Warchild40k - WIPs

For Work in Progress blogs.
warchild40k

Re: Warchild40k - WIPs

Postby warchild40k » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 am

Ok, I think I'm about done with this one. Just finished up the base and I think it came out pretty well. I added a piece of ripped sail, added some claw and sucker marks to the hull and mast, put in a broken sword and shield, added some seaweed and foam along with some rope and also added some water effects so it appears the boat is on the shoreline littered with bits and pieces of boat and other detritus. I've included some pictures of the completed base along with the final WIP shots of Uuthüll. The only thing left I might do is add a coat of gloss varnish to give him that wet, right out of the water look. Comments or questions welcome. Thanks!

JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 am

exceptional, I think the base is just fantastic.
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Really like how he has turned out. Top job all round. I'll go on record as saying that I may steal your colour scheme for my own uuthul. Unless I feel adventurous when the time comes and then I'll steal Gefven's idea of using reds :-)
As I always say. At the end of the day.................it goes dark :-)
grefven

Postby grefven » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Great stuff... :) I love the way you did the base and placed Uuthull, so it appears like if he really tear the head off the boat and use it as a weapon "in the go". :)
Quuids

Postby Quuids » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm

The base turned out perfect. I love the overall project. The added damage to the ship/mast was a nice touch. I can't wait to get mine in the mail. You have given me some excellent ideas!

Thanks!
AndyS

Postby AndyS » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Looks great! How did you do the rust on the anchor?
Wyrd bið ful aræd
Rick_Boer

Postby Rick_Boer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Andy, I think it's http://www.modelmates.co.uk/1_en-UK/Opa ... ffect.html That stuff is great. They also have a Verdigris in development which looks awesome aswell
zedmeister

Postby zedmeister » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Fantastic. Base turned out really well and all. I can almost smell the salty air!
Quuids

Postby Quuids » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I am also curious how you got the rust effect. I was planning on using this technique but don't want to buy all those different pigments: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... =page&id=8
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Thanks all!
@Andy P Please, feel free to 'steal' any of the color schemes or ideas you want. lol I have no problems with that.

@All The rust effect was done using weathering powders over black paint. I used three different shades of rust powder. I mixed each with a little Windex to make a semi-liquid/paste and put them in various patches on the anchor. The Windex dries quickly and once it all dried I used a dry stiff brush to blend them together. It creates nice variations on the rust that look very realistic. Then I used pigment fixer to make it all permanent. It is actually pretty easy and only sounds complicated. Give it a try, it is definitely worth it.
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 pm

So my next figure is going to be Gwyddol, Dyndraig of Gwaelod. Here is a WIP of where he stands at the moment. I'm not 100% on the shade of red, I think it needs to be pushed darker so it isn't so bright. I tested out a dark blue on another figure and it didn't look right so I've gone back to red. I'm going to try some other colors on the other Dyndraig in the starter set. The hope is to get each a slightly different color or shade. We'll have to see how this one goes first though.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Looking good. Definitely agree that the red needs toning down a bit though. Where's my sunglasses gone? ;-)
razormage

Postby razormage » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 pm

I quite like the red! But then, I love bold pallates with high contrast on models, so feel free to disregard me.
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 pm

I think its a palette that works for GW or Malifaux. I just see Darklands as murkier and more realistic in its theme. I know its still fantasy but its grounded in a real period of history. Just my take on it. Live and let live and all that :-)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 pm

No I definitely agree with you Andy. I have no problem with a bold palette but want something grittier for these guys. I've tried a few other variations on color but haven't found one that feels 'real' to me. I think the red will work but want to put some dark layers over it so it isn't so pronounced.
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:28 am

I did a little more work and brought the red down a bit. Still more work to do but I think it is looking better.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:05 am

Yeah. Very dark and brooding. I like.
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:59 am

Fantastic!!.. I do like the red, but I fear if I do my dyndrag (sp) in red they will take all the sparkle away from the demons. Amazing work as always, I need to see his dentist on the whitening :)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:46 pm

You do have a good point there JLL concerning the red and the Infernii which is why I don't plan for all my Dyndraig to have the same color. There will be some variation. I view them similar to humans in that they have a variety of scale/skin tones. I started with red but will be doing other colors as well :)
grefven

Postby grefven » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Looking good. You can always use different colour washes to get a different hue with the red as basecolour. Purple, green, yellow, etc. will all make it look similar, but still different.
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Yep :) The above WIP was essentially a wash of transparent burnt umber over the original red. It darkened it overall but also added various shading effects as well and tone variations on the skin. He's essentially become my guinea pig as I try different things.

