hoping this meant that all I needed to do was damage the frenzied unit to fulfill the 'not an undamaged unit' criteria but having put my reasonable wargamers hat on (I try and remember to take it with me when setting off to play with my toys but often forget), am I right in thinking that what it actually means is that the unit needs to be either damaged and heavily damaged or damaged and shocked, it can't just be damaged by itself?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide this confused welsh gabrax.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Shooting at frenzied units

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am

Hugh,

Having had a good read I can honestly say that - as it's written - it looks like the problem here is "not an Undamaged Target unit". It should also say "not a Damaged unit" too! That's for all units.

I'll amend that.

Simply put, frenzied units must be Heavily Damaged or Shocked (or both) to roll on that Target Frenzied Shoot Result Reaction. Non-frenzied units must be Heavily Damaged or Shocked to perform a Panic reaction, or Heavily Damaged and Shocked for a Flee reaction.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks for taking a look Rob. The bearded weasel in me was rather hoping that was an easy way to upset frenzied units but the decent wargamer alter ego was telling me not to be silly.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:28 am

The decent wargamer alter ego won ;o) Kudos to you mate!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”