Darklands and Other Models

To show off your finished work
Sorn

Re: Darklands Models

Postby Sorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm

@Funkychef - No, they are finished. After much thought, I decided to change the base-type of the models to one that is more compatible with different terrain types - i.e., caverns, dungeons, and outdoor. The slate rock is greyish and, therefore, does not clash too much inside Dwarven Forge caverns or inside Dwarven Forge dungeons. Moreover, the slate rock can look like a rock outcropping in exterior settings, such as the Verdant green outdoor settings of my Terranscapes terrain, thus again not overly compromising realism.

I know that a lot of you like your thematic bases, which use different topographies depending on the kindred. For example, the Sronax models may have ice on their bases, and the norse trolls may have a swamp on their bases. However, I am more interested in my models meshing well with my dioramas. These disparate base types, while nice in isolation, create a jarring, disjunctive visual effect in a diorama. My goal was to maximize my ability to use my models on my different terrains with a minimum negative impact on realism. With that in mind, while the Ax-Drune champion's base looks great in an outdoor Terranscapes setting, it does not look very good inside a cavern or dungeon. This pushed me to change the base.
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Fomoraic Kindred - Bockaaruk

Formoraic Kindred - Inavaak

grefven

Postby grefven » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:52 pm

These tarvax are really good! I love the red colour that shines through. :)
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:14 am

Sorn wrote:@Funkychef - No, they are finished. After much thought, I decided to change the base-type of the models to one that is more compatible with different terrain types - i.e., caverns, dungeons, and outdoor. The slate rock is greyish and, therefore, does not clash too much inside Dwarven Forge caverns or inside Dwarven Forge dungeons. Moreover, the slate rock can look like a rock outcropping in exterior settings, such as the Verdant green outdoor settings of my Terranscapes terrain, thus again not overly compromising realism.

I know that a lot of you like your thematic bases, which use different topographies depending on the kindred. For example, the Sronax models may have ice on their bases, and the norse trolls may have a swamp on their bases. However, I am more interested in my models meshing well with my dioramas. These disparate base types, while nice in isolation, create a jarring, disjunctive visual effect in a diorama. My goal was to maximize my ability to use my models on my different terrains with a minimum negative impact on realism. With that in mind, while the Ax-Drune champion's base looks great in an outdoor Terranscapes setting, it does not look very good inside a cavern or dungeon. This pushed me to change the base.

I know exactly what you mean, it's the reason I've got 2 different modular boards on the go, plus several different basic table types that I did for my groups gaming room, we have several 'project' forces on different bases designed to work on diferent tables, and a few transition tables to bring them all together for larger battles

Either way I love the Drunes :)
Aka Dave
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:32 am

Krull versus Eirik and Vortun (both belonging to the Norse Kindred) fighting it out in a hellscape! To appreciate the beauty of the models, you really should click on the picture to view it in photobucket and then zoom into it to maximum magnification! Hope you guys like it!

[img]
Quuids

Postby Quuids » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:57 am

Awesome, it looks so much better on my computer instead of my phone. Thats an around awesome set-up. I love the DF along with the mini's, it fits Krull well.
Sacredroach

Postby Sacredroach » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 pm

The chain mail on Inavaak is great! And the hell scape is very nice. I could use some if those for HellDorado.
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 am

5 star exceptional.. as close to human as any one can ever get in 32mm
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:01 am

Ysian Bow-Drunes-

Bow-Drune 1-

Bow-Drune 2-

Bow-Drune 3

Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 am

Looking good! I really like the natural tones.

On the first two Drunes though, the arrow is on the wrong side of the bow - should be assembled to be on the other side. 3rd guy has it spot on, if you imagine him holding his bow vertically, that's the ticket. A bit of warm water or a wee blast from a hair dryer on the very low seting should make the arrow pliable so you can slot it into place.

If you wish to of course, it's far from compulsory!

Picklechu

Postby Picklechu » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am

Ooh is that a new concept pic, Tim? Which kindred will "middle-aged accountant with longbow" work for? :)
Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:09 am

Heh he might work as the basis for a Zombicide concept! :P

'Austin had just returned from archery practice to discover his wife wanted to eat his brains. A swift arrow to the eye ended her days as the hungry undead and Austin took to the rooftops, bow in hand raining vengeance on the streets of undeath'
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:59 pm

Can I please have a warning before more Drunes in future please, I need to make sureI've got the waterproof keyboard out because of the buckets of drool and tears of joy fom looking at them - heart renderingly beautiful :)
Aka Dave
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. Tim, I spoke with Seb and he is going to try to fix the bow-drunes.

