Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm starting to look closely at my ysian collection now and as a previous cryxian player, I'm loving me some flesh drune and nithing action. I've got a couple of questions to firm up how the fleshdrunes work however if I may?

The flesh drune create action. Is that an effortless action? Can a flesh drune potentially create three different things per activation if it stands still and does nothing else? It says in the rules for creation that the things created are solitary. Does this mean that it can't, for example, create two brutes? If it is able to create two brutes can it create them as a unit of two or are they separate units of one?

Nithings. The rules say that they need to be within 2" of a combat action. Does this mean an ongoing combat or where a previous combat has occurred? If we start putting corpse tokens down where anything has died, can a nithing pilfer from these corpse tokens or can they only scavenge from ongoing combats? Is a scavenge action an effortless action or is it vigorous/wearying? Can a nithing run and scavenge mid run or can it only walk and then scavenge? Can a nithing scavenge from multiple combat action sites mid activation or only one per activation?

Flesh carts. The nithings rules say that flesh carts can carry 60 flesh. There are currently no rules for flesh carts in the ysian muster. Is this an oversight or is this intentional and flesh carts will be something that will potentially get a model at a later date?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

H
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm

HughB wrote:I'm starting to look closely at my ysian collection now and as a previous cryxian player, I'm loving me some flesh drune and nithing action. I've got a couple of questions to firm up how the fleshdrunes work however if I may?

The flesh drune create action. Is that an effortless action?


No, it's a full action. I should have added vigorous...!

HughB wrote:Can a flesh drune potentially create three different things per activation if it stands still and does nothing else?


Nope. Just the one...

HughB wrote:It says in the rules for creation that the things created are solitary. Does this mean that it can't, for example, create two brutes?


Hmm, that's a throwback. I'll remove that. This is what it will say:
"The construct warrior may be placed in another unit with the same profile as its own within 2” or within a unit just of itself, which may then Bind to other units as per its abilities in future hours. Meat-Hulks are Solitary warriors and may only be created in a unit of one warrior."

HughB wrote:If it is able to create two brutes can it create them as a unit of two or are they separate units of one?


See above.

HughB wrote:Nithings. The rules say that they need to be within 2" of a combat action. Does this mean an ongoing combat or where a previous combat has occurred?


At the moment, this means ongoing combat.

HughB wrote:If we start putting corpse tokens down where anything has died, can a nithing pilfer from these corpse tokens or can they only scavenge from ongoing combats?


They will be able to.

HughB wrote:Is a scavenge action an effortless action or is it vigorous/wearying?


It's vigorous. I'll add that.

HughB wrote:Can a nithing run and scavenge mid run or can it only walk and then scavenge?


Walk / Scavenge or Scavenge / Walk.

HughB wrote:Can a nithing scavenge from multiple combat action sites mid activation or only one per activation?


One per activation.

HughB wrote:Flesh carts. The nithings rules say that flesh carts can carry 60 flesh. There are currently no rules for flesh carts in the ysian muster. Is this an oversight or is this intentional and flesh carts will be something that will potentially get a model at a later date?


Generally I don't add profiles to musters unless there's a miniature coming (although I have broken that rule recently!!) - so watch out for it...

A short missive: all of the actions noted on warrior profiles will be expanded to take the form of the fuller actions in the Savage Hordes book; I can fill in the blanks only so much as there's only so much space on a profile. Suffice to say many of the profile actions can be merged into one action, and that'll be done at some point...

...and yes, I'm still working on the Savage Hordes book. I do hope to have it ready for summer next year, however. He says...

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

So to summarise; I can create one thing per game turn from a flesh pile that the flesh drune is in base contact with and I could do this having walked into base contact with the flesh pile. So no creating whole new units of brutes at the start of a game but I could 'top up' a unit of whatever if I have enough flesh tokens

EDIT: top up is the wrong term, that would suggest I'm trying to heal something in a unit with the flesh pile (I can't do that right? Engage weasel mode). I meant add another model into an already existing unit.


A nithing can scavenge from corpse tokens (sorry my own fault for not being clear on what I meant by this). Is this limited to dead creature objects - when a large based warrior dies - or can it be from points where a warrior of any size has died? And it can scavenge from a combat that is ongoing and damage has been dealt to something. As it has to be within 2" of a combat, does that mean within 2" of any warriors in combat or within 2" of the point where the bases meet/where they are in closest proximity etc? Sounds like it might be quite easy to kill a nithing iether inadvertantly or deliberately. Particularly if you've got a bunch of frenzied brutes bimbling around in combat.

