Tomb Spiders' Coloring and Markings

Somewhere to discuss or ask questions about the lore surrounding the Lands of Darkness.
DrNO172000

Tomb Spiders' Coloring and Markings

Postby DrNO172000 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38 pm

As I am a bit obsessed with painting stuff via studio schemes or in an appropriate fluff manner I was wondering what the Tomb Spiders' coloring and markings looked like.

While I have a beautiful color picture of the ever hideous Gol Gul in my rulebook but not Guliant and pals and their type seems to live underground based on their name like the aforementioned Gol Gul (barrow spider) seems to live underground on his comfy pile of bones would their markings and coloring be similar to his?

While we are on this subject how are these spiders pressed to service? My understanding is they are not shifted Jutes like the various beetles. Is there a specific type of job within the overall Jute kingdoms that is required to go down and get them out? Are they somewhat tamed before being put into service? How careful do the Jutes have to be when wrangling these things, like do a bunch of people just die in the process of trying to muster the Tomb and Barrow Spiders? Or is there simply some sort of understanding between man and spider. I did notice that the Jutes seem to have rather large underground areas, I assume they are necropolises, based on the artwork.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Tomb Spiders' Coloring and Markings

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am

DrNO172000 wrote:As I am a bit obsessed with painting stuff via studio schemes or in an appropriate fluff manner I was wondering what the Tomb Spiders' coloring and markings looked like.

While I have a beautiful color picture of the ever hideous Gol Gul in my rulebook but not Guliant and pals and their type seems to live underground based on their name like the aforementioned Gol Gul (barrow spider) seems to live underground on his comfy pile of bones would their markings and coloring be similar to his?

Yes, pretty much... but there can always be variations!

DrNO172000 wrote:While we are on this subject how are these spiders pressed to service? My understanding is they are not shifted Jutes like the various beetles. Is there a specific type of job within the overall Jute kingdoms that is required to go down and get them out?

Not a specific job, but certainly the corpse-wakers can control them and bring them into service. Wizards did it!

DrNO172000 wrote:Are they somewhat tamed before being put into service? How careful do the Jutes have to be when wrangling these things, like do a bunch of people just die in the process of trying to muster the Tomb and Barrow Spiders? Or is there simply some sort of understanding between man and spider.

The corpse-wakers will control them with their minds: there's no real danger for them, but there certainly is for those that choose to go to where the spiders reside and disturb them. Generally speaking they are only used as a first line of defence in the depths of the barrows (from intruders) and in times of need. They do have a certain amount of intelligence, and they can be reasoned with by the corpse-wakers.

DrNO172000 wrote:I did notice that the Jutes seem to have rather large underground areas, I assume they are necropolises, based on the artwork.

Very much so, but not necropolises, they're barrows; huge underground caverns used for the dead in the chalky downs of southern England. Which do actually exist, although probably not as huge as I make them out to be ;o)

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Lore”