various questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Krikke

various questions

Postby Krikke » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Greetings,

I'm working on mustering a byzantii/infernii host.

I want to muster a host's command with a centurion (general), a signifer (host banner bearer) and a gladiator (host champion). I think this would be really cool visually.
However it seems this is not possible, the centurion has authority 86 while the gladiator has a whopping authority 88. So that would mean the gladiator has to become the general? Seems odd to me. Could someone please shed some light on this?

If I think of any other questions I'll post them in this topic.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Krikke
Last edited by Krikke on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: question about mustering

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 am

Hi Krikke

Yeah, that's not right. I'll change the Gladiatorius' AUTHORITY to 78.

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Postby Krikke » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Hello there,

I have some more questions :) .

1. The byzantii onager can be crewed by 2 ballistarius. As it is shots per crew, does this mean it gets to throw 2 stones with 1 shoot dice each? Or the other way round?

2. Regarding shoot modifiers. If a target is 3" further then effective range, do I apply both the +1 modifier for being further then effective range and the +1 modifier for every 3" further then effective range.

3. While mustering a host command, does any of the nobles ubiquity matter?

Thank you kindly.

Cheers,

Krikke
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 am

Krikke wrote:1. The byzantii onager can be crewed by 2 ballistarius. As it is shots per crew, does this mean it gets to throw 2 stones with 1 shoot dice each? Or the other way round?

Look in the rule book - p224, 6.30.3.3.2 - Shot Engines. Shoot dice are multiplied by how many crew warriors are within bind distance of the engine.

Krikke wrote:2. Regarding shoot modifiers. If a target is 3" further then effective range, do I apply both the +1 modifier for being further then effective range and the +1 modifier for every 3" further then effective range.

Yes.

Krikke wrote:3. While mustering a host command, does any of the nobles ubiquity matter?

As it says on p6, "Nobles in the host's command do not add to the COMMAND AUTHORITY of the host's command; their AUTHORITY simply has to be less than or equal to the AUTHORITY of the general, who is the host's command's commander.".

Cheers
Rob
Krikke

Re: various questions

Postby Krikke » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi there,

had a game yesterday and some questions popped up.

1. Regarding war engines: they have to be on hold orders meaning they are the very last units that can be activated. Can they however be chosen to be activated with a retain the initiative or forcing the initiave while there are still units left under attack order?
I found it hard to find a use for the war engines because of the activate last, given the fast paced nature of darklands.

2. Another question regarding the war engines. For example the byzantii skorpio. The war engine is mounted on a 60mm base but the crew are on 30mm bases. Can they shoot over intervening units with a smaller base size then the war engine? Or are they blocked by all base sizes due to the 30mm bases of the crew?

3. Frenzied units under flank order, seeing how they are not on the board and waiting in ambush, are they still at the top of the activation sequence because of the frenzied?

4. The Byzantii invocation Quicken: regarding the price, do you count the strength of the entire unit or only the 3 possible models you are trying to transform into demilegionarius?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Regards,

Krikke
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: various questions

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Krikke wrote:Hi there,

had a game yesterday and some questions popped up.

1. Regarding war engines: they have to be on hold orders meaning they are the very last units that can be activated. Can they however be chosen to be activated with a retain the initiative or forcing the initiave while there are still units left under attack order?

Of course. Retaining / Forcing changes the Initiative as required!

Krikke wrote:I found it hard to find a use for the war engines because of the activate last, given the fast paced nature of darklands.

Indeed so, but I will be introducing "war engine commanders" (such as a Ballistarius Option) that have a special ability to enable war engines to activate at the same time as a MOVE order.

Krikke wrote:2. Another question regarding the war engines. For example the byzantii skorpio. The war engine is mounted on a 60mm base but the crew are on 30mm bases. Can they shoot over intervening units with a smaller base size then the war engine? Or are they blocked by all base sizes due to the 30mm bases of the crew?

Blocked. They need to see to be able to see something, but don't forget their best targets are larger enemies, which they can see as they are larger than intervening 30mm dudes.

Krikke wrote:3. Frenzied units under flank order, seeing how they are not on the board and waiting in ambush, are they still at the top of the activation sequence because of the frenzied?

Yes they are. There are no rules that specify they are different - they activate like other Frenzied units, on the battlefield or off. See p121, 4.2.3.1.4: Frenzied Units Attack.

Krikke wrote:4. The Byzantii invocation Quicken: regarding the price, do you count the strength of the entire unit or only the 3 possible models you are trying to transform into demilegionarius?

Good point. It's 4+ 3 - I'll make this explicit.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”