Monstrous vs Infantry vs Mixed

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
Jonathon Chester

Monstrous vs Infantry vs Mixed

Postby Jonathon Chester » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm

I was pondering today now with the new (well new to me) method of making army lists is the age old question of can you do an all monstrous list viable? Or is it still a mixed bag taking the best route title?
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
HughB

Re: Monstrous vs Infantry vs Mixed

Postby HughB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Are you including anything that's not 30mm base size in the monstrous infantry bracket or just 60mm and above? Or in fact are you going strictly monstrous and saying it has to be on 80/100mm or above?

I've got a 1499 Norse list with no humans in that might be handy.

If you're asking does a list of monsters still stand a chance/is it viable and legal. You'll struggle to get purely monsters in a legal list but you can put together any number of 60mm and above legal hosts. You just need to know that humans bring you authority, skill, cheap ranged weapons, cheap spells and cheap activations. Putting together a list without these things therefore either has to mitigate for the lack, accept a disadvantage, or skew in a different way to gain advantage.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 pm

HughB wrote:Are you including anything that's not 30mm base size in the monstrous infantry bracket or just 60mm and above? Or in fact are you going strictly monstrous and saying it has to be on 80/100mm or above?

I've got a 1499 Norse list with no humans in that might be handy.

If you're asking does a list of monsters still stand a chance/is it viable and legal. You'll struggle to get purely monsters in a legal list but you can put together any number of 60mm and above legal hosts. You just need to know that humans bring you authority, skill, cheap ranged weapons, cheap spells and cheap activations. Putting together a list without these things therefore either has to mitigate for the lack, accept a disadvantage, or skew in a different way to gain advantage.

I tend to consider 30/40mm as infantry and anything bigger as monstrous :)

I’m just curious as I remember in the early days not taking the smaller guys often made a cool looking force but a weakened one so wondered if this had changed.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
James Balmer

Postby James Balmer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Purely anecdotal, but I've had my infantry heavy Albainn chewed up very badly by monstrous infantry/monster units before. Based on that I can only conclude that the larger units are very much on par if not vastly better than human sized infantry.
Now if there's ranged support in amongst those 30mm then this may change completely of course.

James
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:39 pm

You need to pit gold v gold. It's useless putting a unit of 10 infantry against a unit of 5 monstrous infantry because the gold costs are invariably skewed.

I've done it as an example to many people - 500 gold of Gairlom against 500 gold of Srónax.

Try it.

Cheers
Rob
James Balmer

Postby James Balmer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:56 pm

So. Many. Gairlom... I can see how flooding the entire table with gairlom could kill anything, at the very least the opposing units will never get to leave combat.

Though at the time, the units that were chewed up were probably in excess of the gold cost of the Wælwulf unit that did the eating, may not have helped with the sequential attacking, but I don't think the gairlom and friends could have mobbed the unit effectively to all engage at once.

Not saying gold against gold isn't a good general rule of thumb, but it isn't always the case.

James
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 pm

VALPHAOMEGAV wrote:Not saying gold against gold isn't a good general rule of thumb, but it isn't always the case.

It's not always the case that infantry loses against monstrous infantry either ;o)

Cheers
Rob
James Balmer

Postby James Balmer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
VALPHAOMEGAV wrote:Not saying gold against gold isn't a good general rule of thumb, but it isn't always the case.

It's not always the case that infantry loses against monstrous infantry either ;o)

Cheers
Rob

That's very true, we are all at the mercy of the dice gods at the end of the day.
In any case, it's fantastic to see unit after unit get blended even when it's you on the receiving end, or at least, sometimes it is.

I suspect great weapon infantry (ax-drunes, tuanagh etc.) may fair better against monstrous infantry than spear and shield wielders, though I also think the gairlom skill was too close to the wælwulfas to allow them to mitigate some damage. All in all, a good learning experience, regardless of outcome.

James

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”