Tell me about your Kindreds

Anything unrelated to any of the other forums
CountCrushmore

Tell me about your Kindreds

Postby CountCrushmore » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 pm

Out of curiosity - I would like to know what Kindreds you are calling your own, and what has convinced you that this particular Kindred was the right choice for you.

I would like to know what´s:
- Your Primary Kindred
- Your Secondary Kindreds
- Your Tertiary Kindreds

to explain this:

The Primary Kindred is a sure thing for you, you increase your pledge once you know they are coming, even without seeing the pictures. You are getting more or less everything for them in each Kickstarter, several Hosts, and all the Exclusives that you are able to afford. Multiple votes per Person for the Primary Kindred.

The Secondary Kindreds are still dear to your heart, but if you are forced to choose you will choose in favour of the Primary Kindred. You will still get most of their Miniatures, but they take second seat. Multiple votes per Person for the Secondary Kindreds.

The Tertiary Kindreds are those that you didn´t intend to pick up at first, but you´ve been drawn in (maybe a particular Realm of the Kindred). You won´t get much of their range, but maybe some units of that chosen Realm. Multiple votes per Person for the Tertiary Kindreds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to keep this first post updated, thats why I am going to seperate my own answer to keep this list uncluttered.

PRIMARY KINDRED:
- Byzantii [3]
- Érainn [3]
- Atalantes [3]
- Brythoniaid [3]
- Angelcynn [3]
- Infernii [3]
- Jutes [3]
- Norse [3]
- Fomoraic [2]
- Kthones [2]
- Ysians [2]
- Vras [1]
- Albainn[1]

SECONDARY KINDREDs:
- Infernii [2]
- Angelcynn [4]
- Ysians [1]
- Fomoraic [3]
- Kthones [1]
- Jutes [2]
- Byzantii [4]
- Albainn[1]
- Brythoniaid [1]
- Kthones [2]
- Vras [1]
- Norse [1]

TERTIARY KINDREDS:
- Albainn[2]
- Fomoraic [1]
- Kthones [1]
- Brythoniaid [1]
- Érainn [2]
- Byzantii [1]
- Atalantes [1]

//UPDATED 19.03.2016
Last edited by CountCrushmore on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
CountCrushmore

Re: Tell me about your Kindreds

Postby CountCrushmore » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Now here is how I imagined this Thread to work:

What is your Primary Kindred?
- Byzantii
Why do they hold a special place in your heart?
- I am a fan of all things Roman, and the Legionarius Miniatures were the best Roman looking Miniatures I have ever seen. That they have access to Scorpions, Dinosaurs and churchbell swinging Hippos was just icing on the cake, very delicious icing.

What is/are your Secondary Kindred/s?
- Infernii
Why do you like them and why are they one step behind your Primary choice?
- To be honest at first the only reason I considered them before the other kindreds was simply that they are attached to the Byzantii, but now I love them. Krull demands it - and their Background Story is superb, the "we act as Tools of war, bid our time and strike once the stars are right" stance they take, behaving like a tame puppet only to strangle the pupeteer as soon as they don´t have any use for him is realy great.

What is/are your Tertiary Kindred/s?
- Kthones
What do you like about them and what holds you back to collect them more toroughly?
- I love the Krokodar but I am no big fan of the Snakey and Lizard Realms. Don´t get me wrong, they are awesome miniatures, but just not for me. I love to see them painted, but fortunatly for my wallet I don´t feel the urge to collect them. So it will be mainly Krokod for the time being.

- Fomoraic
What do you like about them and what holds you back to collect them more toroughly?
I love the Background, the armoured (and unarmoured) Humans and most of the bigger Monsters. But when it comes to Goats (and Minotaurs) I take on Gologgs point of view: Like to see them, like to eat them, but I just don´t feel the urge to collect them. Still there is more in the Fomoraic that tempts me than there is in the Kthones. The Sronax and Walvax, the Warriors of Baalor, the Reivers - all of those will find a place in my collection and as soon as the watery realms come to shore, I think I will upgrade the Fomoraic from Tertiary to Secondary Kindred.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I would like to hear about your addiction - erm, passion ;D.
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Primary Kindred - Érainn

Why do they hold a special place in your heart? - my Irish ancestry kicked in and I knew that part of my blood had been missing from my wargaming.

