Dave's Darklands delights for your delectation

For Work in Progress blogs.
Dave Fraser

Dave's Darklands delights for your delectation

Postby Dave Fraser » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:15 am

In keeping with others in gonna blog up my armies. I'll start off by posting up my kthones which I've already painted but then I have erainn and albainn coming from the metal age KS (and more from the support too!)

I've still not played a game but have over 2000 gold painted and ready for when I finally get round to it.

But before I get to all that I'll start with my first incursions into mierce in the form of the bane beasts Kickstarter. I backed for the dragon and plague demon, both stunning models. I think the plague demon is a huge step up in druk in pose and look so really went to town on him/it.

The dragon is a cool model too but I never quite clicked with it the same way but I just love painting dragons and have about 10 done across various manufacturers.

Dave Fraser

Re: Dave's Darklands delights for your delectation

Postby Dave Fraser » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:24 am

Now for the kthones. I originally picked up the snake dudes to potentially make an ogre army for WFB but then AoS happened and I get 2 for 1 now. That actually was a large motivator for getting it all painted up, plus falling in with the playtesters crowd helped too!

I got told krokod were ace, so picked up a unit & character.

I love the variety of look to the sculpts. All too often every model ins unit looks identical which is just daft.

After the kroks came some gorgonar

Lovely models again, the back banners & weapons give a bit of an oriental feel to them.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 am

Units locked down I moved to characters for the Snakemen. Possibly my favourite model in the faction is the gorgonargos (wizard).

Such a pleasure to paint and I even tried my hand a kanji on the scroll. For those that speak/can translate it's a tribute to Luke Morton.
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:45 am

Wow, truly gorgeous, well done!
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 am

Great Minis, well done!

The Eyes of the Krokdor look very lifelike, impressive! The stone effect on their weapons, their skin and the bases (well, basicly everything ;D) look ace.

But one thing has caught my eye more than anything other - the armour of the Gorgonar looks stunning, can you please share your technique how you did the metal?
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:28 am

Those painted Krokod have given me a new appreciation for that model line! Great job! (On everything!)
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Really great work all around.

What caught my eye the most was certainly the big eye on the plaque demon. Really well done and haunting.
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
cilantro

Postby cilantro » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Those are some great paint jobs. Any chance you could post a couple more shots of that plague demon? It's incredible.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:47 am

CountCrushmore wrote:But one thing has caught my eye more than anything other - the armour of the Gorgonar looks stunning, can you please share your technique how you did the metal?

I can't remember the exact colours which went into it as I use all sorts of different paint ranges but I can guess at what I've used and give you the approach/technique.

1. Basecoat with Chainmail (Vallejo game air I believe).
2. Wash with combination of purple & Black GW washes, always diluted down - most likely a mix of lamian medium & water.
3. A bit of chainmail back on the raise bits to give them some shine back.
4. Glaze with the GW blue glaze (guiliman I think) on the middle of the armour plates/top edges.
5. again some chainmail & silver highlights for extreme raised edges.

cilantro wrote:Those are some great paint jobs. Any chance you could post a couple more shots of that plague demon? It's incredible.

I only have the one picture in my photobucket and I'm away with work this week but will try and take some more pictures for you.

There are also a couple more models I've painted up:
Kadamaster

Gorgon (picture before adding swords, I used some GW grey knight 2handed swords with the techy bits cut off)

And the first of my move into the Albainn

Gomagg
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:30 am

Thank you very much for the painting guide, I will try it when I find the time.

Your Kadamastar looks awesome, very inspiring! Even if I am not the biggest supporter of the Albain I have to admit that your Gomagg looks impressive, I like what you did with the veins on his legs (and I like that Mierce have put them there ;D) - they stand out without being overdone, the hair and fur are stunning too, but the feature I like the most on him are his eyes, you captured the blind rage and aimless madness of this big bully - great paintjob!

As it was before your bases are to the highest level, they blend in very well with the miniatures - incredible!
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:53 am

Not so humble brag!

Woop Woop!
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 am

Congratulations Dave!
Érainn go Brách!

Ste Halliwell

Postby Ste Halliwell » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:36 am

Gratz Dave.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:02 am

I painted this last week/week before but totally forgot to post it up. Couldn't quite get my lighting right so the reality is part way between the first two photos! Most of the model was painted with a 1" flat brush and just multiple dry brushes after putting a base colour down, then went in with lots of washes and glazes after. Decided it was looking too plain so added the glow effect to the model and thought I'd totally ruined it so dulled it back down a bit and I think it'll be ok, but will put it in the cabinet and decide if I want to change it further.

I have a second one of these to do too, so think I'll play about with that one a bit more, gonna try for a more sodden and water logged look to the wooden bits.

Also anyone who's not checked it out yet the new KS has both the little and BIG brothers to this guy, I've gone in for both of course!
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:06 am

Looks good Dave - and just like you I'm in for both brothers of the Bog Beast :)
Érainn go Brách!

JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sun May 01, 2016 6:58 am

exceptional.. thanks for sharing
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Got my Metal Age Albainn & Erainn through and began by assembling the Albainn. Really nice models with the Gairlom (spearmen) being my first set of human sized models from Mierce. As ever with Griffin the casts are top notch quality, the unavoidable mouldlines are really small and tended to be kept to only one side of a model rather than all round though some were. I pinned all the arms because my dremel (cheap equivalent rather) hadn't seen use for a while and was getting lonely (not done much metal work for a bit).

The first tester was just to slap on a really simple basecoat and then get a wash on it, to see just how quickly you could get them to a basic 'tabletop army' standard. This comprised of 4 colours and a wash of armypainter soft tone & strong tone 50:50 (note these are the washes/shades not dip, so they dry matt). Wash still a little wet in that first pic

I think doing it to this standard would look ok on the table so if needed I can bash an army out to be ready to play at short notice (first event on 5 June) but ideally I'd like to spend some more time on it.

I then went back and started to lay down my basecoat again and then up through the highlights.

Still a bit of work to do on the flesh of the face/hands and some details to pick out but more or less there and happy with the scheme. I have been trying to force myself to push my contrast further than I normally do, after checking out some of Tim Fishers lovely Albainn, as it gives it a better pop that I think will help the army stand out, my usual work is often described as 'very natural' which translates as muted as best I can tell!
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Tue May 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Great stuff as always Dave! Got me looking forward to my Gairlom!
Érainn go Brách!

OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Great stuff there, especially the Kadamaster than nurgloid meat hulk

Return to “Work in Progress”