BaraBlog - or "how I came to enjoy painting again"

For Work in Progress blogs.
Baragash

BaraBlog - or "how I came to enjoy painting again"

Postby Baragash » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Time to pop my Mierce forum cherry....

Over the last few years I've painted armies mainly for events to minimum 3-colour standard, in a rush, to finishes I've honestly been ashamed of :roll:

In 2013 I painted no models mainly due to getting married and having a baby :)

I backed KS2.0 for Nobles plus enough to have 1 Infantry, 1 Monstrous Infantry and to Monsters for Ysians and Formorains, so it's time to get back on the horse. Many years ago I bought Eirik to be a Chaos Champion in a Marauder unit, but never got round to (and probably never will) doing a Warriors of Chaos army, so as Norse are a ways down the list of factions I'm interested in he gets to be the victim of my first attempt to paint for 18 months ;)

Of the 4 materials I mainly own ("hard" plastic, metal, resin, "restic"), resin is my first choice for painting models (duh) and second for ease of cleaning up. Eirik was easy to clean, one air bubble in his right heel (easily fixed with a blob of GS and tidied with LGS) and one in the bottom of the blade on the hand axe (slightly trickier, needed several layers of LGS painted on). The longaxe was quite bent but a hairdryer persuaded it back into shape.

So bit of an accident during painting, which was annoying as I just had it resting against against my pinky with hardly any pressure. So far it has stayed glued, it wasn't a clean break though. That means if it doesn't stay glued I'll have to make a clean cut a little up towards the head, then drill through the break and pin with a piece of electrical wire (paper clip is too thick). We shall see.

Still WIP, got the belt, trousers, scabbard and axe hafts to do and possibly another highlight on the cloak and the gold. Oh and the eyes (oh gawd the eyes! :( ) This was more to experiment with a mini-photo studio I was gifted and haven't used.

So yeah, sitting down and taking my time to paint a model is fun I've not experienced in a long time, and I'm sure the quality of the models has a lot to do with that ;)
AndyP

Re: BaraBlog - or "how I came to enjoy painting again"

Postby AndyP » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Good going, look forward to seeing him finished. :-)
As I always say. At the end of the day.................it goes dark :-)
AndyS

Postby AndyS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:24 pm

I broke my axe off too mate. It will be fine I'm sure!
Wyrd bið ful aræd
Malachi B.

Postby Malachi B. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Cheers Barag! Keep on enjoying paint in! Lf for more wips
Baragash

Postby Baragash » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Done a tiny bit more work, but just been playing around trying to figure out how best to take pics (I used my tripod this time.....oo'er :wink: ). I decided there was too much brown so I matched the handle on the axe to the trousers (the trousers have also had an ink to darken them as the base was too light for me).

Return to “Work in Progress”