Secondary Kindred - Ker-Ys

Why do you like them and why are they one step behind your Primary Kindred? - I wanted an opposing force for my Érainn and the reference to the 'piratical Kernowek' sealed the deal.

Tertiary Kindred - Albainn

What do you like about them and what holds you back to collect them more thoroughly? - the Oghurithne were too cool to pass up and I can ally with my Érainn. The only thing holding me back is finances!
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
Agelmar

Postby Agelmar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:08 am

Primary Kindred - Atlantes
I love the look of all of these models. I am always picking up the good humans in heavy armor and these guys really work for that. Also, who doesn't like huge automatons? I have all these models and some in multiples.

Secondary Kindreds - Fomoric and Kthones
Since I always like to have a big army of humans, I need to have an army of monsters to offset them and these two armies certainly caught my attention. I don't have any of the humans in Fomoric because I don't especially like the evil look on humans, but the rest of these are great. I pick and choose the best looking monsters from both of these armies.

Tertiary Kindreds - Brythoniaid
I love the look of the humans here, but I'm not sold on the monsters. If I had more disposable income, I'd have all the humans in this army.
greyknight

Postby greyknight » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:27 am

Primary Kindred - Brythoniaid

Why do they hold a special place in your heart? - Dragons, what else can be said. Brilliant dragon models and very interesting backstory of the Dragon kind and Christianity.

Secondary Kindred - Angelcynn/ Jutes

Why do you like them and why are they one step behind your Primary Kindred? - Werewolves and Undead. The different Were-men are very interesting and cant wait to see some from all the Realms. The two also ally together.

Tertiary Kindred - Erainn/ Albiann/ Byzanti

What do you like about them and what holds you back to collect them more thoroughly? - The first two because they are Celts, have treemen, and Giants. They can also ally together and somewhat with the Brythoniaid. Byzanti because they are Roman and always wanted a Roman army. These will be the smallest because of finances for a good long while.
socius

Postby socius » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:35 am

Primary Kindred - Angelcynn

Why do they hold a special place in your heart? - I started to collect the Angelcynn with the first kickstarter and the reason was the concept of the duguth. I love the style of early medieval and ofcause the wolves. At the point the superb sculpts of the duguth arrived me, I dind know any borders.

Secondary Kindred - Byzanti/Infernii

Why do you like them and why are they one step behind your Primary Kindred? - When I collect miniatures I whant to play with them. So I surched for a secount kindred. At the secound Kickstarter I saw concepts of Legionaries and I saw Marlacant and the Info: You can play them in one host. And I thought I can play Roman Legionaries, Deamons, medieval Wariiors and Werewolves in one game? AMASING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rick_Boer

Postby Rick_Boer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 pm

What are your Primary Kindreds?
- Byzantii
- Érainn
- Fomoraic
- Infernii
- Jutes
- Norse
Byzantii: Romans + Demons? Yeah, I couldn't resist and got way to much since First Edition
Érainn: Treemen and other amazing models have me getting everything for them aswell
Fomoraic: By far the biggest collection because of all the models that were already available in World of War, can't stop collecting them now!
Infernii: See Byzantii, and I knew I was lost when I got Krull many years back
Jutes: Undead and bugs? There's nothing else to say...
Norse: Loved the trolls and then Hrudinn was reached as a stretchgoal...Again, never looked back

What is/are your Secondary Kindreds?
- Anglecynn (Werewolves only)
- Albainn (Oghurithne only)
- Brythoniaid (Dragons only)
- Khthones (Krokodar, Savrár, Liskar)
- Vras

These are my "themed" hosts, it's my way of trying to say I'm not focussing on as many kindreds as I did in the first kickstarters...But it's not helping much, monsters can be used in these lists after all. It just means I don't get as many of the infantry units.
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts - very interesting and a very broad distribution of the different Kindreds. As far as I can see every Kindred was mentioned at least once.

@Alex: Wow, that was a surprise - you like the Errain? I didn´t see that coming ;D. I´ve made that Ysians, I think to list the different Realms would make the list confusing, I hope that is OK for you all, or should I list the seperate Realms too?

