Compel (x) only & General command

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Tiern Gwitreg

Compel (x) only & General command

Postby Tiern Gwitreg » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer to Darklands, hailing from Brittany (but living near Paris) ; being christian, breton and breton-speaker, Brythoniaid was the logical choice for me (also Dragons) !

So while I await the minis and rulebook I bought, I have been fiddling with the muster rules and attempting to create army lists and so I happen to have questions.

When reading the Compel (x) only rules, I got confused. Does that mean it overrides any Compel rule the character has, or that I can only include units with the name x and Influenced units ?

For example, I have a Teyrn who has the rule Compel (Teulu) ; he gets a Ceffyldraig and gains the rule Compel (Teulu Marchog, Marchog) only. Does it mean that :
1/ He cannot compel Teulu but only Teulu Marchog and Marchog ? or
2/ He can only include Teulu Marchog and Marchog in his command ?

Second question about the special general command a general can muster ; does he have to follow the normal ubiquity rules (ie having at least one Mainstay unit) for mustering that command ?

Thanks in advance for answers ! :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Compel (x) only & General command

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer to Darklands, hailing from Brittany (but living near Paris) ; being christian, breton and breton-speaker, Brythoniaid was the logical choice for me (also Dragons) !

Welcome to Darklands!

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:So while I await the minis and rulebook I bought, I have been fiddling with the muster rules and attempting to create army lists and so I happen to have questions.

When reading the Compel (x) only rules, I got confused. Does that mean it overrides any Compel rule the character has, or that I can only include units with the name x and Influenced units ?

For example, I have a Teyrn who has the rule Compel (Teulu) ; he gets a Ceffyldraig and gains the rule Compel (Teulu Marchog, Marchog) only. Does it mean that :

Well, 2 is more correct than 1, but 1 is also correct.

Basically it means he can only Compel Teulu Marchog and Marchog - he cannot now compel Teulu on foot. When riding a Ceffyldraig, he's a cavalry commander!

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:Second question about the special general command a general can muster ; does he have to follow the normal ubiquity rules (ie having at least one Mainstay unit) for mustering that command ?

Thanks in advance for answers ! :)

No, the host's command doesn't have to have a Mainstay unit in it... it's basically somewhere to keep your general's sorcerers, advisers, messengers, etc. etc.

Cheers
Rob
Tiern Gwitreg

Postby Tiern Gwitreg » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks a lot !

Rob Lane wrote:
Tiern Gwitreg wrote:For example, I have a Teyrn who has the rule Compel (Teulu) ; he gets a Ceffyldraig and gains the rule Compel (Teulu Marchog, Marchog) only. Does it mean that :

Well, 2 is more correct than 1, but 1 is also correct.

Basically it means he can only Compel Teulu Marchog and Marchog - he cannot now compel Teulu on foot. When riding a Ceffyldraig, he's a cavalry commander!

So if I get it right, it means that the Teyrn on Ceffyldraig cannot compel Teulu on foot under his command, but to get his mandatory mainstay unit he can either compel a horsemen unit (Marchog or Teulu Marchog) or muster a Rhyfelwr unit or both. Am I correct ?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:So if I get it right, it means that the Teyrn on Ceffyldraig cannot compel Teulu on foot under his command, but to get his mandatory mainstay unit he can either compel a horsemen unit (Marchog or Teulu Marchog) or muster a Rhyfelwr unit or both. Am I correct ?

He can only get to his mainstay unit if he Compels a unit of Marchog or Teulu Marchog.

Cheers
Rob
Tiern Gwitreg

Postby Tiern Gwitreg » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:19 pm

So that means that until Brythoniaid gets horsemen, our unlucky mounted Teyrn cannot muster a command :roll: oh well

Thanks for all the precisions, it's much clearer now :)

One last question if I may ! Ieuan Longshore has the rule Compel (Rhyfelwr, Gairlom). Does that mean that, if I muster him as a commander in a Brythoniaid army, I can muster a unit of Gairlom (Albainn) in his command even if it's not the same kindred ? If yes, is that Gairlom unit considered part of the normal host or allied ? (For spending purposes when mustering)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 am

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:So that means that until Brythoniaid gets horsemen, our unlucky mounted Teyrn cannot muster a command :roll: oh well

One last question if I may ! Ieuan Longshore has the rule Compel (Rhyfelwr, Gairlom). Does that mean that, if I muster him as a commander in a Brythoniaid army, I can muster a unit of Gairlom (Albainn) in his command even if it's not the same kindred ? If yes, is that Gairlom unit considered part of the normal host or allied ? (For spending purposes when mustering)

Yes, and it is considered part of the normal host as he is a Brythoniaid commander.

Cheers
Rob
Tiern Gwitreg

Postby Tiern Gwitreg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Tiern Gwitreg wrote:So that means that until Brythoniaid gets horsemen, our unlucky mounted Teyrn cannot muster a command :roll: oh well

Yes, and it is considered part of the normal host as he is a Brythoniaid commander.

Cheers
Rob

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer to my numerous questions :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Tiern Gwitreg wrote:Thank you very much for taking the time to answer to my numerous questions :)

Don't be daft, it's my job to answer! You're very welcome.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”