Vicous Wounds/Effect Damage

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
DrNO172000

Vicous Wounds/Effect Damage

Postby DrNO172000 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Under rules 2.7.3.1.2 it states

"Any unit that has suffered a vicious wound from a weapon, armor element, artifact or invocation (or indeed by any other means) that causes effect damage suffers a continuous effect..."

The only definition I can find for what a vicious wounds are is under the Attack, Invoke, and Shoot actions. Does this mean that vicious wounds can only occur under these actions and the actions that follow their rules for dealing damage such as volley shoot, combat invoke, etc?

I ask because it seems a vicious wound is also a fated wound based on the definition, but I also know that unless something states it is a fated roll it is a luck roll. So how does this work for damage caused by effect tokens as they are not stated to be fate rolls?

In other words which of these examples is correct

Example A:

A unit with a fire continuous effect token fails its' check to remove the token. d10 fire damage is rolled resulting in a 9, a fire token is added to the unit and another wound die is rolled which also results in a 9 adding another token and another wound die being rolled. A zero is rolled, in all the unit added two tokens and took 18 damage.

Example B:

A unit with a fire continuous effect token fails its' check to remove the token. D10 fire damage is rolled resulting in a 9, the damage is resolved and the unit has taken 9 damage overall.

Thanks.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Vicous Wounds/Effect Damage

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:02 am

DrNO172000 wrote:Under rules 2.7.3.1.2 it states

"Any unit that has suffered a vicious wound from a weapon, armor element, artifact or invocation (or indeed by any other means) that causes effect damage suffers a continuous effect..."

The only definition I can find for what a vicious wounds are is under the Attack, Invoke, and Shoot actions. Does this mean that vicious wounds can only occur under these actions and the actions that follow their rules for dealing damage such as volley shoot, combat invoke, etc?

At the moment - it does say "by any other means".

DrNO172000 wrote:I ask because it seems a vicious wound is also a fated wound based on the definition, but I also know that unless something states it is a fated roll it is a luck roll. So how does this work for damage caused by effect tokens as they are not stated to be fate rolls?

Example A:

A unit with a fire continuous effect token fails its' check to remove the token. d10 fire damage is rolled resulting in a 9, a fire token is added to the unit and another wound die is rolled which also results in a 9 adding another token and another wound die being rolled. A zero is rolled, in all the unit added two tokens and took 18 damage.

Example B:

A unit with a fire continuous effect token fails its' check to remove the token. D10 fire damage is rolled resulting in a 9, the damage is resolved and the unit has taken 9 damage overall.

Thanks.

B. It does not state it can be a fate roll, so by definition it's a luck roll.

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
DrNO172000 wrote:Under rules 2.7.3.1.2 it states

At the moment - it does say "by any other means".

DrNO172000 wrote:I ask because it seems a vicious wound is also a fated wound based on the definition, but I also know that unless something states it is a fated roll it is a luck roll. So how does this work for damage caused by effect tokens as they are not stated to be fate rolls?

Example A:

Example B:

Thanks.

B. It does not state it can be a fate roll, so by definition it's a luck roll.

Cheers
Rob

Ok thanks, we have def been doing that wrong. That explains why I always run out of continuous effect tokens!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am

DrNO172000 wrote:Ok thanks, we have def been doing that wrong. That explains why I always run out of continuous effect tokens!

Always worth checking these things!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”