I think I'm going to keep my Dyndraig restricted to two or three base colors and then just use variations of those. Too many colors and it will start looking like an army of rainbow lizards lol. Red, green and grey seem to be the most promising. I've tried blue and purple as base colors but they just look too fantastical and I want to keep a somewhat realistic look. Though a base grey with some light variations of light blue and/or light purple can look good. I think for my next Dyndraig I'm going to start with various lights and dark greys to get the highs and lows in place and then use transparent washes to add the color.
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Think I'm about done with this guy. I may attempt some freehand on his loincloth at some point but for now I think I'm going to put a pin in it and move on to the standard bearer Dyndraig next. I haven't done any work on the base yet. Once I get the Brythoniaid starter set done I'll work on the bases to give them all a consistent look. Not sure what that is but it should come to me as I finish off the rest of the set. :)

Image Image
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Very nice. Look forward to seeing the rest of the unit.
grefven

Postby grefven » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Like it. :)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 am

I've started on the standard bearer. I took a different approach and color this time. I started off with dark grey and highlighted up several lighter shades of grey to get all the various highlights in place.

I went with a green black ink and added layers until reaching the desired color I wanted. It is the first time I've tried this approach but I quite like how it looks. Going over the grey with the translucent ink helped smooth the transitions on the highlights and makes it look smoother IMO. I still have the standard arm to do and some other highlights but so far he's looking pretty good.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 am

Looks good. Think I prefer the red though. What inks do you use? :-)
AndyS

Postby AndyS » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:12 am

Warchild40K, great technique. Similar to the 2 stage undercoat process I have begun to use. It may be worth trying that if you have not before.
Wyrd bið ful aræd
Endor

Postby Endor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Great work on great minis :) Particularly impressed by the Uuthull guy and his base - wonderful idea!
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:42 am

@Andy P. - I use several brands but this specific one was Green Black Game Ink from Vallejo.

@Andy S. - Thanks, I will have to look into it. Are you referring to undercoating in black or dark grey and then using white sprayed down from the top to create dark recesses and light highlights?

@Endor - Thanks, much appreciated!
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:43 am

I attached the arm and put it on its base for the moment. I still need to do some work on the banner obviously and a few other bits and bobs but otherwise he is mostly done.

AndyS

Postby AndyS » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:12 am

Yep 40K, that's the technique. White spray over black.
Wyrd bið ful aræd
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Here is an early WIP of my next Brythoniaid. This time it is Galhwch Lladd Llaw. This time I'm going with a dark red/brown color to start with and see how that works out. I like the red and green ones I've done but still haven't found that one color that really says "thats the one!". Anyway, here is the progress so far, as I said, it is still early going so no real highlights or anything yet.

Image Image
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 am

That is roughly the colour I had in mind. Is it P3 Bloodstone by any chance? Look forward to seeing what the next WIP produces :-)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 pm

It's a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Air Color Burnt Umber and Scarlet Red
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 am

Ok, been a while but have a few more pictures. The first two pictures are of Mabyon, the last member of my Dyndraig unit. He's still a WIP and I have some additional shading and highlights to do, add his tongue, finish is base, etc. but I think I found the color scheme I like for the Dyndraig. Naturally it wasn't until the last figure that I found a color I really liked...

ImageImage

This last picture is of my 5 Dyndraig unit, most are still WIP. Right now I am just concentrating on getting two sets of armies painted up so I can start playing around with some games. I can't bring myself to play games with unpainted miniatures lol

I think I'll move onto Geraint, Hywel and Aradae next so I can finish up my Brythoniaid army. Once that is done I'll move back over and finish my Fomoraic Tarvax army.
SteamHammer

Postby SteamHammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 am

Those are really nice. Colourful but natural rather than garish.
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:19 am

love the green, taking notes!
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:39 am

I've moved on to Aradae Mawr now and here is where he is at for now. Still much to do but he's coming along nicely. Hopefully I can finish him up this weekend and then take care of Geraint and Hywel which will finish off my 1000 point Brythoniaid muster. Then on to the Fomoraic muster

JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:53 pm

I do really like that grey-green color scheme
shadowbcfc

Postby shadowbcfc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Some great miniatures dude wish I could paint that well! Just wondering what colours you used on the cape of Carrowek? Looks amazing
The_Minsk

Postby The_Minsk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 pm

These are all very good, I love the Krakens base, very good. Your skin work onthe dragons is very nice too
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:42 am

shadowbcfc wrote:Some great miniatures dude wish I could paint that well! Just wondering what colours you used on the cape of Carrowek? Looks amazing

For the fur it was Vallejo Dark Earth and then some washes and a little dry brushing. The interior skin was Vallejo Mud Brown with some highlights and a wash of Gryphone Sepia.

Well things have been a little slow lately, hence the lack of updates. I was side tracked for the last few weeks following a certain KS you might be familiar with. But now that the party has ended it's time to get back to work :)

I'm currently trying to finish up my two 1000 gold armies of Fomoraic and Brythoniaid. And when I say finish I'm really saying that I want to get them up to at least table top standard so I can play as I refuse to play with unpainted minis. Technically almost all the models here are still WIP but they're to the point where they're good enough to play some games with.

First up is my 1000 gold Fomoraic muster:

Next is my 1000 gold Brythoniaid muster:

I will eventually do a more detailed breakdown of the musters but they are identical to the ones I listed in the Fomoraic and Brythoniaid strategy section on the forum here.

Now as you will notice, there is one Cawrdraig that is incomplete and he is the focus of this update I guess. At least he is the last one to finish up and the one currently being worked on. Now I already have Aradae Mawr in my muster as the Pencawrdraig and I needed another Cawrdraig to act as the Tâncawrdraig (banner bearer). Since there isn't a Tâncawrdraig model currently available I decided to do a little conversion work. It is still early days but this is what I've put together so far:

ImageImage
ImageImage

I'm still working on the angles for the banner pole and weapon but I think you get the general idea. The look I'm going for is that this guy is about to pin some poor sod to the ground with the banner and then hack into him with his blade. I also have to make a banner which should be an interesting exercise and I'm not really sure how that is going to fare but I guess we'll see. I haven't put on the other set of arms just yet since i'm debating on if I want to alter them. I have some ideas but they would be pretty complex and I'm not sure I want to get into that at this point. I will likely leave the lower body the same. I had thought about doing some work on the hind legs to change up the pose but again that looked to be more involved and would require a lot of time I don't have. I have a huge box of MM resin that still needs some loving after all.

You may also notice that the tail has been straightened out a bit. This was done but submerging it in boiling water for a few seconds and then slowly straightening it out once it was soft. I had wanted to do more but there is only so far you can bend it before it starts to crack or split. So I pushed it as far as I dared and then cooled it under cold water to retain the shape. If you are familiar with the model you will also notice the hands have been separated. That was a tricky bit of work but I was able to do it and not mess up the hands too much. I then had to drill out the left hand so I could slide the wooden banner pole through it. Drilling was slow but only because I spent a lot of time making sure the angle was right so I didn't make a wall to thin or angle it. I then rotated the arms a bit and had to trim some of the upper arms attached to the torso to get the pieces to match up better. It was getting late and I really should have gone to bed but instead decided to make one last cut. The head of the weapon needed to be rotated so it looked more natural in the new position. This was probably the easiest of all the cuts to make as it was just cutting off the handle from the base of the blade. Well as you can guess things didn't go quite as planned. The good news is the cut was perfect and I cut exactly where I wanted to on the piece. The bad news is I was tired and not paying attention to where my support hand was and you can see the result here (I intentionally did not imbed the picture in case some people don't like the site of blood. Though anyone who has been in this hobby for any period of time and done conversion work has likely seen their own blood on more than one occasion :D ):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Irq- ... 605862.jpg

When it happened there wasn't much pain as I had just replaced the blade and it was extremely sharp. I looked at my finger immediately after I made the cut because I could tell I just did something stupid and there wasn't much blood at first. Then it just came streaming out. I got it cleaned up and took this picture just before bandaging it up. Fortunately it was relatively shallow and straight across my finger so no tendon damage or anything more serious than a loose flap of skin. So moral of the story, don't use a blade when you're tired!
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 am

Aradae looks good, finger looks bad. Look forward to seeing how the banner goes.
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Looking good mate

(and my hydra is liberally smeared with blood too, good thing sharp cuts heal fast!
razormage

Postby razormage » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:24 pm

OrlandotheTech wrote:Looking good mate

(and my hydra is liberally smeared with blood too, good thing sharp cuts heal fast!

I'm really starting to think we need a WIP thread just for resin-induced injuries. Dropped an X-acto blade on my foot last week and badly cut my toe open as well. Should have taken pictures...
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Sounds nasty. Not done this for a long time but a massive tip for people is this. When you're sitting down and you drop your craft/xacto knife, fight the urge to bring your legs together in an effort to catch it. Fight it with all your might ;-)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm

LOL An injury thread would be pretty amusing. I can see it now, "Hey honey, come here quick and take a picture of this gushing wound! I'd do it myself but the loss of blood is making me shake and I can't focus properly."

I've not done too much more on my Tâncawrdraig but I did get a banner made. Just rolled out some greenstuff thin and made a dragon wing shape out of it. I should have let it dry while curled to give it a more dynamic look. I'll see if I can remedy that after the fact, if not I'll make up another I guess.

ImageImage

The rest of the time I had this weekend to work on miniatures was spent cleaning up some Angelcynn and Sronax. After working on so many large creatures the man sized miniatures seem so small :)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 am

I've taken a little break from my Cawrdraig and started painting up Penda. This will be part of my 500pt kindred I'm painting for the X painter comp. I'll post up this and the rest of the figures over on that thread in the near future. For now here is what I've gotten done on Penda so far.

ImageImage

ImageImage

The picture does a poor job showing any of the skin tones but they are there :) Not sure why 3 of the pictures are more yellow than the first. The first is more color accurate. I still have to finish up the cape and add various highlights, and pick out other bits and bobs but he's looking pretty good so far I think. More to come soon!
SteamHammer

Postby SteamHammer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:18 am

Great start. Can't wait to see more steps.
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 am

Loving the paint job, looks great but the join on the cloak is still visible and draws my attention instantly.

Return to “Work in Progress”