@Rick: That´s a whole lot of Primary Kindreds ;D. I had thought that every one would list only one Kindred, to make the numbers clearer at the end. Is there no favourite that you would choose if you were forced to pick only one? For the time being I´ve counted all of them in, but I can change that if you want me to.

Great to hear what has brought you to your decisions and how different those decisions turn out. I want to hear more - so to say it with the words of an old and wise man:

Wise old Man wrote:"Come on Lurkers!"

;D
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:43 am

@Count - yeah, that's fine by me, I just use Ker-Ys as I like to give a nod to Kernow ;)
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:42 am

1st kindred: Brythoniaid because dragons are made of win they have awesome models and in game they can do a good selection of everything. The fluff is cool and the draconic allies are boss.

2nd kindred: byzantti I have always loved roman history and to have them with daemonic allies just hits a spot with me
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Rick_Boer

Postby Rick_Boer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Hehe, it was already hard enough to select the others as secondary and that was only coming from the fact that the hosts I'm collecting aren't the full kindred.
From the primary ones, I will get every and all models. But if I have to bring it down it will be Jutes and Byzantii/Infernii tied as those are the ones I will vote on first for concepts.
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Primary Kindreds: All of 'em

I'm completely enamored with Darklands. I see it as a decades-long pursuit if all goes well. Because it is not feasible to collect, paint, and play with all of the Kindreds at once and since the game itself uses the seasons, I focus on 2 kindreds each actual season.

For example, we are in the fleeting days of winter now and all winter it has been Albainn vs Jutes. However spring begins on March 20th with the equinox so I will switch to Brythoniaid vs Fomoroaic for 3 months and so on.

Terrain is a huge part of Darklands, so each season I randomly generate terrain for a Cataclysm table (4ft x 12ft) (i.e., 12 pieces) and work on that in addition to kindred terrain for my 2 focal kindreds.

For the record I originally started collecting Norse in 2013 through the first campaign with the intent to eventually make Erainn my primary kindred sight-unseen. But then I read the more complete rules, was inspired to study history, saw the amazing miniatures, and what a great community we have and how awesome the the guys at MM are and I was hooked.
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Primary Kindreds - Angelcynn and Norse - It was the Duguth picture in the first KS that first really got my attention, then the trolls meant I had to add Norse too :)

Secondary Kindreds - Byzantii, Fomoraic, Jutes - These are ones I have added owing to individual models really grabbing my attention (then expanded into full hosts), plus I love Roman legionaries...

Tertiary Kindreds - Erainn, Atalantes - These are now building up as well thanks to recent KS projects.
James Harding

Postby James Harding » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Primary - Khthones.
Picked them a while ago when we started playing and they seemed to be the only kindred that had models and no one else playing them!
They've got a different play style with essentially pure Monsterous infantry and as a slow/lazy painter that appeals!

Secondary/Tiertiary Kindreds?
Here I'm stuck.
Norse - I love the Hrafn stuff, I love Norse mythology. Initially I wasn't keen on the trolls, but they are growing on me!
Anglecynn - Love the infantry! (Bit odd as given my painting speed that I'd want more models!) Similar to the Norse, but I like the slightly more armoured look than the Norse. Plus the possibility to field a muster lead by Uthred or Penda!

Just not sure in which order - every week or two I convince myself it's one, but a few weeks later I change my mind to the other one!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:15 am

Khthones - MI faction, cool big kroks & snakes. Already got 2000g painted as models available. Probably a 2ndry faction per your definitions above as don't have to have everything but lots!

Erainn - purely due to Tim Fisher and his social media posts when play testing, bog beasts sucking people off and man-man slinger dudes. Oh and the bog beasts models are just such wow.probably a secondary faction but could be primary and depending on how the fimir look could become a primary faction.

