Cilantro paints things

For Work in Progress blogs.
cilantro

Cilantro paints things

Postby cilantro » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:36 pm

I've been working on Aradae just about forever it seems so now that the forum is back I thought I'd see what people think and maybe ask for some criticism.

I'm nearly done. I'm working on the metallics now and will then just need to do some final touch-ups. And then the base, for which I have a fairly ambitious plan.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by cilantro on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrlandotheTech

Re: Cilantro paints Aradae Mawr

Postby OrlandotheTech » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:20 pm

I like him,

but i'd suggest doing something to differentiate the wooden weapon shaft from his horns (if you're not planning to anyway)
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 am

Really like the skintones, you could push the recesses darker if you wanted a bit more contrast but still looks good as is.

Agree with above that currently the horns & wood are looking quite 'samey'.
cilantro

Postby cilantro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. I was wondering how the wood/horns thing would seem to people.

I feel like kind of an idiot. I wasn't happy with my first try on the wood so I repainted it completely. I somehow didn't realize how similar it was appearing to the horns until it was done and I took a step back.

I'll have to see if I have the will to repaint the wood again. I've spent a little too much time on this fellow as it is.

I really appreciate the critique though.
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:17 pm

even putting a dark wash over the handle would help a lot, all your horns/talons shade to pale, so darkening the handle would help a lot
cilantro

Re: Cilantro paints things

Postby cilantro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:39 am

I'm just about finished with Aradae. I have some touch-ups to do here and there where I was sloppy, and also need to darken up the axe handle as suggested.

I'm putting that monster aside for a bit because I've started on what for me will be a rather ambitious scenic base.

This will, hopefully, be a road cut into a hillside. I've been a little unsure how this will end up looking, so I though I'd paint a small figure and do a smaller version of this base as sort of a test run. For the figure I've chosen Domnech. I spent a few minutes and very roughly sketched out some base colors.

This fellow's skirts are pretty bright compared to my normal preference for muted tones. I'm pretty curious to see how it turns out and if I end up liking it. I'd like to make the skin tones a little cool, but that might not work. I'm planning to freehand maybe a vein of some different colored rock in that big stone on his back.

I'm definitely interested to hear anyone's thoughts. I'll try to keep this updated. Thanks a lot.
Skull king

Postby Skull king » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:17 am

I'm digging the colors you've chosen for Domnech!

And the Dragotaur (sorry, I forget what it's proper darklands name is) looks great!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:47 pm

hate to break it to you but I think that scenic base is a bit larger than his in game base... ;-)

need to see the robes after you've washed them down, for now they're looking rather garishly bright.
cilantro

Postby cilantro » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:38 am

Thanks for your replies. They are definitely appreciated.

I've made a little progress, and I think the dress is looking better with some shadows and lights.

I've also started on a mini version of that big base (still not game legal!).

I started off much too grey or dark on the skin, so I'm trying to lighten that up now. Hopefully there will be some more work done over the weekend.
JerzyK

Postby JerzyK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:46 am

The mini is painted thoroughly, which is really good point. However I think you should tone down the dress a bit. It looks too bright comparing to almost grey (not to say: zombie-like) skin.
cilantro

Postby cilantro » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks for the input on the colors. The dress is much more colorful than I usually paint. I do like the yellow/orange but it does still look a little bright to me. It's hard to tell if that's just my taste or what though. I'm going to brighten up the skin first to see if that makes things look a little more coherent, and then decide about the dress.

Return to “Work in Progress”