lessons learnt from games.

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
crazyfeet36

lessons learnt from games.

Postby crazyfeet36 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Hey All,

I know the rules havent been out all that long, but i thought id post this to get tips and thoughts from everyone.

I've played a few 1k gold ish games so far and though im still getting hang of the rules, some of the things ive picked up are -

A good number of activations seems pretty important. One of the games i played i had a hero in a unit and a monster, the guy i played had maybe 3 or 4 more units to activate than me. I just got completely out manoeuvred.

Monsters and monstrous infantry hit like a truck, but throw a guy with high skill in and they get really bogged down. in my game penda vs sronax was so one sided in favour of penda it wasnt funny.

Chaff can be fed to feral units forcing them to activate and attack back, leaving you ok to throw something good in after (dependant on me reading the rules right).

About all for now. Has anyone else had any games and got any thoughts? sorry if this is a bit rambley, posted late and tired.
deadlydeceiver

Re: lessons learnt from games.

Postby deadlydeceiver » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 am

Heyho,

I thought I might write a short summary of my last game here, maybe it's of interest for someone.

The game itself was great, great fun. We played 1200 Gold Ysians against Khthones (played by me of course) and allowed for shooting units this time, so I took my 2 basilisks with me and my newly painted 4-armed cobra-gorgon.
These were the involved hosts (both slightly above the limit, so we said it's alright):

Ysians
Carrowek
- 7 Ax-Drunes incl. command
- 5 Brutes incl. champ
- Torku, Bone-Abberant

Hedroc, Battle-Drune w/ Battle Chain
- Druc, Meat-Hulk

Khthones
Gorgon w/ Gorgon Blades
- 3 Gorgonares incl. Champ
- 1 Hydrar

Petroyos, Liskarchon
- Mazikilias, Vasilisk

While my shooting prooved very strong (my mate even fluffed a constitution test on 95 an a D100, which would have killed - petrified - his Druc outright, but I granted him a reroll as it would have spoilt the game) it turned out badly when he reached me.

The first round I managed to take constitution from Carrowek and Torku with the gazes, which got round the Wound- modifiers as they don't roll wound dice. It was a nice plan, but my opponent learnt quickly and hid in woods.

His meat-hulk and brutes charged my Gorgon in subsequent rounds and I later split attacks to take the remaining 15 constitution of the hulk, failed and was destroyed. The vasilisk then managed to destroy those two units in close combat over several rounds.

On the other side of the field my 3 Gorgonares managed a charge on his Ax-Drunes and killed... none... in the first round. In the second I wiped 4 of the 7 drunes (as the remaining 3 were out of range) but when those 3 charged back in my buddy rolled so many 9s that he killed 2 of my giant snakes, then his Bone-Abberant, charged in and sealed the fight.

The final fight was my Liskarchon and the Hydrar against his battle-drune who I managed to kill quite quickly, but not before Carrowek, managed to join the fight. The Hydrar was then killed outright and the basilisk lasted no more than 2 rounds as he was also charged by Torku which prooved to be terribly resistand against any kind of damage.

In the end I only had my vasilisk, who was just occupied too long in his combat with the Brutes and Druc and so couldn't use his gaze to pick the remaining units off before they reached him, as my opponent was smart enough to send the three remaining Ax-Drunes as vanguard, sacrificing them to bind the vasilisk one more hour.

It was a fun game and quite exiting all the time. In the beginning it looked like the two basilisks would win the battle with their gazes alone, but my opponent learnt fast, hid in woods and wiped my in close combat.
Next time we might use magic as well.

These are the lessons I learnt:
Wound- is super strong and units without Wound+ can basically do nothing against them.

High skill (on a gorgon) is great for attacking, but no sufficient defense against 5 brutes (well, and Druc) ^^
The general can always hold and brace when attacked and then "unbrace" when he attacks back. Super strong move!

Do not underestimate Ax-Drunes! They might die easily, but their might is quite high and the wound+ might hold for an evil surpirse.

Also bigger units (like said Ax-Drunes) are great for receiving a charge, as only those in weapon range can die and the remaining models might then charge back in themselves.
So again: Do not underestimate human-sized units!

Shooting (stone gazes) is very strong and forces the enemy into hidding, thus slowing him down (and in case of the gazes good at cancelling wound-)

Mazikilias is a beast!!! Very strong in CC (doesn't loose attacks 'til the very end) and his gaze is extreme, maybe even too strong...
Maybe a mechanic that does massive damage but only possibly kills the target would hold less possibilities for game breaking.

And last but not least: Carrowek should never ever reach your lines! And if he does, you should charge him, to da at last some damage before he kills you. He is incredibly strong and quite resistant thanks to wound-... if you play Ysians, put him on his horse. ^^

Best Sven
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Hello, everyone! I'd like to ask you. Have anyone of you learned how to beat Kraan in 999 Gold battle?
2x Gabrax units
1x Gabrax Tain on Horse
1x Kraan on Bear
Looks valid, but I really struggle to handle this =(
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:18 am

The rules have changed slightly but the last time I faced him with Khthones I destroyed his axe with one of their spells which massively cut down his damage output. It now doesn't totally remove his attacks but it reduces the attack dice to 1 and removes any bonuses from weapon abilities (+D10 etc). That effectively neutered him, he survived the game but was being slowly ground down by some Krokodar (maybe a hero) from memory.

Not sure that would be an option in 1000 for me though, that was a 2000g list.

A very specific solution I would note but there are options out there to deal with him.
Kharn

Postby Kharn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am

Hi, Dave =)
Yeah, Khthones magic has that epic tool, and yes, it can be brought in 1000 =) One of us is lucky, thanks for the point!

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”