Albainn - Scottish, I'm Scottish. Gomagg made me buy into this faction but I suspect they're becoming my primary faction as they have such a great range of options.
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:41 pm

What are your Primary Kindreds?
- Ysians
- Jutes
- Atalantes
- Infernii

- Ysians - I held off until recently because the stitched together monstrous side doesn't really speak to me. Then I saw them in person in February and the bits I liked became loved and the bits I weren't sure on became great too!
- Jutes - In for everything in these since day 1 art in New Kindreds. Everything about them is exactly what I wanted from an undead kindred.
- Atalantes - In for everything in these since day 1, hovered a bit when changing priorities but went back to them after seeing how big and chunky Talos is in real life.
- Infernii - Demon aesthetic spoke to me since I first saw Krull. Went all in on the Fiends and Malacant straight away. Background becoming more and more interesting too.

What is/are your Secondary Kindreds?
- Fomoraic - Should be primar but under your criteria they aren't. I'm not a fan of goats, but the Mammoth, Mammoth men, Reivers, Warriors of Baalor and Morraine stuff all really sit well with me. Possibly the Walvax too, still not sold yet though.
- Angelcynn - A few bits of saxon models to ally with the Jutes when required and to tie in the aesthetics.
- Byzantii - Will be going in a lot here on the humans and demi stuff but the Infernii are supreme :P
- Kthones - Love the Savrar and Krok stuff. Didn't like the other stuff as much as I thought I would.
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi everybody! Again I have to thank you for sharing your thoughts, it is a very interesting read, keep going!

@Rick: OK, duly noted - you are very dedicated, I like that!
@James: I´ve put them both into Secondary, you know as well as I that any Mierce related Resistance could only ever be temporary ;D.
@Dan: Another dedicated Miercenary - great to hear that, I will change the rules in a second, since it doesn´t seem to be a good Idea to limit the Primary vote if someone is into more than one kindred.
H3SO4

Postby H3SO4 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello everybody ,
Fore me my Primary Kindred is :
Ysian , because I "fell in love" with Euryalia and the Chimaera the day when I bought Scar-Scath at MAELSTROM Game , more the latter and Three-face can be then allied it is well . And I like the look “Keltoi” and that made me think has Celtos from I-kore game
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=602

Secondary Kindred is :
Brythoniaid , there it is simple it was for angrislaug, draiggoch of eryri , typhaggahw, gwyfern of ceredigion ,
aradae mawr, pencawrdraig of dugadw
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=632

Tertiary Kindred is :
Khthones , there it is an army by default but I like it nevertheless. I make this list because it enables me to recycle several references of snakes and crocodiles of another games which I do not play any more
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=642
Baragash

Postby Baragash » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:11 am

1) Bryth because dragons are the greatest thing ever.
2) Albainn because I think the idea of a "big guys" army of Giants and Ogres is awesome.
3) Infernii are third because once I get past dragons, demons are the next greatest thing ever.

After that it's a little less clear. I like Byzantii due to their connection to the infernii and the beasts they have (dinos, scorpions). I like Atalantes because of the aesthetics. I like Jutes because Undead. I like Fomoraic and Ysian as they have a bit of the WHF Chaos look about them and The Terror and the kracken may well be my top two favourite sculpts. After that I'm a bit *shrug*, there's bits of all the other kindreds I like, but none that make me "want that kindred right now".
demyse

Postby demyse » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi all, I thought it was about time I put something down here.
Primary faction, Infernii
I was introduced to darklands from a friend who I can only say has a lot of kindreds, so believe it or not my priority for picking one was ‘one he doesn’t have’. I started looking at sets around the time SH2 started and I absolutely loved the look of the demilegionnaires, so I went looking on the Mierce site at and saw Krull and knew this is what I needed.
There is something about demons that really appeals to me, I think it is the ex catholic in me that it appeals to, plus the fact there are various stages in the fall from grace that scratches an itch I didn’t know I had.

Secondary faction, Byzantii.
I realise this kind of goes hand in hand with the first, but I do consider them a separate army. I went for these guys as they were described to me as ‘all rounders’ so I thought as a noob it would be a safe bet.
Another reason I went for them is, and it may seem strange, they seem simple to paint. I am a strictly average painter, and having dudes in a uniform would make painting easier, well in my eyes anyway.

Tertiary faction, Anglecynn (kinda)
I will fill this in later when all bears becomes viable.
100mini18-103 mierce(68 other)
100mini19-69 mierce(91 other)
100mini20-216 mierce(517 other)

Return to “Other Topics”