Ysians:
Battlehost
Carrowek mount and foot
Annik of carn wrach, battle-drune on foot
Kernuor, seer-drune on karnun-beast
Jowan and hounds of carn dhu, hound-master and drune-hounds unit
Goaders of ker-ys, goad-drune unit
Corruptors of kraozon, brute-corruptor unit

Payday has arrived and I'm eager to order some more goodies. I was thinking of choosing one of these three orders:

Kerazek, Augur-Drune on Foot
The Terror of Fortriu, Chimaera
Flame Template

Kerazek, Augur-Drune on Foot
Shadows of Carn Bran, Shadow-Drune Unit (5x warriors w cmd)
Ungefelic, Mantichora

Infernii (Dis) Battlehost

What do you guys recommend? Anything else? Thought process is: I love the Chimaera, I like the shadow drunes and really like the mantichora, I love the Infernii and could be handy having two Kindreds for potential demos when I've gotten to grips with the rules a bit better.

Not huge on the Abhorrent models, and not in a rush to pick up the Melusines as I've heard around that they may be getting a cheeky resculpt in the future. Let me know your thoughts anyhow :)
cornishlee

Re: Help Choosing Next Order

Postby cornishlee » Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am

I love the Chimaera and Manticore sculpts as well and plan on picking them up at some point (and am also put off the current Melusine sculpts, despite how devastating the unit can be).

As far as shadow drunes go, I'm more interested in the rogue drunes, which can't be far off now (although I'd like to see stats before commiting).

Finally, I'm a proud owner of two kindreds (Ysians & Albainn). Not only does this give me more variety - in play and in collecting - but, as you say, it means I have the potential to introduce the game to others and so hope to build the playerbase (which can only be a good thing for me and everyone else playing the game).

So, I guess my order of preference would be:

1. Infernii Battlehost
2. Chimaera
3. Manticore & Shadow drunes

Ultimately though - and this is an important point - it's up to you. I normally avoid posting in recomendation threads like this because we're all different and what I'd want is almost certainly different to what you want. It's Monday morning, though, so I'm making an exception.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 am

Byron,

The way I see it you have two choices...

1) Build musters from the Kindreds you want to use that you feel would be a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield, and then buy the models that you are short of to suit the Muster..

2) Buy the models that you like the look of and would enjoy building and painting..

When I first got into Darklands, I was sold on the Anglcynn sculpts I just loved the look of the Werwulfas, so I bought them...

I then started to look more into the game and into the individual Kindred musters, and started to build Musters from other kindreds that I thought would be good to take to the battlefield, I then started to buy models to suit..

So it's really a combination of the two..

Buy want you want to buy because you like the look of it, and think about how you would field it and what with, then buy accordingly...

The most important thing is that it shouldn't become a clinical decision, go with your heart and take it to the Battlefield...
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 am

cornishlee wrote:I love the Chimaera and Manticore sculpts as well and plan on picking them up at some point (and am also put off the current Melusine sculpts, despite how devastating the unit can be).

As far as shadow drunes go, I'm more interested in the rogue drunes, which can't be far off now (although I'd like to see stats before commiting).

Finally, I'm a proud owner of two kindreds (Ysians & Albainn). Not only does this give me more variety - in play and in collecting - but, as you say, it means I have the potential to introduce the game to others and so hope to build the playerbase (which can only be a good thing for me and everyone else playing the game).

So, I guess my order of preference would be:

1. Infernii Battlehost
2. Chimaera
3. Manticore & Shadow drunes

Ultimately though - and this is an important point - it's up to you. I normally avoid posting in recomendation threads like this because we're all different and what I'd want is almost certainly different to what you want. It's Monday morning, though, so I'm making an exception.

Ooh ok I didn't know the Rogue Drunes were on their way soonish. It'll defo be between the Infernii and Chimaera then!
I just wanted to see what people's opinions are. I know ultimately I'll do what I want to do, but as I was pretty much split evenly between the three (now not so much), it's always helpful to get others' insights!

Brightblade wrote:Byron,

The way I see it you have two choices...

1) Build musters from the Kindreds you want to use that you feel would be a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield, and then buy the models that you are short of to suit the Muster..

2) Buy the models that you like the look of and would enjoy building and painting..

When I first got into Darklands, I was sold on the Anglcynn sculpts I just loved the look of the Werwulfas, so I bought them...

I then started to look more into the game and into the individual Kindred musters, and started to build Musters from other kindreds that I thought would be good to take to the battlefield, I then started to buy models to suit..

So it's really a combination of the two..

Buy want you want to buy because you like the look of it, and think about how you would field it and what with, then buy accordingly...

The most important thing is that it shouldn't become a clinical decision, go with your heart and take it to the Battlefield...

I primarily chose Ysians for the aesthetic of the brutes and ax drunes, but it was always a tight decision between them and the Infernii. As I'm still incredibly new to the game, I'm basing my purchases on what excites me the most - big, cool-ass monsters. Once I've had a number of games under my belt I'll be trying to figure out more competitive lists etc.

I only put this post up because I really couldn't decide. I feel that I want the Infernii as they're gorgeous and would be good to have a second kindred to demo etc, but I should actually focus on just the one kindred first as I'm still learning etc. I like hearing people's opinions, especially when I'm so unsure myself!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 28, 2019 10:27 am

I wouldn't bank on the Rogue-Drunes any time soon... but bear in mind you can proxy Bow-Drunes as them of course.

As I always say, go with what you think looks cool! The Infernii are definitely nasty on the battlefield too...

Cheers
Rob
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 am

Rob Lane wrote:I wouldn't bank on the Rogue-Drunes any time soon... but bear in mind you can proxy Bow-Drunes as them of course.

As I always say, go with what you think looks cool! The Infernii are definitely nasty on the battlefield too...

Cheers
Rob

Don't worry, not banking on anything! Just trying to find ways to limit the options I have running through my head. I'm definitely leaning towards Infernii to help try demo up a little bit. Maybe next month I'll pick up the Chimaera
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue May 28, 2019 11:01 am

My thought would be what will assist you in being able to play the game if you are a player? If two options are equally valid then what looks the coolest and calls you to paint it the most? I'm struggling at the minute with painting as I'm having a mental block so want something to get me back into the groove.

Alternatively if you're a painter pick what you want to paint the most :)
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Tue May 28, 2019 11:14 am

Rob Lane wrote:I wouldn't bank on the Rogue-Drunes any time soon... but bear in mind you can proxy Bow-Drunes as them of course.

I was just about to say 'don't take my word for it' when I saw Rob had already replied!

Rob - where can I find the stats for the rogue drunes? Without that I can't really sub anything.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 28, 2019 11:23 am

cornishlee wrote:

I was just about to say 'don't take my word for it' when I saw Rob had already replied!

Rob - where can I find the stats for the rogue drunes? Without that I can't really sub anything.

It's actually the Shadow-Drune profile with bows - that simple really...

Cheers
Rob
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Cheers, Rob. Same gold cost, too?

Lee.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm

cornishlee wrote:Cheers, Rob. Same gold cost, too?

Lee.

Bit more I think, can't remember. It's in the Ysian muster.

Cheers
Rob
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Tue May 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Well,

I went for it and ordered the Infernii battlehost!
Will hopefully manage to get some demos done once I’ve fully/ partially gotten to grips with the rules!

Chimaera will come next month ;)
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Tue May 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
cornishlee wrote:Cheers, Rob. Same gold cost, too?

Lee.

Bit more I think, can't remember. It's in the Ysian muster.

Cheers
Rob

In version 1.27 (the one currently downloadable from the website)? If so, I must be blind or stupid (the second of which is certainly possible).
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 pm

cornishlee wrote:In version 1.27 (the one currently downloadable from the website)? If so, I must be blind or stupid (the second of which is certainly possible).

No worries!

Go to the Shadow-Drune profile; purchase a Drune-Bow for each one in the unit. Hey presto! They're now Rogue-Drunes.

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue May 28, 2019 3:53 pm

KingTiddles wrote:Well,

Will hopefully manage to get some demos done once I’ve fully/ partially gotten to grips with the rules!

Hopefully you'll get them and build them in time for our Gaming Day at Rugeley..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
KingTiddles

Postby KingTiddles » Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Brightblade wrote:
KingTiddles wrote:Well,

Hopefully you'll get them and build them in time for our Gaming Day at Rugeley..

Will probably bring along my Ysians, hopeing to get a 1.5k list close to painted by then! If they've arrived and I've had time to wash and build, I'll bring the Infernii along too :)
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Tue May 28, 2019 5:15 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
cornishlee wrote:In version 1.27 (the one currently downloadable from the website)? If so, I must be blind or stupid (the second of which is certainly possible).

No worries!

Go to the Shadow-Drune profile; purchase a Drune-Bow for each one in the unit. Hey presto! They're now Rogue-Drunes.

Cheers
Rob

Fantastic! Thanks, Rob. Something else for me to play with.

Return to “Other Topics”