Darklands Weekend

A place to talk about Darklands Events!
cornishlee

Darklands Weekend

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm

EDIT: The event is now confirmed and will be going ahead on the 7th - 9th February. You can find all the details here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3ue4tg5ypajm ... d.pdf?dl=0

Original post below.

Hi all,

I've organised a gaming weekend in Silverstone for the last few years. This has been on a Saturday in January and has been focused on boardgames (actually for the solo boardgame community, although of course people are playing together at the event, not sat at their own tables in silence!).

Aside from the fact that Silverstone is convenient for me, the idea behind it was that it's about halfway through the year from the other get-together (UKGE) and in the darkest time of year, when there's not much else going on. Silverstone has the advantage of being very accessible by road (not so much by public transport) and has several B&Bs and hotels which are desperate for bookings at that time of year, while the track is off-season.

So, I'm wondering whether I could, in addition, organise a Darklands weekend this winter. Like with the solo event, it would be about halfway through the year from Coffa Tree. My idea would be to arrange a space (either a pub function room or the village hall, depending on numbers) for Friday afternoon through to Sunday. This would mean that everyone could play at least one 1500 game on the Friday and on the Sunday, with the potential for bigger games or more 1500 games on the Saturday.

So, would anyone be interested in doing this sometime in December/January/February?

If enough people are then I'll cost it up. As a guide, the first event I organised here was in the rec centre hall. We had 12-14 people, from memory, and I asked for contributions of £10. A few people chose top contribute a bit more but there was enough to cover the hall hire for the day and also left me with enough to stock the kitchen.

Lee.

EDIT:
NB: This is Now looking most likely to be the second half of February and will probably cost £30.

Expressions of interest:

Me
Scott (Brightblade)
Rob
Jonathan Chester
Ronnie + 1
Andy (Grizzle)
Dayle

If we hit ten people in the next week or two I'll book the venue.
Last edited by cornishlee on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brightblade

Re: Darklands Weekend

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm

This sounds good, Id be up for that, I think December and January might be headaches though, with Christmas and Post Christmas finances dictating ability to attend for the weekend, but February is a goer in my mind..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm up for it, definitely... any time is good for me really. Advance notice is all that is required!

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm up for this too, sounds like good fun!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Let me know I coulod look at it. I was also considering doing two events next year...
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Jonathan, I don't want to step on your toes. If you were already thinking about doing something like this then I'm happy to leave it to you.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 pm

If you want to do it its easier for me to plan around it mate :)
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm

ooohhh lots of juicy Darkland Events coming up, with Gotham to Samaria in October as well, we are spoilt..

I will try to organise a few Darklands Open Days next year also..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:56 am

OK, I've just spoken to someone at the rec centre and this would be a lot more expensive than I'd anticipated.

I suggested to them that we'd be looking at around a dozen people and I asked to book the hall from midday Friday to midday Sunday on a weekend in February (nothing specific, yet). Apparently the committee wanted to charge us an hourly rate including the nights, coming to around £600!

There's a possibility that, by agreeing to leave them the use of the kitchens, rather than have it ourselves, they may be willing to allows us to have it for around £300, which is around £30 each. I guess for three days of gaming that's still not much in the grand scheme of things, but it is three times more than I'd first suggested and I'm aware that people would also have to pay for travel, accommodation and food on top of that. So, is this still something that would interest people?
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 am

I'd still be up for it, we can look for an AirBnB house to rent out for the weekend, between maybe 6 of us that wouldn't be that much..

Food, we could all chip in for a Pizza Delivery or something...

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 am

Two of us here in sunny Stockport would still be up for it!
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:36 am

That makes four (including me).

I'm not sure airbnb's your best bet: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Silverstone/ ... pe=unknown

There's a Premier Inn about two miles south of the village and a Travel Lodge three miles north. Both of them would probably be cheaper. There are also a lot of BnBs in the village: https://www.silverstonevillage.org/find ... =22%3A9180

There are no events on at the track at that time of year, so things should be pretty cheap.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Travel Lodges can be booked pretty cheap well in advance and quite often do triple rooms..

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Ronnie wrote:Two of us here in sunny Stockport would still be up for it!

Ronnie,

You guys at Gotham & Samaria in October?

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Brightblade wrote:

Ronnie,

I'll be getting tickets on Saturday if they are still available.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Brightblade wrote:

Ronnie,

I'll be getting tickets on Saturday if they are still available.

Great, myself and Grizzle will be there, I'll be bringing all my Kindreds as will Grizzle, so if you want a few games of Darklands either with your own models or mine just seek us out..

Me (Scott Atkinson)
Grizzle (Andrew Parkinson)

We both know the rules pretty mush inside out so we can easily guide you through any elements that you are unsure of..

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Excellent. I'll definitely be up for that!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:00 pm

cornishlee wrote:OK, I've just spoken to someone at the rec centre and this would be a lot more expensive than I'd anticipated.

I suggested to them that we'd be looking at around a dozen people and I asked to book the hall from midday Friday to midday Sunday on a weekend in February (nothing specific, yet). Apparently the committee wanted to charge us an hourly rate including the nights, coming to around £600!

