Gaze and Skill Tests

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Brightblade

Gaze and Skill Tests

Postby Brightblade » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am

Simple question.

Can a Gazed at warrior use it's Commanders or Generals Skill, if within Command Range, to perform it's Skill Test?
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Gaze and Skill Tests

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 am

Brightblade wrote:Simple question.

Can a Gazed at warrior use it's Commanders or Generals Skill, if within Command Range, to perform it's Skill Test?

No.

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

Reason I ask, is during mine and Dayle's last game, he was playing a Jute Host, a small unit of Gazer's managed to take out my Kollosos in one hit because the Kollosos has such low skill and the gazing unit had such high Gaze Damage Dice, a Gast Cyning, a Deathbringer, and a unit of 3 Gasts joined as one unit took down the Kolollos in one go...

That seems far too easy...
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 am

Brightblade wrote:Reason I ask, is during mine and Dayle's last game, he was playing a Jute Host, a small unit of Gazer's managed to take out my Kollosos in one hit because the Kollosos has such low skill and the gazing unit had such high Gaze Damage Dice, a Gast Cyning, a Deathbringer, and a unit of 3 Gasts joined as one unit took down the Kolollos in one go...

Well there's your problem. Automata are immune to soul damage; they do not have souls. They cannot be harmed by anything that causes soul damage in any way.

You dingbats!

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 am

They gazed lovingly into its souless eyes and found nothing in return was given.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Brightblade wrote:Reason I ask, is during mine and Dayle's last game, he was playing a Jute Host, a small unit of Gazer's managed to take out my Kollosos in one hit because the Kollosos has such low skill and the gazing unit had such high Gaze Damage Dice, a Gast Cyning, a Deathbringer, and a unit of 3 Gasts joined as one unit took down the Kolollos in one go...

Well there's your problem. Automata are immune to soul damage; they do not have souls. They cannot be harmed by anything that causes soul damage in any way.

You dingbats!

Cheers
Rob

You mean I elevated my blood pressure for nothing.... duh!!!

Icchan

Postby Icchan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am

Low skills are pretty common for monsters though, so the issue still remains. I have also witnessed the absurd power of the Gast Cyning's and it's Gast's gaze power. So much more powerful than their melee attacks, that they don't really want to get into melee.
HughB

Postby HughB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:They gazed lovingly into its souless eyes and found nothing in return was given.

I almost wept at the poetry

Attempting to steer myself back on to topic, gazing is a stone cold reason to get some line of sight blocking terrain on the table.

I had it in my head that gazing was short ranged but I think thats cos dreaguth and ghasts also shriek which is might related.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04 am

Icchan wrote:Low skills are pretty common for monsters though, so the issue still remains. I have also witnessed the absurd power of the Gast Cyning's and it's Gast's gaze power. So much more powerful than their melee attacks, that they don't really want to get into melee.

To be honest, I'm not so worried about this as I've seen it through using the Jutes many times, and in my view it's a very different way of playing and I love to see variety in the way hosts are used: so it will probably stay the same.

Not everything should be a combat monster and combat monsters should have some kind of enemy that completely ignores their strengths, if that makes sense.

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:41 am

Allright, but what's the weakness of Gasts? With Gast Cyning they have extremely high Skill and Might, they're almost impossible to hit with ranged weapons and they pretty much devastate anything they gaze at.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Icchan wrote:Allright, but what's the weakness of Gasts? With Gast Cyning they have extremely high Skill and Might, they're almost impossible to hit with ranged weapons and they pretty much devastate anything they gaze at.

Large units of infantry.

Cheers
Rob
JediCat

Postby JediCat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am

Rob Lane wrote:
Icchan wrote:Allright, but what's the weakness of Gasts? With Gast Cyning they have extremely high Skill and Might, they're almost impossible to hit with ranged weapons and they pretty much devastate anything they gaze at.

Large units of infantry.

Cheers
Rob

Also known as "Group up and hit it 'till it dies!!!"
"Be as brutal and as sneaky and as nasty with your list as you wish - Darklands is not pink fluffy communist Warhammer" ~Rob Lane, May 17th, 2017
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Rob Lane wrote:

Large units of infantry.

Cheers
Rob

Really anything that can get behind them at that. High skill seems less great when your opponent is getting easy strikes :(

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”