Under Attack order vs being frenzied

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Under Attack order vs being frenzied

Postby HughB » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Just a request for a bit of clarification really. So frenzied models are obliged to move as fast as possible in a straight line towards the nearest enemy in an attempt to engage them in combat.

Models under attack orders seem to have similar restrictions placed upon them. If models under attack orders move, they have to use the entirety of their move to move towards an enemy unit. The same seems to apply if they decide to run towards them. My question is do you have to use all of either your move or run to move directly towards an enemy unit or can you get away with only using part of a run order? So for example if you've got a unit with a move of 5" if they are under attack orders are they obliged to either move 5" directly towards an enemy unit or run 10" towards an enemy unit or are they allowed to move 7" towards them or say 10" but on an oblique angle so that they end up closer than when they started but not necessarily as close as they could have been?

I'm basically checking whether being under attack orders is like being feral light (in which case I'm playing it wrong) or whether there is rather more tactical flexibility and you have to end your move closer to an enemy unit but there is wiggle room about how much closer and how much you move.

Thanks for any advice you can give

H
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Under Attack order vs being frenzied

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:58 am

See the 6.3.2.1: UNDER ATTACK ORDERS subsection, p145.

There's no wiggle room. If your unit is under Attack orders, and it Runs, that unit must Run as far as possible and as close as possible to an enemy unit.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks Rob. Might need to decide whether its worth starting under different orders or just accepting the pell mell charge forward.

Icchan

Postby Icchan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 pm

What about units that have warriors that cannot move in a straight line, for example having some warriors behind an impassable obstacle like a building?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:56 am

HughB wrote:Thanks Rob. Might need to decide whether its worth starting under different orders or just accepting the pell mell charge forward.

Yeah, that's the reason for it - otherwise everybody puts their units on ATTACK orders. The most flexible are MOVE orders, and your general can always change their orders with the New Order action.

Icchan wrote:What about units that have warriors that cannot move in a straight line, for example having some warriors behind an impassable obstacle like a building?

That is dealt with in the Run action; see 6.3.2.1.1: Frenzied Units, second paragraph.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:46 am

A bit of further clarification if I may?

5.1.2.2.1 Move Orders

states that all noble commanders are also assumed to be under MOVE orders as well as the orders their general gives them.

Does this mean that if you give a commander attack orders he can also act as if he (and the units under him) are under either ATTACK order or MOVE orders? From the discussion we've just had in the above posts I'm assuming no but I'm not sure why. I read this rule and it sounds like a unit can choose to move freely as if they are under MOVE orders rather than straight towards other units as they would have to if they were under ATTACK orders.

Next question. The general only issues orders to his commanders who then dictate what the units under them do. Does this mean that the general can change the orders of all the units in a command by issuing new orders to those units commander (as the commander then tells the units under them what to do) or does the general have to do it on a unit by unit basis but through that units commander?

Thanks

H

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:52 am

HughB wrote:A bit of further clarification if I may?

5.1.2.2.1 Move Orders

states that all noble commanders are also assumed to be under MOVE orders as well as the orders their general gives them.

Does this mean that if you give a commander attack orders he can also act as if he (and the units under him) are under either ATTACK order or MOVE orders? From the discussion we've just had in the above posts I'm assuming no but I'm not sure why. I read this rule and it sounds like a unit can choose to move freely as if they are under MOVE orders rather than straight towards other units as they would have to if they were under ATTACK orders.

No, that's just the Commander's unit that he has Joined / is Bound to - not all of the units in his command. It does say this. The Commander's unit can basically move around, as he has a bit of personal freedom.

HughB wrote:Next question. The general only issues orders to his commanders who then dictate what the units under them do. Does this mean that the general can change the orders of all the units in a command by issuing new orders to those units commander (as the commander then tells the units under them what to do) or does the general have to do it on a unit by unit basis but through that units commander?

He just tells the Commander. Effectively, the general is telling a Command what to do through the Commander.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”