Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

A place to tell the world about your games of Darklands
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Geoff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 pm

What a misadventure we had tonight! I totally whupped Arthurs goatmen (yay) but we probably got more than a few rules wrong and the victory will be moot (booo) and we have more questions than answers this week!

Battle plans drawn and orders issued. The ax-drunes March x3 Pace towards the bullocks! The Legend that is Brugg, his bird and his dog go straight at the goatmen.

Image


It's bad when your models start bitching amongst themselves. Building and painting minis can lead to an unhealthy bonding with toy soldiers.

Image


This is just dead sweet. Love in bloom. Brugg knows what makes a good date, he's a real ladies man-thing.

Image


We're off! The Bulls rush in to meet the Drunes and over at the t'other side the Goatmen reform and hold.

Image


Top fight in the foreground, the Ax-Drunes and the bulls charge and counter-charge each other. The highly skillful Ysians take down one of em before they know whats hit em. The bulls' strike back and the Ysians take barely a scratch, to the great surprise of EVERYONE. T'other side of the field, the sheeples hold, waiting for a big ol' smacker.

Image


The Ysians actually won this fight, but it was close and the mishandling of removing blood tokens led to the bulls claiming a victory. We realised later but we decided to not bother retconning it. The Ysians stood their ground, passing their panic check, so all was groovy. Whilst doing all the post-fight shenanigans we got a lesson in Exult token identification. The banner one threw us for a loop. What was it? How did it get there? We placed them thinking it just denoted who was the banner bearer but couldn't find anything in the book about it...

Image


The best fight of the night about to kick off good style. This is where the confusion begins...

Image


The goatmen rush in and decide to split their attacks between the two heroes...

Image


But get well fucked *wink and thumbs up*

Image


We could not comprehend how to tally up the victory here. It was ONE unit of Gabrax Vs TWO individuals. If Seza and the hund had been a unit, no problem, but this was a three way scrap after counter-attacks occurred. As you can see blood tokens were added when required. Hopefully Arthur will weigh in and explain it better, now there's some pictorial reference. We did screw up with counter-charging vs an indirect engagement, we realised that, but that's beside the point. Our ????? was how to resolve the attack action - whose STRength do we use, Seza's or Hund? Because there are no units in base contact with Hund, is he auto victorious? But there IS a unit in base contact with him, but it's facing Seza. It was A SINGLE attack action with THREE units but the resolution rules seem to deal with one vs one. Yeah, Arthur could do with chiming in and extrapolating the situation better I think.

Anyway, good scrap Arthur and an enjoyable evening! Don't take offence at me ribbin' your troops, just having a laugh man!
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:22 am

Geoff wrote:What a misadventure we had tonight! I totally whupped Arthurs goatmen (yay) but we probably got more than a few rules wrong and the victory will be moot (booo) and we have more questions than answers this week!


Brilliant! I love this stuff.

Geoff wrote:We're off! The Bulls rush in to meet the Drunes and over at the t'other side the Goatmen reform and hold.


Remember to say Baagath's Herd like "ba-a-a-a-gath's herd", like a goat would...!

Geoff wrote:The Ysians actually won this fight, but it was close and the mishandling of removing blood tokens led to the bulls claiming a victory. We realised later but we decided to not bother retconning it. The Ysians stood their ground, passing their panic check, so all was groovy. Whilst doing all the post-fight shenanigans we got a lesson in Exult token identification. The banner one threw us for a loop. What was it? How did it get there? We placed them thinking it just denoted who was the banner bearer but couldn't find anything in the book about it...


It's mentioned on p34, II.III Exult & Dismay Token Set.

Geoff wrote:We could not comprehend how to tally up the victory here. It was ONE unit of Gabrax Vs TWO individuals. If Seza and the hund had been a unit, no problem, but this was a three way scrap after counter-attacks occurred. As you can see blood tokens were added when required. Hopefully Arthur will weigh in and explain it better, now there's some pictorial reference. We did screw up with counter-charging vs an indirect engagement, we realised that, but that's beside the point. Our ????? was how to resolve the attack action - whose STRength do we use, Seza's or Hund? Because there are no units in base contact with Hund, is he auto victorious? But there IS a unit in base contact with him, but it's facing Seza. It was A SINGLE attack action with THREE units but the resolution rules seem to deal with one vs one. Yeah, Arthur could do with chiming in and extrapolating the situation better I think.


Unfortunately I'm a little confused here as to who attacked what and how it all happened, and how you worked out the attack results (a rundown of the full attack results would be great) - but I'll endeavour to make things clearer...

For Strength, see p206, Calculating Combat Strength and p207, Greater Strength. Only count engaged warriors as the Gabrax are not in Shieldwall. The Gabrax count their strength against all of the enemy warriors they are in combat with combined, but Seza / the Hound are not a unit, so they only count their own strength against the Gabrax engaged against them. The key word here is "engaged".

Looking at your picture, Seza is engaged with 3 Gabrax. Her strength is 4, theirs is 3. She is strong. The hound is engaged with 1 Gabrax. His strength is 4, theirs is 1. He is strong x 4 (see p 207, strength multiples). So they *both* get strong tokens, as they are not in a unit. Attack results are resolved unit by unit and attack scores are found for each unit. Find the Gabrax's attack score against Seza, the Gabrax's attack score against the hound, then Seza's, then the Hound's.

Then you compare Gabrax v Seza and Gabrax v the hound and perform attack result reactions accordingly. Always perform the attack result reaction with the greatest victory score first.

The hound is still engaged with a Gabrax, so I'm not sure about your question there - he is still part of that combat, so he's not victorious unless the Gabrax are defeated.

Does that make sense?

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 am

Rob Lane wrote:Brilliant! I love this stuff.


Excellent, time well spent, thanks.

Rob Lane wrote:Remember to say Baagath's Herd like "ba-a-a-a-gath's herd", like a goat would...!


Hehe, will do!

Rob Lane wrote:It's mentioned on p34, II.III Exult & Dismay Token Set.


It is indeed, cheers for that. Just looking on that page it states "As soon as unit removes its exulted token, it becomes resolute" - what happens if a unit has multiple exulted tokens? Does it become resolute if it loses its first?

Rob Lane wrote:Unfortunately I'm a little confused here as to who attacked what and how it all happened, and how you worked out the attack results (a rundown of the full attack results would be great) - but I'll endeavour to make things clearer...


Yeah, it was a confusing one to us too and I doubt I'm able to explain it much better, but I will try. Despite the poor wordage, you have the gist of it though Rob, bravo.

[quot=e"Rob Lane"]For Strength, see p206, Calculating Combat Strength and p207, Greater Strength. Only count engaged warriors as the Gabrax are not in Shieldwall. The Gabrax count their strength against all of the enemy warriors they are in combat with combined, but Seza / the Hound are not a unit, so they only count their own strength against the Gabrax engaged against them. The key word here is "engaged".[/quote]

Yes, we only counted the ENGAGED warriors.

Rob Lane wrote:Looking at your picture, Seza is engaged with 3 Gabrax. Her strength is 4, theirs is 3. She is strong. The hound is engaged with 1 Gabrax. His strength is 4, theirs is 1. He is strong x 4 (see p 207, strength multiples). So they *both* get strong tokens, as they are not in a unit. Attack results are resolved unit by unit and attack scores are found for each unit. Find the Gabrax's attack score against Seza, the Gabrax's attack score against the hound, then Seza's, then the Hound's.


This is really the crux of the matter I think - that one particular Gabrax stuck inbetween the Ysians... He was rolling to hit and damage Seza whilst other warriors in his unit fought the hound (and are dead at this point).

Rob Lane wrote:Then you compare Gabrax v Seza and Gabrax v the hound and perform attack result reactions accordingly. Always perform the attack result reaction with the greatest victory score first.


Rob Lane wrote:The hound is still engaged with a Gabrax, so I'm not sure about your question there - he is still part of that combat, so he's not victorious unless the Gabrax are defeated.


Yeah but THIS Gabrax was engaging Seza (all the Gabrax fighting the hound got eaten). Or does he still count as 'hound engaged' because of his proximity (i.e. his base is touching the hounds)?

It's a tricky one and one that we really wished we could have had you hologrammed onto to the table at time! Cheers for your help mate, appreciated.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Geoff wrote:It is indeed, cheers for that. Just looking on that page it states "As soon as unit removes its exulted token, it becomes resolute" - what happens if a unit has multiple exulted tokens? Does it become resolute if it loses its first?


Only one exulted token can be attached to a unit - I'm talking about the purple sword here, not blood tokens nor any other kind of token.

Exult tokens are all the different tokens that improve your unit; an exulted token signifies that the unit is exulted.

Hope that makes sense...

Geoff wrote:Yes, we only counted the ENGAGED warriors.


Cool!

Geoff wrote:Yeah but THIS Gabrax was engaging Seza (all the Gabrax fighting the hound got eaten). Or does he still count as 'hound engaged' because of his proximity (i.e. his base is touching the hounds)?

It's a tricky one and one that we really wished we could have had you hologrammed onto to the table at time! Cheers for your help mate, appreciated.


The Gabrax is engaged with both Seza and the hound because he is within attack range of both and vice versa.

Hope that helps here...! Feel free to keep asking, that's what I'm here for!

Cheers
Rob
Arthur
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Arthur » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Cracking write up Geoff, loving the captions.

It was a tough match for the herd, we were toe to toe swinging and I think for every pt of damage I did, Geoff did nearly 5 back.... painful!
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Looking forward to the next one boys. No pressure!

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Arthur VS Geoff 3rd Game

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Cheers Rob. Seza's got her heels on (all three of 'em) and is right looking forward to her Friday night out tomorrow. It's rough in Preston though mate. Hope I don't find her at the back of the kebab shop at three in the morning with her compels and influences out, having a fag with the lads. Christ, I dread to think what I'll be typing here once I get her some female company...

Return to “Battle Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest