Shrieking clarifications

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Shrieking clarifications

Postby HughB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm

When a unit shrieks, do you take one might test for the whole unit or do you take a might test for each shrieking model in the unit? Is the range then measured from the whole unit or just models that passed their shriek test?

Do shriek results stack? What I mean is this - my dynwocor unit charges a unit of gabrax say. They successfully shriek on the way in which slows the unit of gabrax, confuses them and halves their skill. It does the same to an adjacent unit of gabrax and a mallox on the other side of the gabrax unit. If my cocwocor then charges either the mallox or the other unit of gabrax and also shrieks in the act of charging, is everybodies skill halved again or not?

Thanks in advance for any help
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Shrieking clarifications

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

HughB wrote:When a unit shrieks, do you take one might test for the whole unit or do you take a might test for each shrieking model in the unit?

One MIGHT TEST for the Shrieking Unit (even if it contains a commander), not individuals. It should say Shrieking unit there, not Shrieker, which is presumably how you got confused!

Read the Attribute Tests section on p56. Generally it's down to the champion's attribute for a MIGHT TEST; and a noble in the unit would take a separate MIGHT TEST, so that would be a separate Shriek.

HughB wrote:Is the range then measured from the whole unit or just models that passed their shriek test?

Any warrior in the unit, assuming they unit passed its SHRIEK TEST.

HughB wrote:Do shriek results stack? What I mean is this - my dynwocor unit charges a unit of gabrax say. They successfully shriek on the way in which slows the unit of gabrax, confuses them and halves their skill. It does the same to an adjacent unit of gabrax and a mallox on the other side of the gabrax unit. If my cocwocor then charges either the mallox or the other unit of gabrax and also shrieks in the act of charging, is everybodies skill halved again or not?

Thanks in advance for any help

Yes - the effects of a Shriek stack, so in your example, the Shrieked unit's SKILL is halved again. Nasty!

As an aside, in questions like this (when it's not so obvious in the rules) that simply means I've not thought of it; but my thought processes are generally "the more brutal the better". So if you're playing a game and something like this comes up, always go with the more brutal answer!

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 pm

So just to check but if the unit of dynwocor were joined by a prifdynwocor then that would be two different shrieks from that unit plus the shriek of the cocwocor?

Another case - If a dreaguth thain joins a unit of dreaguth who also have a dwimor bound to them, that's three shrieks from the one unit right? Eeep.

Do the multiple slowed effects also stack or is it just once incidence of being slowed?

Final check - If a shrieking unit attempts to engage a counter engaging unit (it turns out these are going to be less common in our games now I've had the roaring rule properly explained to me - massive derp) what happens if they pass their shriek test? Usually they'd stop at the half way point and the counter engagers would then engage them. If the counter engaging unit is slowed and the slowed result is such that they cannot cover the distance between the two units, is this then a failed engagement?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 am

HughB wrote:So just to check but if the unit of dynwocor were joined by a prifdynwocor then that would be two different shrieks from that unit plus the shriek of the cocwocor?

Yes.

HughB wrote:Another case - If a dreaguth thain joins a unit of dreaguth who also have a dwimor bound to them, that's three shrieks from the one unit right? Eeep.

Yes.

HughB wrote:Do the multiple slowed effects also stack or is it just once incidence of being slowed?

No, you can only be Slowed once. See p111, 3.8.8.1.3: Combined Moves.

HughB wrote:Final check - If a shrieking unit attempts to engage a counter engaging unit (it turns out these are going to be less common in our games now I've had the roaring rule properly explained to me - massive derp) what happens if they pass their shriek test? Usually they'd stop at the half way point and the counter engagers would then engage them. If the counter engaging unit is slowed and the slowed result is such that they cannot cover the distance between the two units, is this then a failed engagement?

Yes, it's a failed Engagement, if they can't make it in. He can always roll a 0 for his slow move rate! Bear in mind too that you can Shriek at any point during the Engage Move; so don't mess that up...

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”