There's a possibility that, by agreeing to leave them the use of the kitchens, rather than have it ourselves, they may be willing to allows us to have it for around £300, which is around £30 each. I guess for three days of gaming that's still not much in the grand scheme of things, but it is three times more than I'd first suggested and I'm aware that people would also have to pay for travel, accommodation and food on top of that. So, is this still something that would interest people?

Mate for Warhammer 8th Edition events £35 was usual for a two day weekend event so £30 each for 10 people sent had!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Lee what is the intention of the weekend? Is it a bring your stuff and play or an organised event?
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:39 pm

More or less turn up and play. I don't anticipate there being any prizes or anything else but I could facilitate arranging matches. For example:

If you told me you planned on arriving at midday on Friday and were interested in playing a couple of 1500 point games that day, a couple of 2,500 point games on the Saturday and another 1500 point games on the Sunday but you didn't want to play Rob (because you play him too often and you'd like to play someone else) then I could look over the list of people coming and work out match ups based on that criteria.

So, you'd know beforehand that you had at least X number of games planned at X gold musters each day. I say 'at least' because in reality there's probably time for more than what I've outlined above - if we have the hall booked the way they're suggesting we can go on as long as we like and don't have to tidy up until the Sunday, so we only have to make time for setting up on Friday and food/drink breaks. So there'd probably be an opportunity to collar someone whose army you've liked the look of during the day, or who you fancy a rematch with, for another game (or more) in the evenings of Friday and Saturday.

I like the idea of that kind of informality but I can also see the potential downsides (i.e. waiting around for your opponent to finish their game) so if the consensus was for something more formal, with fixed start and end times, then I could arrange that instead. My intention is that it should be a friendly and welcoming event rather than a competitive one, if I have to choose. This is why I chose the word 'weekend' rather than 'tournament'.

People would need to bring some terrain, in addition to their armies. Chris has a lot that he might be happy for us to use but even between us, there's no way that we'd be able to furnish all the tables.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Travelodge is pretty cheap, a 3 bedroom room for 2 night is just over 70 quid.. £23 each between 3 people..

[url]https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/185/Towcester-Silverstone-hotel?checkIn=21/02/2020&checkOut=23/02/2020&rooms[0][adults]=3&rooms[0][children]=0[/url]

Or the Premier Inn for 2 twin rooms for 4 people is just over 120 quid.. £30 each between 4 people..

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/northamptonshire/silverstone/silverstone.html?ARRdd=21&ARRmm=02&ARRyyyy=2020&NIGHTS=2&ROOMS=2&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=TWIN&ADULT2=2&CHILD2=0&COT2=0&INTTYP2=TWIN&BRAND=PI

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:47 pm

If it's the end of February, there may be a chance that My Kickstarter has arrived by then, that's lot of high quality Terrain from Battle Systems that should fill a couple of tables along with stuff iv'e already got at home..

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Scott,

You could use the weekend to start the league off for those who are interested.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm

cornishlee wrote:More or less turn up and play. I don't anticipate there being any prizes or anything else but I could facilitate arranging matches. For example:

If you told me you planned on arriving at midday on Friday and were interested in playing a couple of 1500 point games that day, a couple of 2,500 point games on the Saturday and another 1500 point games on the Sunday but you didn't want to play Rob (because you play him too often and you'd like to play someone else) then I could look over the list of people coming and work out match ups based on that criteria.

So, you'd know beforehand that you had at least X number of games planned at X gold musters each day. I say 'at least' because in reality there's probably time for more than what I've outlined above - if we have the hall booked the way they're suggesting we can go on as long as we like and don't have to tidy up until the Sunday, so we only have to make time for setting up on Friday and food/drink breaks. So there'd probably be an opportunity to collar someone whose army you've liked the look of during the day, or who you fancy a rematch with, for another game (or more) in the evenings of Friday and Saturday.

I like the idea of that kind of informality but I can also see the potential downsides (i.e. waiting around for your opponent to finish their game) so if the consensus was for something more formal, with fixed start and end times, then I could arrange that instead. My intention is that it should be a friendly and welcoming event rather than a competitive one, if I have to choose. This is why I chose the word 'weekend' rather than 'tournament'.

People would need to bring some terrain, in addition to their armies. Chris has a lot that he might be happy for us to use but even between us, there's no way that we'd be able to furnish all the tables.

I think formal timings could help the flow of the days but it’s one of those. I can tell you from experience as an event organiser you’ll never be able to please/accommodate everyone so you’re best to pick what you want to do and run with it. I would be more than happy to come just need to make sure things don’t clash.

I’d advise you book things and put up a pack so people can see what they need to bring, is food included, the schedule of the days etc. Makes it easier as the attendees then can plan accordingly :)

If you need a hand give me a shout :)
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Five people, then. Thanks, Jonathan.

Regards food, I'm thinking that the easiest thing is to order a takeaway on the Friday and Saturday evenings (choice of curry - which always arrives late, burgers or Domino's) and to stretch your legs and walk to the village shop to buy snacks/sandwiches the rest of the time.

