Charge and spray

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Charge and spray

Postby HughB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Sorry that I appear to have my hand up all the time at the moment. I fear I'm being a bit of a dunce.

Question about engage and spray and combat shot weapons. So 6.20.1.2.6 talks about combat shot weapons and states that you use them just like combat weapons.

6.11.3.1.2 Enggage and spray and then 6.11.3.2.1 Modifiers for engage and spray weapons suggest that you get a +1 to hit with spray weapons when performing an engage and spray.

Do dyndraig have a +1 to hit on their fire of gwaelod attack when they charge into combat and use it as they are using a spray weapon as part of an engage and spray action or do they ignore this as it is a combat shot weapon? Does the +1 to hit count for all spray weapons or are there spray weapons that aren't also combat shot weapons and it only counts for these ones?

Also while I'm at it, when halving the strike score for easy strikes or doubling for difficult strikes, do you total up any negative/positive modifiers first and then halve/double it or halve it first then add modifiers?

Promise to leave you alone for a bit now.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Charge and spray

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

HughB wrote:Sorry that I appear to have my hand up all the time at the moment. I fear I'm being a bit of a dunce.

Mate don't be daft - I welcome all questions here! It helps everyone, too, not just you - so please keep asking.

HughB wrote:Question about engage and spray and combat shot weapons. So 6.20.1.2.6 talks about combat shot weapons and states that you use them just like combat weapons.

6.11.3.1.2 Enggage and spray and then 6.11.3.2.1 Modifiers for engage and spray weapons suggest that you get a +1 to hit with spray weapons when performing an engage and spray.

Yes, but that's bad, don't forget - +1 means you add to the dice value. So instead of needing 5+ to hit, you'll need 6+. In other words, it makes things worse. (Although it's not so bad for spray because anything under the template is an easy shot).

HughB wrote:Do dyndraig have a +1 to hit on their fire of gwaelod attack when they charge into combat and use it as they are using a spray weapon as part of an engage and spray action or do they ignore this as it is a combat shot weapon? Does the +1 to hit count for all spray weapons or are there spray weapons that aren't also combat shot weapons and it only counts for these ones?

Well, the spray is not being used as a combat shot weapon during an Engage and Spray action. It's being used as a shot weapon. In your example, you're Spraying the enemy before you make it into combat (although damage from Engaging and Spraying does count towards combat results).

When you're in combat, you can then Spray again, as a combat shot weapon; at that point, the +1 to hit from Engaging and Spraying does not count as you're not Engaging and Spraying... you're Spraying.

HughB wrote:Also while I'm at it, when halving the strike score for easy strikes or doubling for difficult strikes, do you total up any negative/positive modifiers first and then halve/double it or halve it first then add modifiers?

Yes - although, again, that's in the rulebook - 224, VI.XXX.II - Shot Types. Read the bit about Easy Shots. You calculate the shot value normally, then halve.

HughB wrote:Promise to leave you alone for a bit now.

No, don't - I'm very happy to be answering questions!

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Does this then mean that you could use the spray twice in an activation? Declare that you're engage and spraying - spray before you engage, then use the spray again as a combat shot weapon again when you get into combat? Or can you only use it once in an activation and therefore have to choose at which point you use it?

H

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 pm

HughB wrote:Thanks for the super quick reply.

Does this then mean that you could use the spray twice in an activation? Declare that you're engage and spraying - spray before you engage, then use the spray again as a combat shot weapon again when you get into combat? Or can you only use it once in an activation and therefore have to choose at which point you use it?

H

Twice. Bear in mind that using the Spray in combat may be effective against some, but not against others - and you usually have to Switch between Spray and Bite, certainly for Dyndraig, anyway.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Friendly warning not to try and spray a behema? You're my hero!

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

Indeed. You might singe him a bit, but I'd always bite him...

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Worth putting on a Tshirt? ;-)

PS thanks very much for all of the answers over the last few days, they've been a massive help. I think I can reliably say that most of the mistakes I make in my next game will be down to my tactical ineptitude rather than my inability to figure rules out.

Cheers

H

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:57 pm

You're welcome mate, my pleasure!

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:53 pm

It would appear I've had another case of not reading the rules properly. Woops and indeed sigh.

combat shot weapons and combat invocations
basically if you use a combat shot weapon in an engage and action then you can't use it in the linked attack action. So I'm pretty sure this means I can't use my spray twice in this situation. Ah wells, no double dipping for me.

Useful to know that I can use my spray on the way in though (and how to use it properly). Handy for upsetting counterengagers which is what rather screwed my dyndraig over in their last outing.

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 am

Oh yes, forgot about that. Ignore me then!

The key to upset counter-engagers is to... wait until they're activated already ;o)

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Ah but frenzied counter engagers stay alert damn their eyes. Pleasingly flammable though so thats nice.

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:18 am

Dammit I said activated rather than Engaged. I knew what I meant...

HughB wrote:Ah but frenzied counter engagers stay alert damn their eyes. Pleasingly flammable though so thats nice.

Very true... try to Engage them from behind then, or give them a cheap unit to Engage and stay with, then hammer them... ;o)

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”