Sorry to be a pest about this, just confirming how much like a necrosurgeon and his stitch thralls the flesh drune and his nithings are.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am

HughB wrote:So to summarise; I can create one thing per game turn from a flesh pile that the flesh drune is in base contact with and I could do this having walked into base contact with the flesh pile. So no creating whole new units of brutes at the start of a game but I could 'top up' a unit of whatever if I have enough flesh tokens


Yes.

HughB wrote:EDIT: top up is the wrong term, that would suggest I'm trying to heal something in a unit with the flesh pile (I can't do that right? Engage weasel mode). I meant add another model into an already existing unit.


Correct.

HughB wrote:A nithing can scavenge from corpse tokens (sorry my own fault for not being clear on what I meant by this).


Well, dead warrior tokens, gotta get the terminology right! ;)

HughB wrote:Is this limited to dead creature objects - when a large based warrior dies - or can it be from points where a warrior of any size has died?


Any dead warrior token.

HughB wrote:And it can scavenge from a combat that is ongoing and damage has been dealt to something. As it has to be within 2" of a combat, does that mean within 2" of any warriors in combat or within 2" of the point where the bases meet/where they are in closest proximity etc?


It says within, not completely within (there is a difference - see p12, Measuring Distances), so any point of any base in the combat. I am probably going to restrict it to dead warrior tokens only at some point though.

HughB wrote:Sounds like it might be quite easy to kill a nithing iether inadvertantly or deliberately. Particularly if you've got a bunch of frenzied brutes bimbling around in combat.

Sorry to be a pest about this, just confirming how much like a necrosurgeon and his stitch thralls the flesh drune and his nithings are.


You're not a pest!! I welcome all questions and want to improve Darklands as much as you - please ask as much as you want!! Nobody is ever a pest.

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Nice one. Thanks Rob. I suppose I can understand why you might want to limit the nithings to scavenging from dead stuff rather than getting in the way of active combats and all the odd rules situations that that might throw up. I do rather like the idea of a bunch of nithings being 'clever' setting themselves up in what they think are prime scavenging positions only to be inadvertantly trampled over and killed by a unit of foaming abhorrents though. Which of course would drive the flesh drune nuts cos he'll then have to make some more. And they'll probably make the same mistake.

You've got to find the comedy in necromancy. Fact.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 pm

HughB wrote:Nice one. Thanks Rob. I suppose I can understand why you might want to limit the nithings to scavenging from dead stuff rather than getting in the way of active combats and all the odd rules situations that that might throw up. I do rather like the idea of a bunch of nithings being 'clever' setting themselves up in what they think are prime scavenging positions only to be inadvertantly trampled over and killed by a unit of foaming abhorrents though.


Well, that will still probably happen - they've got to get to the dead warrior tokens, and if the nearest combat is producing them...

HughB wrote:Which of course would drive the flesh drune nuts cos he'll then have to make some more. And they'll probably make the same mistake.

You've got to find the comedy in necromancy. Fact.


You're not wrong!

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 pm

So what happens to a dead warrior token when a nithing scavenges from it?

Is the dead warrior token removed?
Is the unit strength of the dead warrior reduced by one? So a dead warrior token from a warrior of unit strength 4 would be reduced to 3 (so does one unit of flesh equate to one unit strength)
Is the dead warrior token completely unaffected and does it just remain where it is?

EDIT

Question about the number of nithings that a fleshdrune can have bound to them. So the rules seem to state that a fleshdrune is obliged to have at least one nithing bound to itself at the start of a game. The rules also appear to say that it can have a maximum of three nithings bound to it. Slight problem with that is that if the flesh drune wants to create more nithings from their fleshpile, they can only create a batch of three. Does this mean that if they create three from ten flesh, the flesh drune is allowed to have four bound to him, can he have three bound to him and one then acts independently or do you just spend ten flesh to create two nithings for a total of three if one is bound to him already?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm

HughB wrote:So what happens to a dead warrior token when a nithing scavenges from it?

Is the dead warrior token removed?


Yes.

HughB wrote:Is the unit strength of the dead warrior reduced by one? So a dead warrior token from a warrior of unit strength 4 would be reduced to 3 (so does one unit of flesh equate to one unit strength)


No, a dead warrior object would just be removed, and then that amount of strength becomes flesh.

HughB wrote:Is the dead warrior token completely unaffected and does it just remain where it is?


No, it's removed.

Bear in mind all this is not written down - I'd wait for full rules if I were you. I'll try to do this in the next iteration of the Ysian muster.

HughB wrote:Question about the number of nithings that a fleshdrune can have bound to them. So the rules seem to state that a fleshdrune is obliged to have at least one nithing bound to itself at the start of a game. The rules also appear to say that it can have a maximum of three nithings bound to it. Slight problem with that is that if the flesh drune wants to create more nithings from their fleshpile, they can only create a batch of three. Does this mean that if they create three from ten flesh, the flesh drune is allowed to have four bound to him, can he have three bound to him and one then acts independently or do you just spend ten flesh to create two nithings for a total of three if one is bound to him already?


Good point - I'll fix that of course, but for now, treat them as not Bound to him at all if he has more Nithings than he can have (i.e., create another unit of them).

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am

So when you say that amount of strength becomes flesh, does this mean you get 1D10/3D10 flesh per point of strength?

Can the nithings scavenge from undead/constructs or does it need to be (freshly dead) living flesh?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

HughB wrote:So when you say that amount of strength becomes flesh, does this mean you get 1D10/3D10 flesh per point of strength?


Yes.

HughB wrote:Can the nithings scavenge from undead/constructs or does it need to be (freshly dead) living flesh?


It will be dead warrior tokens only.

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 am

Sorry I wasn't very clear with that question. Does an undead/construct/infernii leave a dead warrior token behind when it is killed/banished/rendered more undead(dead undead)/no longer functional?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 pm

HughB wrote:Sorry I wasn't very clear with that question. Does an undead/construct/infernii leave a dead warrior token behind when it is killed/banished/rendered more undead(dead undead)/no longer functional?


Oh I see.

Yes they do.

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Sweet. Thanks for the reply.

That raises the question of what fleshdrune in their right mind would try and stitch a piece of atalantes construct onto a piece of dragon/jotunn/etc etc. Answer; absolutely every fleshdrune. It might even work. Modelling opportunities for red hot lava type stuff dripping out of mangled construct bits into/onto whatever the construct is attached to? Colour me intrigued.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 am

Hehehe

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am

Usually I'd be sorry that I'm flogging a dead horse but in this context, I think its appropriate.

Question: What are the consequences to the greater bound unit if/when a nithing gets charged by an opponent model and, inevitably, smeared across several yards of darklands terrain? If a nithing bound to a flesh drune flees from an attempt to enage it in combat, does the flesh drune and any other nithings also bound to the fleshdrune also have to flee? If a nithing doesn't run from combat and gets killed, does the flesh drune and any other nithings have to take a fortitude check to avoid running from the source of combat despite not being involved in the combat? Basically how tightly does this rather special case unit follow the rules for units generally?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm

HughB wrote:Usually I'd be sorry that I'm flogging a dead horse but in this context, I think its appropriate.

Question: What are the consequences to the greater bound unit if/when a nithing gets charged by an opponent model and, inevitably, smeared across several yards of darklands terrain? If a nithing bound to a flesh drune flees from an attempt to enage it in combat, does the flesh drune and any other nithings also bound to the fleshdrune also have to flee? If a nithing doesn't run from combat and gets killed, does the flesh drune and any other nithings have to take a fortitude check to avoid running from the source of combat despite not being involved in the combat? Basically how tightly does this rather special case unit follow the rules for units generally?

Thanks in advance for any advice.


Well, it being a Bound unit, it follows all the rules for a Bound unit! Not sure how else you'd want it to be honest - it's a Bound unit, it follows Bound unit rules...

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm

My bad. I'm not as familiar with the rules for compulsory and involuntary unbinding (and unbinding generally) as I could/should be. So basically from what I've read in the unbinding section, if a nithing is killed then the rest of the bind unit definitely doesn't mind and if a nithing isn't killed but does flee from combat then the rest of the bind unit probably doesn't care.

I can see definite potential for using nithings as chaff to lead frenzied units away from my battle lines and towards the board edge if that is indeed the case. Three chaff models for ten flesh and if I'm not actively finding new ways to kill them then they help out with the recycling? Nithings are awesome!
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Well, the unit formed is a Bound unit, so it behaves as a single unit, no matter what the Nithing does; if the Nithing gets into combat, the rest of his unit are obliged to support him, if the Nithing flees, the Bound unit flees, etc. etc.

The key thing to remember here is that Bound units behave as one unit!

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby HughB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:52 pm

So try to make sure that he passes his fortitude test (twice cos of fearful) and gets properly smeared across the front of whatever hits him cos that would force break the bind and the rest of the unit doesn't have anything to worry about. Try not to let him flee because then the rest of the bound unit has to also flee and certainly don't let him survive a round of combat cos otherwise they'd have to pile in to help him out?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Fleshdrunes, Nithings, Scavenging and Fleshcarts

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 am

Yes, but don't forget that if he's in combat the rest of the unit can support him (Attack Move).

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests