Ask Me Questions!

Somewhere to discuss or ask questions about the lore surrounding the Lands of Darkness.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Right then lads and lasses, a discussion with Dan Pratt privately has led to the creation of this here forum.

Ask me questions about Darklands lore!

Go on!

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:18 pm

A question that was asked on Facebook was why does the the Prifdyndraig use a dragon skull as a shield given the reverence they show the fallen draconic creatures?

Also what form of reverence do they show the dead? Is is a form of faith or a more Native American honouring the ancestors style?
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 71/100
Dan Pratt
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: Kent, OH, USA

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Dan Pratt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Do each of the kindreds have seafaring capabilities? For example, would Eriann come across and raid Brythoniaid? Would Kthones sail off to threaten Ysians, Jutes, etc.?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:A question that was asked on Facebook was why does the the Prifdyndraig use a dragon skull as a shield given the reverence they show the fallen draconic creatures?


Well, it's an honour thing. Using the skull of a dead draig ensures he is still affecting their enemies even in death.

Jonathon Chester wrote:Also what form of reverence do they show the dead? Is is a form of faith or a more Native American honouring the ancestors style?


Just honouring ancestors.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Dan Pratt wrote:Do each of the kindreds have seafaring capabilities? For example, would Eriann come across and raid Brythoniaid? Would Kthones sail off to threaten Ysians, Jutes, etc.?


Absolutely.

In history the Irish raided the Welsh coasts a lot (and settled there, in many areas of around the west coast), and the Khthones would indeed sail off to threaten the rest - using natural sea creatures of course rather than boats. There are also sea-snakes, there's turtles, etc. etc.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I would recommend you all create your own topics...

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
demyse
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby demyse » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:28 pm

How far does the byzantii empire expand (ie what modern countries does it encompass)

Also with the byzantii monstrous beasts and infantry, are they bred, enslaved or willing combatants
100 mini 2018 - 103 mierce (68 other)
100 mini 2019 - 25 mierce (51 other)
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:47 pm

demyse wrote:How far does the byzantii empire expand (ie what modern countries does it encompass)


Southeast France (think Vichy extent) and some northeast areas of Spain, most of Italy, the Balkans, Turkey, etc. plus some enclaves in north Africa. They find the Rus rather problematical and the middle east is not theirs. Germania is of course a problem too, still.

demyse wrote:Also with the byzantii monstrous beasts and infantry, are they bred, enslaved or willing combatants


All of those!

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 pm

demyse wrote:How far does the byzantii empire expand (ie what modern countries does it encompass)

Also with the byzantii monstrous beasts and infantry, are they bred, enslaved or willing combatants


- they're usually captured by the Ysians, handled properly and sent back at them with a ravenous apetite, an irony not lost on their Emperor. ;)
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:36 pm

The Ysians and Byzantii are indeed mortal enemies... ;o)

I'm already wondering why I'd not added a Lore forum before now. Sigh. Thanks to Dan Pratt's questionings, here it is guys...

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
demyse
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby demyse » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am

Is there an entry point from which the Infernii come from (sorry to quote Buffy but are there any hellmouths) or do they just appear via summoning?
100 mini 2018 - 103 mierce (68 other)
100 mini 2019 - 25 mierce (51 other)
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am

There are indeed hellmouths... the biggest is in Byzantium (i.e., modern day Turkey), but they are dotted around the south east of Europe and the middle east.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
demyse
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby demyse » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 am

Rob Lane wrote:There are indeed hellmouths... the biggest is in Byzantium (i.e., modern day Turkey), but they are dotted around the south east of Europe and the middle east.

Cheers
Rob


What do they look like? are they big blasted out jagged rocks?
Can anyone go in them or is it one way only?
100 mini 2018 - 103 mierce (68 other)
100 mini 2019 - 25 mierce (51 other)
Tim Fisher
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Tim Fisher » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am

Why is Yrag so goddam ugly, crooked of tooth and sneaky of manner?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:58 am

Because he's a git.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 am

Rob, would you prefer we just ask the questions and put you on the spot or are you open to submissions and ideas from the player-base (us!)

What is/will there be a process of submitting new lore - either completely new due to no current description of a given subject, or additional information to 'flesh-out' (no pun intended) existing entries - and having it approved by you and made 'official'?

You won't want anyone messing about with canon, mainly because it could contradict your 'road map' for future releases, your vision of Darklands, and of course quality assurance, so some guidelines would be good to know up front.

I could presume you would prefer people PM you with ideas so that they don't get written anywhere without your approval, but you may not be too keen on reviewing lots of PM's in addition to your already busy schedule or you may not want anyone at all to fuck about with new stuff, in which case that's cool too.

Cheers man, it's an incredible world you've created for us to enjoy.
Last edited by Geoff on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am

Darkgeoff wrote:Rob, would you prefer we just ask the questions and put you on the spot or are you open to submissions and ideas from the player-base (us!)


Well my first question is - what do you mean by submissions and ideas?

To be honest the lore is the ONLY thing I'm really protective about regarding Darklands; the lore is either from my brain or it's not Darklands. There are certain things I may agree with to a point, certainly if there's scientific stuff in there (for example: Dan Pratt is a geologist and tells me all sorts of things about... well, rocks), but if an idea is not part of my vision for Darklands then it won't be a part of Darklands.

Darkgeoff wrote:What is/will there be a process of submitting new lore - either completely new due to no current description of a given subject, or additional information to 'flesh-out' (no pun intended) existing entries - and having it approved by you and made 'official'?


No, never. Sorry! I'll never allow anyone to submit Darklands lore.

Darkgeoff wrote:You won't want anyone messing about with canon, mainly because it could contradict your 'road map' for future releases, your vision of Darklands, and of course quality assurance, so some guidelines would be good to know up front.


There'll never be any guidelines because I'll never open it out to anybody else I'm afraid... it's just not going to happen.

Darkgeoff wrote:I could presume you would prefer people PM you with ideas so that they don't get written anywhere without your approval, but you may be too keen on reviewing lots of PM's in addition to your already busy schedule or you may not want anyone at all to fuck about with new stuff, in which case that's cool too.

Cheers man, it's an incredible world you've created for us to enjoy.


Thank you - and I hope you enjoy it all!

I'm sorry if you feel any of the above is harsh: but the Darklands lore has been in my head for nearly thirty years, and it's too important to me to allow anyone else to mess with it. I hope you all understand!

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:57 am

Totally understand good sir! Nothing harsh about your answer, just wanted to enquire about it from the off that's all. Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply.
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

So, is there any backstory for that lovely lass Torku? Can you elucidate on 'a mutant gone wrong'? There's no info on the webstore page which stuck me as odd considering her size, cost and general disgustingness. I shudder to imagine her 'flith spray' attack, so no need for that much detail... I was more interested in who she was/how she came to be. There are some lesser models in the monstrous infantry whom do have some bio's that don't beg the question 'what the hell is that?!'
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Cheers Geoff!

As for Torku... the less said the better, but she was once human. The flesh-smiths are insane...

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm sure I saw women like her in Mansfield once...
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 71/100
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm

That's weird, because Torku is actually from Bedworth ;)

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Brightblade
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Brightblade » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm pretty sure I dated her once... lol
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Hey Rob, wondering if you can shed any light on these place names and provide your thoughts and what you intend them to mean.

As you can see I'm collecting as much reference I can find into one place and it is bringing to light questions, which are good to ask and fill in the blanks. I've been looking at possible translations beginning with Kernewek (and getting a nice introduction to various Brythonic languages into the bargain so thanks for that), Welsh, Gaelic, Scotttish, etc.,

Probably not the best way to format this but the simplest presentation I could think of without going all scholarly-like. I understand they won't be literal translations, so your interpretations will be really good to know. I'm sure they'll be very evocative. I love this stuff and hope I won't be getting on anyone's nerves with future queries.

I get that some of these may not be at all close, so thanks very much if you take a look :), cheers.


Carn: Hill, Peak, Tor...

Carn Dhu - Black?
Carn Wrach - ...of the Witch
Carn Dinas - Fort
Carn Maen - of stone
Carn Lann - flat, blade, scale (of fish), enclosure, yard, dwelling or land.
Carn Bran - Raven, Crow
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn: Hill, Peak, Tor...


Well strictly speaking it's a pile of stones, but that become anything craggy on hills; and it became synonymous with fort or fortress. So, hillfort, really.

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn Dhu - Black?


Yes - Black Fortress.

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn Wrach - ...of the Witch


This is based on Carn Wrach in Pembrokeshire - http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=23331 - and Carn Watch in Cornwall, simply swapping the names which I had no problems with because the Cornish were, of course, once Welsh (well, British), until us pesky Anglo-Saxons divided them at the Severn Estuary.

Anyway, you're right - it's a Welsh word that means Witch.

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn Dinas - Fort


Dinas means city, really.

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn Maen - of stone


Yes.

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn Lann - flat, blade, scale (of fish), enclosure, yard, dwelling or land.


Yep.

Darkgeoff wrote:Carn Bran - Raven, Crow


Yes.

All the above are either real Carnau, by the way, or based on them. I've actually been to Carn Dhu...

Image

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Geoff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:51 pm

That looks like an amazing day out there, Rob, thanks for sharing the photo. I can imagine a big 'ol bridge leading from a towering citadel perched on that promontory, baulking at the weight of Ax-Drunes as they march forth against their (many) foes! Great stuff.

May I ask if you'd kindly provide (at least) a couple of descriptive sentences for the Ysian fortresses, hill forts and ... I don't know maybe even towers, that are currently given only passing reference to in the existing lore. As many units and individuals are written as coming from them, they do kinda beg for a little more information and I'm reluctant to provide any descriptions in the compendium that are not by your hand.

We know that Ysian and Byzantii forces are on each others doorstep along the Kery-Ys/Frankia border (though forgive me if I'm wrong), so would any of them be border forts in Breten Vyhan, or all they all in Kernow? and would they be under near-constant seige? The same can be asked regarding the border of Wesseax. The Ysians will maintain a defended harbour (An Porth), a place from which to mount raids along the coast and cross the channel to Breten Vyhan and Ys - would this in fact be Carn Dhu, though the coastline looks a bit too rugged for that? Carn Dinas - the name implies are larger settlement than others - and is implied to be a 'teeming city' in the bio of Morcum, An-Bow-Drune, what's that about?

Given the amount of aggressors, I'm expecting most if not all of the Carns mentioned to be in Kernow, positioned along the coasts and the Wesseax border. Would you include their locations to clear that up?

Carn Wrach, 'Fortress of the Witch'? Perhaps even 'Tower of the Witch', or merely 'Witch Fort'? Is there any reason why it earns its moniker?

Here's what I can offer as to current knowledge -

CARN DHU, Kernow, Britain.
Carn Dhu, the black fortress, skulks on an impregnable promontory of granite that dominates the coast and the lands around it. It is governed by Carrowek, a war-drune of grotesque proportions, and is host to a great army of Ax, Sword and Chain-Drunes. The land it controls is measured in many miles (and is the Ysians' main stronghold in Britain)?

Built by forgotten hands in a forgotten time, Carn Dhu is yet a testament to the power and skill of the Romanii as was, for no true Brython could work stone nor live within stone walls until the earth mother Dôn was usurped by the cross.

Among others, the dread keep is home to the seer-drune Kernuor and Zethag of Carn Dhu - Harvest-Drune, Jowan and Hounds of Carn Dhu - Hound-Master and Drune-Hounds Unit, Hounds of Carn Dhu -Biter, Snapper, Gouger.

CARN WRACH (Location)?
'Fortress of the Witch'?
Annik is stationed here, as are Crom of Carn Wrach, Perig of Carn Wrach - Goad Drune.

CARN MAEN, Kernow, Britain.
Carn Maen, (the fortress of stone')? lies upon the westernmost part of the mainland and exposed to the unforgiving, savage seas and gales around that wicked coast. The Ax-Drunes from that fortress are almost a breed apart from the Kernowek, let alone other humans. The birthplace of Branok, Bann-Ax-Drune, whom is destined to become its lord.

Arthyen, Branok, Talan - Ax-Drunes, are stationed here. Also Hedroc of Carn Maen, Mawgan, Drano, Dinorg of Carn Maen - Ax-Drunes.

CARN DINAS (Location?)
Land locked, teeming city, fortress, home of the Bow-Drunes.
Morcum, Kena are just two of the many Bow-Drunes stationed at Carn Dinas.

CARN LANN (Location?)
Fortress of the Blade?
Judoc's stompin' ground.

CARN BRAN
'Fortress of the Raven'?

