Chase movement requirements

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Icchan

Chase movement requirements

Postby Icchan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:32 am

Not sure if we played this entirely correctly, but last night my unit of trolls lost combat to a unit of tomb spiders and failed their panic reaction and were forced to flee. As a result of the flee move, they were pretty scattered around the board (I rolled a 9 on the flee distance, but so did the spiders :D ), so we were wondering how are the chase moves performed? Rules said the chasers have to full move towards the fleeing unit, but can multiple chasers choose the same target warrior, effectively all of the running in the same direction, or is it like charge moves where they have to pick a free warrior to move towards?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Chase movement requirements

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Icchan wrote:Not sure if we played this entirely correctly, but last night my unit of trolls lost combat to a unit of tomb spiders and failed their panic reaction and were forced to flee. As a result of the flee move, they were pretty scattered around the board (I rolled a 9 on the flee distance, but so did the spiders :D ), so we were wondering how are the chase moves performed? Rules said the chasers have to full move towards the fleeing unit, but can multiple chasers choose the same target warrior, effectively all of the running in the same direction, or is it like charge moves where they have to pick a free warrior to move towards?

When you say "multiple chasers" do you mean individual warriors, or multiple units? I think you mean the former: in that case, the Tomb Spiders must remain in unit coherency of course, but as long as they maintain that they can go wherever they want - as long as it's directly towards the fleeing unit.

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 pm

I meant individual warriors with multiple, you got it. Thanks. Would probably help if all movements were somehow defined as direct movement (turn only at starting point) and indirect movement (turn at any point), whenever warriors are required to move.

Another question if we played the fleeing unit correctly, the fleeing unit doesn't care about coherency, correct?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Icchan wrote:I meant individual warriors with multiple, you got it. Thanks. Would probably help if all movements were somehow defined as direct movement (turn only at starting point) and indirect movement (turn at any point), whenever warriors are required to move.

It does state that in the Chase sequence - it's Directly Towards. Or do you mean something else?

Icchan wrote:Another question if we played the fleeing unit correctly, the fleeing unit doesn't care about coherency, correct?

No, they still have to remain in coherency.

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Yeah that's what I meant, just wasn't 100% sure that directly towards is the same as direct movement. I'm kind of a robot brain, I like it when game terms act like keywords. :)

Shit, for some reason I just assumed they don't care about coherency (which made sense to me since they were broken and fleeing) because it fleeing warriors had to flee directly away from the enemy.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:29 am

Icchan wrote:Yeah that's what I meant, just wasn't 100% sure that directly towards is the same as direct movement. I'm kind of a robot brain, I like it when game terms act like keywords. :)

Well, that's why it says Directly Towards... see p106, 3.8.2.4.1: DIRECT MOVEMENT...

Icchan wrote:Shit, for some reason I just assumed they don't care about coherency (which made sense to me since they were broken and fleeing) because it fleeing warriors had to flee directly away from the enemy.

They may be broken, but they'll still act as a unit until they're destroyed or off the table.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”