AlaskaPaul's general painting nonsense.....

For Work in Progress blogs.
alaskapaul

AlaskaPaul's general painting nonsense.....

Postby alaskapaul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi all, finally decided to have a go at this online lark. Basically been lurking and watching all the wonderful posts on this forum and thought id throw my hat in the ring. You'll have to bear with me tho as i've never posted before (technology gives me the willys haha) so this could be a really long journey full of bad pics and links that go nowhere. I'm gonna try and document my foray into the world of Darklands. Fell in love with the minis at salute came straight home and joined the kickstarter with the intention of forming a Formoraic host. Now that's over i'm awaiting my box of resin goodness to arrive with not only Formoraic but Byzanti also and some Norse thrown in too...ooops. After going mad on the website i sat back and realized i've never painted anything that wasn't wearing power armour, this could be a problem. So i dug through my resin cupboard (its amazing how much builds up over time) and found a suitable mini to practise on. So this is where i shall begin, do not fear tho as many Darklands minis will be on their way. Please feel free to offer advice/tips ect (be nice tho). One last thing before i try and upload a pic, i am possibly the slowest painter in the world, seriously it takes me forever, i also get distracted with new minis so ill probably be jumping around allot. Anyway lets get this party started.....

thats the beginning of the bad photos haha....some more work done...

i then decided that i needed more pressure so i thought id give a display base ago, having never tried it...hey it could be fun right

Anyway thats all for now i think, see how bored you all are before i continue haha. Got another display piece in mind for Brythonaid and my first Formoraic member on the way, Brunchaath the Vile come on down.....
Slinky

Re: AlaskaPaul's general painting nonsense.....

Postby Slinky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Base is looking amazing - Look forward to more pics!
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about mate. So far that looks great. Nice work :-)
As I always say. At the end of the day.................it goes dark :-)
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks guys really appreciate the comments. The main thing for me is to actually finish it haha doesn't happen too often.
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 pm

I Know where you're coming from :-)
As I always say. At the end of the day.................it goes dark :-)
Malachi B.

Postby Malachi B. » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Keep on paintin! LF ciin progresses!
The_Minsk

Postby The_Minsk » Thu May 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Whats that model? looking good by the way
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 pm

@Minsk it's a CMON mini sculpted by Aragorn Marks, it's been sitting in a draw for ages thought it was about time it got used. Will be adding some more pics tomorrow.
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Fri May 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Quick update, havn't had much time this week but moved ahead a couple of steps. Still got more to do tho.... hopefully get started on Brunchaath this weekend.

asoshnev

Postby asoshnev » Fri May 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Now that's one awesome base. Painting is great, too, but base is just wonderful. What materials do you use, and can you recommend a tutorial (or write your own?)?
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Fri May 02, 2014 4:17 pm

@asoshnev thanks for the comments, its nice to know im heading in the right direction. i follow all the tutorials on Miniature Mentor. Really cant praise them enough. they do cost money but they are so worth it. The main ones i used to help with the base were Mattheiu Rouche, Artis le Gnome and Ben Komets, Creating and Painting unique bases. I have most of them now and everyone has given me so much infomation, they are really well produced and a joy to watch. Material wise.... main base is a resin plinth from MDP, www.Modeldisplayproducts.co.uk, the stone on the front is just slate from B&Q, then i used Vallejo dark earth which is a resin paste. The static grass and moss is from basecreafts. I added lots of cork to the plinth which i got from amazon (its just a place mat/heat mat for pots). The tree is an old bonsai that my girlfriend gave me and i managed to kill :( it will live on forever now tho haha. I should get it finished this weekend, as its the first thing like this ive tried im really happy with it but have learnt abit so the next one should be better. Im watching the Photographing Miniatures Tutorial from MM at the mo so hopefully there will be better pics in the future :D
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Sun May 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Actually managed to finish a model haha. I really enjoyed this piece and although there are some bits i would do different if i could go back im pretty pleased with the end result. Let me know what you think....

Ive also got some pics of Brunchaath to share. This is my first Darklands mini and it was fantastic, so much detail and a real joy to paint. Im trying out an ice/snow base let me know if its working haha.

EVL HMR

Postby EVL HMR » Wed May 07, 2014 11:01 am

Really great Paul. Your metals are top drawer, really smooth transitions throughout too. I'm going to follow your progress through the Darklands world very keenly.
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”Lance Armstrong
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Sun May 11, 2014 2:46 pm

@evl hmr thanks for the comments, really nice to hear that people like my work. Got a couple of updates for you guys.

first are some final pics of Brunchaath the Vile.

next just a couple of pics of the next projects, Chaagmuth and lladd llaw who is going to be a display piece. im going to set him in a ruined aztec(ish) temple with a light sand stone for most of the base that should go well with the reds of the mini, hopefully haha

JerzyK

Postby JerzyK » Sun May 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Nice job with Brunchaath. The elements I like the most is his skin and weapon. The fur on the legs definitely needs more contrast - strands of hair should be highlighted more than spaces between them.
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Sun May 11, 2014 6:58 pm

@JerzyK Thanks for the interest. Glad you liked some of it haha, i know what you mean about the fur i got a bit lost as to what to do with it. I wanted a really light colour fur but when i added the darker brown for the contrast it made the fur look generally brown all over :? I have to tackle Chaagmuth on his boar next so there is a hell of allot of fur to practise on. Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks again for the interest :D
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Back from the dead.......hey all. been gone a little while haha but I'm back albeit in another country. hardly painted anything over the last couple of years, didn't stop buying it though. finally I've got my workspace sorted and i can carry on with darklands goodness. so here are some bits for you guys to look at. First Chaagmuth..

alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Next i have some Norse action for you....

Still needs a base though. need to stop moving on to the next mini and do some bases.
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Just some pics of future minis to get paint. Also LLadd LLaw from way back, kind of used him to practise metal and leather. Playing with the skin but I'm not sure if i like. Tried adding scale colour alchemy into the red to get a pearly look to the skin......not sure though so will keep playing.

alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Some Infernii next in the form of the awesome Scecchus. Absolutely stunning mini. Still got a bit to do, the axe, more on the metal parts and the fur and final lights on all the flesh. haha lots to do actually.

Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Looks great!! Keep up the good work!
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Love that fiend,

the mouth and tongue especially are excellent
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:43 am

Incredible work on Scecchus - as Orlando said, the Mouth and Tongue look great, the Armour is stunning too - and I like how you did the Fur on his back, awesome work!
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
Beire

Postby Beire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:09 pm

Amazing work Alaskapaul. The fleshtones are superb!
alaskapaul

Postby alaskapaul » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:40 am

Hey guys sorry for disappearing haha thanks for the comments. No progress at the moment but hoping to get back to it soon.
Blæc Panþer

Postby Blæc Panþer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:10 am

Love them sooooooooooo much!!
The details you painted in those skin are awesome!
As all ways, have a good day!
Philipp S.

Postby Philipp S. » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:16 pm

The skin on scecchus looks great. Nice colour schemes on all your minis and well chosen contrasts. Really like 'em.

Return to “Work in Progress”