Units stationed here: Alix of Carn Bran,Shadows of Carn Bran, Cador, Gawen, Massen, Kitto, Santoc - Shadow Drunes.

Obviously the Carns are minor details in the scope of Darklands as a whole and one may be wondering why I'm interested in going as far as asking you, but lore is lore, it is by its nature very interesting and, this is after all, Ysian lore. I can't help but ask, plus, there's a lot of empty entries at the bottom of the compendium ;)

- also, are the Rose of Ker-ys and Sairen Rose one and the same? Has she kinda got a Bruce Wayne/Batman thing goin' on? Academic reasons y'see.

And thanks for the name thing - :) You DO have mercy!
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Geoff wrote:That looks like an amazing day out there, Rob, thanks for sharing the photo. I can imagine a big 'ol bridge leading from a towering citadel perched on that promontory, baulking at the weight of Ax-Drunes as they march forth against their (many) foes! Great stuff.


Yeah, it was actually, lovely place to go. It's actually just off a natural harbour too.

Geoff wrote:May I ask if you'd kindly provide (at least) a couple of descriptive sentences for the Ysian fortresses, hill forts and ... I don't know maybe even towers, that are currently given only passing reference to in the existing lore. As many units and individuals are written as coming from them, they do kinda beg for a little more information and I'm reluctant to provide any descriptions in the compendium that are not by your hand.


See below for my answer about lore...

Geoff wrote:We know that Ysian and Byzantii forces are on each others doorstep along the Kery-Ys/Frankia border (though forgive me if I'm wrong), so would any of them be border forts in Breten Vyhan, or all they all in Kernow?


There'd definitely be some in Breten Vyhan, for sure.

Geoff wrote: and would they be under near-constant seige?


No, not at all. Regular siege, I would say. At least once/twice a year (in real terms) they'd be raided. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Geoff wrote: The same can be asked regarding the border of Wesseax.


Same answer really. The borderlands are constant strife, to be sure, but it's rare they are in open war for long. There's plenty of raiding, mind.

Geoff wrote: The Ysians will maintain a defended harbour (An Porth), a place from which to mount raids along the coast and cross the channel to Breten Vyhan and Ys - would this in fact be Carn Dhu, though the coastline looks a bit too rugged for that?


Well Carn Dhu is actually a headland protecting a natural harbour at Lamorna Cove - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50%C2%B003'37.4%22N+5%C2%B033'16.0%22W - so it's definitely a place they'd sail from. But yes, they'll definitely maintain defended harbours.

Geoff wrote:Carn Dinas - the name implies are larger settlement than others - and is implied to be a 'teeming city' in the bio of Morcum, An-Bow-Drune, what's that about?


Well, it's a city. Bear in mind city back then is not city now... so you're only looking at a few thousand inhabitants. Carn Dinas is inland. Look for Castle an Dinas on google maps.

Geoff wrote:Given the amount of aggressors, I'm expecting most if not all of the Carnau mentioned to be in Kernow, positioned along the coasts and the Wesseax border. Would you include their locations to clear that up?


Nope! The lore does have to remain somewhat vague - there needs to be some way to fire your imaginations. This way you can invent your own Carn for your host - you're not tied to something already made. I feel this way because of how I feel whenever I play other people's games - Warhammer, Hormachine, even Flames of War - I like to have my own backstory to a host, and you can't do that if I'm too detailed.

Geoff wrote:-snip-
Obviously the Carns are minor details in the scope of Darklands as a whole and one may be wondering why I'm interested in going as far as asking you, but lore is lore, it is by its nature very interesting and, this is after all, Ysian lore. I can't help but ask, plus, there's a lot of empty entries at the bottom of the compendium ;)


I'll be honest, asking me to do lore is putting me on the spot and I can't write lore like that. I have to do it when my brain is ready. Sorry...

Geoff wrote:- also, are the Rose of Ker-ys and Sairen Rose one and the same? Has she kinda got a Bruce Wayne/Batman thing goin' on? Academic reasons y'see.


No, she's just a handy miniature for the Death-Melusine. At some point there'll be a proper Death-Melusine.

Geoff wrote:And thanks for the name thing - :) You DO have mercy!


You're welcome!

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
demyse
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby demyse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am

If hell is real (Fiends for the Byzantii/Infernii), is heaven? (and if so would we see any god squad 'monsters')?
100 mini 2018 - 103 mierce (68 other)
100 mini 2019 - 25 mierce (51 other)
Jonathon Chester
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am

demyse wrote:If hell is real (Fiends for the Byzantii/Infernii), is heaven? (and if so would we see any god squad 'monsters')?


I thought the Nailed God took a pray and I won't care approach...
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 71/100
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 pm

demyse wrote:If hell is real (Fiends for the Byzantii/Infernii), is heaven? (and if so would we see any god squad 'monsters')?


Hell is just a word in Darklands, as is heaven! The demons are natural beings, they're just ascribed to "hell" by the Christians, who believe the devil is manifesting himself in them. They are summoned through Sorcery of course, which is a different thing, and they're diabolic because they live under the earth in very hot, sulphuric (volcanic) places and the atmosphere above the earth is toxic to them, and by consuming blood or flesh they invigorate themselves. There. I've just given you a massive snippet of lore that I've not really told anywhere else...

There'd never be any god squad monsters - angels, I guess - as the overtly Christian dudes use faith to conquer the mind, so they have buffs for psychology, etc. I'm not saying there are or are not god monsters that we can't see, mind. It's deliberately vague and always will be.

Souls are real, mind. Or at least, the belief in souls is.

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby HughB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Hen Ogledd - do you have any further categories of dragon/wyvern etc for the more northerly Brythoniaid kingdoms? Were there any that have since been hunted to extinction?

What were the etten again? I think you have mentioned this before in that the ettehnwiht is a dead version of the etten.

How do the various realms of the norse interact with one another? Do the trolls exist as a separate nation from the humans or alongside them? Do the jotunn have an organised society or are they disparate wanderers/barbarians?
painting challenge 2019 - 37/100

All absolute statements are false
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:23 pm

HughB wrote:Hen Ogledd - do you have any further categories of dragon/wyvern etc for the more northerly Brythoniaid kingdoms? Were there any that have since been hunted to extinction?


Not really, nothing different to what you see in Gwynedd. There may be something else up in the north though, possibly...

HughB wrote:What were the etten again? I think you have mentioned this before in that the ettehnwiht is a dead version of the etten.


Simply put, giants. Etten or ettin is an old English word for giant.

HughB wrote:How do the various realms of the norse interact with one another? Do the trolls exist as a separate nation from the humans or alongside them? Do the jotunn have an organised society or are they disparate wanderers/barbarians?


They're part of Jötunheimr, a separate realm of the Norse. They're fiercely independent mountain tribes that have a semi-organised society as well as wanderers. They love fighting and plundering. Simple as that really...

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby HughB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:35 pm

So broadly the Ysians feel that the brythoniaid abandoned them as the angelcynn pushed west.

How did/do the brythoniaid feel about the Ysians immediately post separation and since the Ysians fall - abandonment of the brythoniaid way of life.

Do the dragons etc have any particular antipathy for the ysians?
painting challenge 2019 - 37/100

All absolute statements are false
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 am

HughB wrote:So broadly the Ysians feel that the brythoniaid abandoned them as the angelcynn pushed west.


Correct - this was very much the case for the Cornish in real life, I believe. Well, so the histories say.

HughB wrote:How did/do the brythoniaid feel about the Ysians immediately post separation and since the Ysians fall - abandonment of the brythoniaid way of life.


Well, they obviously think them heathens and savages of course - being Christian, they hate what the Ysians have become - but then the Brythoniaid look down on pretty much everyone except other Christians. They respect the Seaxna and the Christian Irish, whilst tying up their camels of course.

HughB wrote:Do the dragons etc have any particular antipathy for the ysians?


Not really. They're just tiny enemies!

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby HughB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Hadn't really thought of the brythoniaid as being all that christian but you're right, as romano-british they very much were christians. And of a very different flavour of christianity to the Irish christianity too.

I take it dragons don't really go in for christiainity. They do have their own magic though so do they have much of their own religion - other than ancestor veneration?
painting challenge 2019 - 37/100

All absolute statements are false
James Balmer
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby James Balmer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 am

Rob Lane wrote:Right then lads and lasses, a discussion with Dan Pratt privately has led to the creation of this here forum.

Ask me questions about Darklands lore!

Go on!

Cheers
Rob


Alright then.

Given the commonly accepted theory that Christianity spread to the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, beginning in the Kingdom of Kent (Cant), with Augustine and his Gregorian Mission entering the country and converting the then king of Kent Æthelberht.

How does the (strong, perhaps even fanatical) presence of Christianity among the Wesseax and Northumbras come about?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am

HughB wrote:Hadn't really thought of the brythoniaid as being all that christian but you're right, as romano-british they very much were christians. And of a very different flavour of christianity to the Irish christianity too.

I take it dragons don't really go in for christiainity. They do have their own magic though so do they have much of their own religion - other than ancestor veneration?


That's basically it, ancestor veneration.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

James Balmer wrote:Alright then.

Given the commonly accepted theory that Christianity spread to the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, beginning in the Kingdom of Kent (Cant), with Augustine and his Gregorian Mission entering the country and converting the then king of Kent Æthelberht.

How does the (strong, perhaps even fanatical) presence of Christianity among the Wesseax and Northumbras come about?


Put very simply (it's a lot more complicated than this in Darklands because the Franks are semi-pagans), Æthelberht was converted, but the Cantish court turned on him and so he fled to Wesseax, where he and his wife Bertha - along with Augustine - began converting those guys. Simply put, switch Kent for Wessex and you're on. Their daughter still married Edwin of Northumbria, who was converted, and then killed by Penda.

Cheers
Rob
James Balmer
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby James Balmer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 am

Rob Lane wrote:
James Balmer wrote:Alright then.

Given the commonly accepted theory that Christianity spread to the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, beginning in the Kingdom of Kent (Cant), with Augustine and his Gregorian Mission entering the country and converting the then king of Kent Æthelberht.

How does the (strong, perhaps even fanatical) presence of Christianity among the Wesseax and Northumbras come about?


Put very simply (it's a lot more complicated than this in Darklands because the Franks are semi-pagans), Æthelberht was converted, but the Cantish court turned on him and so he fled to Wesseax, where he and his wife Bertha - along with Augustine - began converting those guys. Simply put, switch Kent for Wessex and you're on. Their daughter still married Edwin of Northumbria, who was converted, and then killed by Penda.

Cheers
Rob

Awesome, so I can still blame Berty and Augustine.
Thanks for the quick reply on that, it'd been bugging (heh) me for a while that the supposed first Christian kingdom was using the dead and pagan shape-shifters as a major source of its strength.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am

Yea, I have to fudge certain things to get other things in. Blame the Isle of Wight, it's too awesome a name not to use!

Cheers
Rob
Tiern Gwitreg
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Tiern Gwitreg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:38 pm

HughB wrote:Hadn't really thought of the brythoniaid as being all that christian but you're right, as romano-british they very much were christians. And of a very different flavour of christianity to the Irish christianity too.


Actually in real-life Welsh, Breton and Irish christianity were quite close to each other thanks to missionnaries who traveled a lot around those countries (Sant Brieg, breton saint, was Welsh, Sant Padrig was educated in Brittany, etc...), though I can imagine Brythons christians becoming much more close-minded thanks to the Ysian betrayal and the monsters swarming around ; after all fanatism is a powerful tool to weld a people together against a greater evil...

Btw, what about Christendom in Albainn ? From my readings, the christianisation of our-world pictish kingdoms began as soon as Saint Patrick died, and was well underway in 650. How did it go in Darklands ?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:Btw, what about Christendom in Albainn ? From my readings, the christianisation of our-world pictish kingdoms began as soon as Saint Patrick died, and was well underway in 650. How did it go in Darklands ?


It got nowhere - there's no Christians in the Darklands Albainn... the Dál Riata are, of course, Christian, like the Irish they came from, but the Albainn see the Oghu as their only religion.

You would get some missionaries, of course - but some would get very short shrift indeed.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Grizzle
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 am

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Grizzle » Fri May 24, 2019 6:14 pm

I've thought of one;

Do Ysian Harvest Drunes ever ride anything? (sub-text: Cock-beasts & Breast-bounders).
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Rob Lane » Fri May 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Grizzle wrote:I've thought of one;

Do Ysian Harvest Drunes ever ride anything? (sub-text: Cock-beasts & Breast-bounders).


They ride any man they can get their hands on... and then afterwards...

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Lore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests