Forked Lighting

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
DrNO172000

Forked Lighting

Postby DrNO172000 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 am

Played 500g worth of Trolls today vs 500g of Werwulf's got wrecked pretty bad (Werwulfs are no joke on the charge) but before my Trolls got demolished I cast Forked Lighting and that leads me to how does Forked Lighting work?

1)"Roll a D5 and then add 1 to the result, called
the forked roll result. The Invoker must select as many
potential Marked units as the forked roll result to become
Marked units."

I'm, assuming this must include Friendly units since they can be potential marks?

2) "The Invoke dice apply to each Marked unit"

Now how does this work? Does each Marked unit have 5 dice rolled against it? We ruled as the 5 dice are rolled against the skill value of the majority mark as per "invoking at a mixed mark with sight invocations", then distribution we did random distribution. I know we did this wrong, or at least I'm pretty sure we did but we needed to make a hasty ruling to keep the game flowing. How is Forked Lighting supposed to be resolved?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Forked Lighting

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 am

Right! Finally got some time to answer...

DrNO172000 wrote:Played 500g worth of Trolls today vs 500g of Werwulf's got wrecked pretty bad (Werwulfs are no joke on the charge) but before my Trolls got demolished I cast Forked Lighting and that leads me to how does Forked Lighting work?

Marked units."

I'm, assuming this must include Friendly units since they can be potential marks?

Yes, that's correct.

DrNO172000 wrote:2) "The Invoke dice apply to each Marked unit"

Now how does this work? Does each Marked unit have 5 dice rolled against it? We ruled as the 5 dice are rolled against the skill value of the majority mark as per "invoking at a mixed mark with sight invocations", then distribution we did random distribution. I know we did this wrong, or at least I'm pretty sure we did but we needed to make a hasty ruling to keep the game flowing. How is Forked Lighting supposed to be resolved?

Well, it's as it says - the invoke dice (i.e., whatever you rolled out of the 5 - let's say 3 got through) are applied to each unit.

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Right! Finally got some time to answer...

DrNO172000 wrote:Played 500g worth of Trolls today vs 500g of Werwulf's got wrecked pretty bad (Werwulfs are no joke on the charge) but before my Trolls got demolished I cast Forked Lighting and that leads me to how does Forked Lighting work?

Marked units."

Yes, that's correct.

DrNO172000 wrote:2) "The Invoke dice apply to each Marked unit"

Well, it's as it says - the invoke dice (i.e., whatever you rolled out of the 5 - let's say 3 got through) are applied to each unit.

Cheers
Rob

Ok just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

A unit of Trolls, Beowa, and unit of Werwulfs are all potential targets and I roll high enough to include each one. So I then roll my 5 invoke dice, the skill I roll against will be the majority mark? So 3 get through, each unit then must make 3 avoid rolls (except for the trolls who can choose to fail)?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am

DrNO172000 wrote:Ok just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

A unit of Trolls, Beowa, and unit of Werwulfs are all potential targets and I roll high enough to include each one. So I then roll my 5 invoke dice, the skill I roll against will be the majority mark? So 3 get through, each unit then must make 3 avoid rolls (except for the trolls who can choose to fail)?

That's a good point, and one I'd not considered. I'll change it to make it explicit that you choose one of the Marked units; so that means it's even more brutal as you'll always choose the lower SKILL unit. Mwah ha ha ha!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”