While the following are not MM models, I figured I would share them with you guys. Let me know which non-MM model and paintjob you like the best:

"Barbarian Dude"

[img]

A McVey Studio model -

[img]
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:35 am

A few more Tarvax pictures for you guys:

Tarvax Warrior - Raackanasck

Tarvax Warrior - Piraack (albino minotaur)

[img]
AndyS

Postby AndyS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 am

I have painted Verthar Bearclaw and guess what? He has stripey trousers! He would fit well in darklands I think. Not painted my barbarian dudes yet. Which is best? Verthar because of the freehand on the axe I think.
Wyrd bið ful aræd
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 am

Impressive skills as usual. Have to admit however that I'm not a fan of Bohun's style. With the exception of Mjagnir I have preferred Seb's work from all you have posted. I found some of the Tarvax especially to be a bit too glaring, if that makes sense. Top notch workmanship regardless. :-)
As I always say. At the end of the day.................it goes dark :-)
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:48 am

I hear you, Andy. But I must tell you - Bohun is an utter master. Look at his freehand work. Look at the tiny and beautiful flowing tattoos on the barbarian dude's back, arms and legs. I see barbarian dudes all of the time on CMON - none so far has exhibited the amazing freehand work and realistic skin color variation that Bohun's dude shows.

I should also note that the pics of Bohun's models are a bit deceptive - they are not nearly as glaring when they are in your hand as they are in the pictures.

Lastly, there is a reason why Bohun is ranked number one on CMON - the guy is a beast. Not only has he mastered all of the traditional painting techniques, but I am sure that he could paint a beautiful, scenic landscape on canvas if you asked him to. The difference between many lesser talents and the great model painters like Bohun is that the lesser talents have mastered all of the tricks of the trade in shading, color blending, and tiny detail painting that generally follows the details of the sculpt. Painters of the highest caliber, like Bohun, have not only mastered those skills but are also amazingly talented freehand painters/drawers in their own right. Their freehand skills allow them to add new and very realistic details to a sculpt that enhance the sculpt beyond its original dimensions. Bohun shows these skills in all of the freehand patterns and textures that he adds to his figures. You know that you are at the top of your game when other amazing painters, like Nakatan, acknowledge and respect your painting skills. Even Stephane Simone, who has sculpted many of MM's models, sent me an e-mail saying that he was excited about Bohun painting some of his models. That is truly a compliment.

I absolutely love both Bohun's and Seb's work, and I am very, very excited about them painting my KS order. I can't wait to see Seb's Trolls and Dyndraigs. I can't wait to see Bohun's Angelcynn and Khthones. Imagine Bohun painting Roberto's hydra! Holy crap, I am getting excited just thinking about it. And what about Seb painting Angrislaug? Amazing! One day, I will put together a large Darklands game with Bohun and Seb painted armies duking it out. Now that will be a sight to behold! I will have to take pictures!
AndyS

Postby AndyS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:39 am

Seems like Seb will be too busy to paint the studio models. You keep these guys permanently occupied!
Wyrd bið ful aræd
grefven

Postby grefven » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:58 am

The Tarvax figures look just amazing. Raack* looks great because of the very contrasting colours that really make the miniature stand out. Pir* looks also totally epic and the albino take on it, and it is really interesting despite the limited colours. Top notch stuff for sure.
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:21 am

Don't get me wrong. I fully appreciate and respect the level of skill he possesses and can only dream of recreating the same level of artistry. I can't wait, though, to see Seb's work on Trolls and Brythoniad. They are going to make me drool, I have no doubt :-)
Endor

Postby Endor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Fabulous stuff all of it - Thanks for sharing Sorn!

Bloodmaw is my favourite. I didn't really like that model, now I just love it. Simply beautiful in its terrible-ness!
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 am

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Bow Drune 4 -

Bow-Drune 5 - Champion

Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am

Ryan, what did I say about warning me?! I now need to go and get a new keyboard :(

Seriosuly though, the whole unit look spectacular, I can see why you get the commisions done, they really are works of art
Aka Dave
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here are a few more pics for you:

Here's Kernour - the shaman/priest of the Ysian kindred

[img]
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:21 am

Thanks for all of the responses. I read them all and appreciate the kind words.

Here's the final Tarvax - the Banner Bearer!

grefven

Postby grefven » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:44 am

These tarvax look amazing, and I am sure that they will look great lined up. :) This last one looks really good colour wise.
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 am

Thanks, guys. Here are the latest Bohun models-

Beowa - Human Form

Beowa - Bear Form

Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:26 am

That pair are magnificent, I was thiking they could do do with a different colour on the leather to make it stand out from the fur, but thats the coulour it would be, and the more I look at it, the less it seems to be missing something and the more it just seems to be awesomely realistic :)
Aka Dave
grefven

Postby grefven » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Great stuff, but I do agree with that the leather sorta disappears in the colour of the fur. I love the miniatures as solo figures. I don't think they look just as good in human form going into bear-form. There are way too many details that don't "make sense" Some of the clothing is torn to pieces while other are not, etc. Looking at them like that, it doesn't make sense. Looking at them as individual figures, they are great. :)
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 am

Seb's Blunt-Claw! The female corpse on this model is mesmerizingly grotesque.

wrinklestiltskin

Postby wrinklestiltskin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:06 am

These miniatures are incredible. I've seen some of these on CMON, and had stored them for future reference. Nice to see more of your painting.
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks for the kind words guys. Those posts make me want to keep sharing with you guys.

Here's Bohun's Kraan-

[img]
Azhrarn

Postby Azhrarn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 am

He's gorgeous. :D
Bohuns extreme highlights really work well on metal surfaces it seems, and the blue and red accents to individual plates really work well.
War Beckons, and I Answer
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 am

beautiful.. thank you!
AndyS

Postby AndyS » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 am

A really good job on the face and shield.
Wyrd bið ful aræd
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:40 am

I am very happy that you guys are enjoying taking a look at my collection. It is good to see so many kindred souls that appreciate the same things I do.

Here are a few more Bohun pics:

Aanchuth

Brunchaath

AndyS

Postby AndyS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:17 am

They look nice. Like something John Blanche was doing in the 80's.
Wyrd bið ful aræd
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:27 am

Thanks for the kind words. I do intend on taking pictures of a diorama having multiple of the models at some point to post, but I will have to postpone that until my basement renovation is done.

Here are a few more models painted by Seb:

Mawdred-

Carrowek on Horse -

[img]
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 am

breathtaking as always.
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 am

Given that you guys are on the MM forums, you all are highly likely to be aware of the next MM kickstarter, which was launched on Monday of this week. However, on the off-chance that you are not, you can find it at the following link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mie ... st-edition
razormage

Postby razormage » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm

I have to revise my previously revealed favorite model. Mawdred is just simply amazing, and Carrowek's even better...
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Haven't checkin this thread in a while

:shock:

:o

You've been a busy bunny!

Mawdred looks great - I love the tattoo work Seb is doing on the Drunes.
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Here's Bohun's Daachuch-

[img]
Aniku

Postby Aniku » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:30 am

As always, wath your gallery is truly inspirational and a real pleasure.

There are too many things to learnt with your paints work.

I really love your gold metals.

Many thanks.

Keep painting!

Bye!
grefven

Postby grefven » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:47 am

Pretty dang awesome. :)
Sorn

Postby Sorn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:54 am

Thanks, guys. I thought I would share with you guys a few of my other models before getting back to the MM models. These were painted by Alexi-Z. They are mainly reaper models with a few Dark Sword and GW models. Please let me know who your favorite painter is: (1) Bohun; (2) Seb; or (3) Alexi-Z.

Aniku

Postby Aniku » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:44 pm

That is a trully awesome group of minatures.

I find something each time I watch the pics.

Keep painting!!!

Bye
beefknee

Postby beefknee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Seb would be my favorite. This is not saying that the others are any worse, they obviously are amazing but I prefer Sebs style.
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah, Seb is definately still on top for me, I prefer Alexi's style over Bohun's but he has the greater skill.

Return to “Finished Models Gallery”