Victorious Attack Reform for reactive unit.

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Icchan

Victorious Attack Reform for reactive unit.

Postby Icchan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:30 am

So this happened last night in a game, a group of 10 hoplites were already engaged with a Troll Konung at the start of the battle hour and decided, as the active unit, to attack him. The king survived and after his attack reaction all of the hoplites were dead the king was unengaged. Do reactive models get to make victorious attack move reforms like active units do? Could the king for example use this move to engage a new enemy unit nearby?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Victorious Attack Reform for reactive unit.

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

Icchan wrote:So this happened last night in a game, a group of 10 hoplites were already engaged with a Troll Konung at the start of the battle hour and decided, as the active unit, to attack him. The king survived and after his attack reaction all of the hoplites were dead the king was unengaged. Do reactive models get to make victorious attack move reforms like active units do? Could the king for example use this move to engage a new enemy unit nearby?

Yes, absolutely, although you can't Reform into another unit's attack range unless you're already engaged with or beset by them.

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:46 am

Excellent, thanks.
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Just to highjack this a little: In the example given, could the Troll Konung have performed a breakthrough reaction if he also becomes triumphant as well as victorious in order to engage another enemy unit if he were no longer engaged or beset?

And to add to this, if he were frenzied, would he then be able to carry on with any charge actions that this caused him to perform? So a frenzied unit could, from being attacked by an enemy unit, end up blending through other enemy units (in the same way that they can if they were the attacking unit and not attack reacting) as long as they ended up not being beset or engaged with enemy models after the attack reaction was resolved?

As far as I can tell, this is how it plays out with frenzied, but I just wanted to confirm.
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:59 am

I don't think you can react to a reaction.
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 am

Icchan wrote:I don't think you can react to a reaction.

I meant if he was the one reacting. I may have mistyped.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 am

Grizzle wrote:Just to highjack this a little: In the example given, could the Troll Konung have performed a breakthrough reaction if he also becomes triumphant as well as victorious in order to engage another enemy unit if he were no longer engaged or beset?

And to add to this, if he were frenzied, would he then be able to carry on with any charge actions that this caused him to perform? So a frenzied unit could, from being attacked by an enemy unit, end up blending through other enemy units (in the same way that they can if they were the attacking unit and not attack reacting) as long as they ended up not being beset or engaged with enemy models after the attack reaction was resolved?

As far as I can tell, this is how it plays out with frenzied, but I just wanted to confirm.

Again, no - you have to have Charged to be able to perform a Breakthrough reaction.

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Grizzle wrote:Just to highjack this a little: In the example given, could the Troll Konung have performed a breakthrough reaction if he also becomes triumphant as well as victorious in order to engage another enemy unit if he were no longer engaged or beset?

Again, no - you have to have Charged to be able to perform a Breakthrough reaction.

Cheers
Rob

Would a counter-charge reaction count for this as part of a counter-engage?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Grizzle wrote:Would a counter-charge reaction count for this as part of a counter-engage?

Yes, if it's a Counter-Charge. It's a Charge action.

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Grizzle wrote:Would a counter-charge reaction count for this as part of a counter-engage?

Yes, if it's a Counter-Charge. It's a Charge action.

Cheers
Rob

Ok, cheers Rob, that is how we were playing it, but I wanted to confirm. Luckily I've only had the one situation against some Anglecynn where I kept breakthroughing due to charging and then constantly either destroying the enemy unit or finding myself unengaged or beset by them, meaning I kept performing a charge action due to the breakthrough.

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”