The event I organised there before, people chipped in and I went to the supermarket the day before and bought bread, meat, cheese and snacks. I could do that again but obviously we wouldn't have the use of the kitchen this time.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Ronnie wrote:Scott,

You could use the weekend to start the league off for those who are interested.

Good thinking.... ;) :D

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:30 pm

cornishlee wrote:Five people, then. Thanks, Jonathan.

Regards food, I'm thinking that the easiest thing is to order a takeaway on the Friday and Saturday evenings (choice of curry - which always arrives late, burgers or Domino's) and to stretch your legs and walk to the village shop to buy snacks/sandwiches the rest of the time.

The event I organised there before, people chipped in and I went to the supermarket the day before and bought bread, meat, cheese and snacks. I could do that again but obviously we wouldn't have the use of the kitchen this time.

You had me at Domino's... :lol:

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Lee,

I suggest you edit the first post of this thread and put up a list of potential attendees, it may well drum up more interest the more people see how many are going..

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Brightblade wrote:Lee,

I suggest you edit the first post of this thread and put up a list of potential attendees, it may well drum up more interest the more people see how many are going..

Good idea.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:07 pm

cornishlee wrote:

Good idea.

I’d also suggest putting the full details up so people can see that too :)
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:
cornishlee wrote:

Good idea.

I’d also suggest putting the full details up so people can see that too :)

As soon as there are details beyond a broad sketch (I think everything I've said further down the thread is already in the header, isn't it?) I'll completely change the first item in the thread to include them.
Dayle12

Postby Dayle12 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Yeah id probably be up for this
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:21 am

Lee,

You missed out Andy on the first page he's up for it, aka Grizzle, and I assume Chris will be in attendance, and now Dayle has said he'd be up for it, so that's 9 already...

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:22 am

Dayle12 wrote:Yeah id probably be up for this

Dayle,

Do you think Jo will be up and running with her Brythoniad by then?

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:23 am

Grizzle wrote:I'm up for this too, sounds like good fun!

Andy,

Do you reckon your mate who's just invested in the Fomoraic Kindred would be up for this? Be a great way for him to learn more about the game..

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am

I did, indeed, miss Andy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Right. I'll see about booking the venue and firming up plans.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 am

Lee,

Iv'e posted the event on the Facebook Gotham to Samaria page, so far three people on there are interested, I've just shared the dates with them so waiting to see if they suit.

I'll keep you updated.

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 am

Well, a change to dates already - apparently both those weekends are busy with the village panto. So, we're now looking at the weekend of 7th February (I though Valentine's day was probably a bad idea). That's provisionally booked. As soon as it's confirmed, I'll update this thread with full details.

Thanks for sharing it, Scott. I'm not on Facebook, so can't do anything there.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Lee,

4 People have registered their interest on Facebook; Put them all down so far as provisionals and I will discuss it with them in more detail when I see them at the Gotham event in October.

Byron Chatzis
Garry Burgess
Paul Mcelroy
Keiren Bradwell

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Cheers, Scott.
Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm

4 People have registered their interest on Facebook; Put them all down so far as provisionals and I will discuss it with them in more detail when I see them at the Gotham event in October.

Byron Chatzis
Garry Burgess
Paul Mcelroy
Keiren Bradwell

Hey Ho!

Paul Mcelroy is down as my +1 when it comes to the list of attendees
Dayle12

Postby Dayle12 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 pm

Brightblade wrote:

Dayle,

Can always ask her yourself? You live in the same house hahahahaha
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Dayle12 wrote:
Brightblade wrote:

Dayle,

This reads a bit weirdly as someone from not in the know lol
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:
Dayle12 wrote:
Brightblade wrote:
Dayle,

We live in a commune, and sit around camp fires and sing songs... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Brightblade wrote:
Jonathon Chester wrote:
Dayle12 wrote:

We live in a commune, and sit around camp fires and sing songs... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And sometimes I stand outside and knock at the window and pull faces.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Grizzle wrote:
Brightblade wrote:
Jonathon Chester wrote:

Why do I get the image of the banjo scene from Deliverance in my head at this lol
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Grizzle wrote:
Brightblade wrote:
Jonathon Chester wrote:

Having a vague idea what the relationship is between the others, I find this the weird bit.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

Scott is now Dayle's dad, as Scott's with Dayle's new mum, as Jo (who is with Dayle) is Scott's bird's daughter.

Andy is the unpaid court jester.

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:26 am

Rob Lane wrote:Scott is now Dayle's dad, as Scott's with Dayle's new mum, as Jo (who is with Dayle) is Scott's bird's daughter.

Cheers
Rob

Confused, you will be after the next episode of Soap.....

Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am

Brightblade wrote:
Rob Lane wrote:Scott is now Dayle's dad, as Scott's with Dayle's new mum, as Jo (who is with Dayle) is Scott's bird's daughter.

Cheers
Rob

Confused, you will be after the next episode of Soap.....

This feels like something from Jeremy Kyle!

Return to “Darklands Events”