Simultaneous Damage & when to mark down CON

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Geoff

Simultaneous Damage & when to mark down CON

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:40 am

Have I understood this correctly - all the attacks a unit can make in one attack action are simultaneous (say, bite, horns and trample) and that the defenders combined C&A remain at the amount they were at the start of the attack - as opposed to being whittled down, making each successive attack (during that attack action) a little easier.

And I assume the wounds are deducted before a counter-attack is made, or are ALL the wounds given and received only deducted after the attack and counter-attack actions are completed?

Thanking you
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Simultaneous Damage & when to mark down CON

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 am

Geoff wrote:Have I understood this correctly - all the attacks a unit can make in one attack action are simultaneous (say, bite, horns and trample) and that the defenders combined C&A remain at the amount they were at the start of the attack - as opposed to being whittled down, making each successive attack (during that attack action) a little easier.

The key paragraph is on p198, 6.20.3.1.2: Splitting Attacks, second paragraph (below the example). If you are using one or more combat weapon against the same Attacked warrior you must combine the Attacks from those combat weapons so that they occur simultaneously. Effectively, you're performing separate Attack actions at the same time, and calculating damage after they're all finished.

Note that it is not a requirement to combine the Attacks from separate warriors, so you could technically Attack a Grimtroll, say, with 10 Ax-Drunes one after the other, deducting wounds after each Attack; but the reality is that you'd do much more damage with combined Attacks (trust me - I've tried it) and it's a lot less fun for everybody if you do that.

Geoff wrote:And I assume the wounds are deducted before a counter-attack is made, or are ALL the wounds given and received only deducted after the attack and counter-attack actions are completed?

Yes, wounds are deducted before a counter attack, which of course kill things and/or reduce attack dice. Otherwise there'd be no point chancing your arm with something small I think.

Cheers
Rob
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for the quick reply Rob. Yeah, just wanted to make sure that I remembered what you said during our scrap on Sunday. Cheers for the rules ref number too, always good to know.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Bump...

We've been playing this wrong..

We have performed separate attacks and deducting damage after each attack, potentially making the next attack weapon harder to parry....
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Brightblade wrote:Bump...

We've been playing this wrong..

We have performed separate attacks and deducting damage after each attack, potentially making the next attack weapon harder to parry....

Again, it's up to you to combine or split as you wish. I've always found splitting way more annoying than anything else, and a lot less fun, more time-consuming, etc. etc.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”