Tonight, Byzantii v Khthones

A place to tell the world about your games of Darklands
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Tonight, Byzantii v Khthones

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 am

Right, I'm travelling down to Jon Chester's tonight and I'll try and do some kind of battle report. Been ages since I've done one.

My list:
KHTHONES

General: Sávrarchon
16 Sávrar
-> 3x Sávrakar
Krokod

Host's Command:
Sávrargós with Bleed
Sávrarch -> Ikon Warrior

Sávrarch - Ákontion
10x Sávrakontar
5x Sávrakontar
5x Sávrakontar

Sávrapolyonarch
6x Sávrapolyon -> 3x Megakontabolos
3x Szalamandra
Sávrargós with Lava Threads

That's it...

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Re: Tonight, Byzantii v Khthones

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:00 am

And in the blue corner:

Centurion
16 legionnaires veteran free command
Magnus infernum primus demonfire hellfire hell pit

Dromedus Secundus full armour
5 dromedus armour, free command

Auxilia Option - arcus, veteran
8 Auxilia Sagittarius veteran free command
8 Auxilia Sagittarius veteran free command - Influenced

Auxilia Option flagellum veteran bestiarius
5 Auxilia Bestiarius free command bound Tarask
2 Auxilia bestiarius bound 1 Hippoxus herald, flail bell

Auxilia Option ballistarius Option, veteran
3 ballistarius free command veteran bound 2 onager
2 Ballistarius free command veteran bound 1 onager flammis infernus
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Dayle12

Postby Dayle12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am

Looks like an interesting byzantii list, with the ever faithful terrifying tarask :) absolutely love that thing its literally a demonic killing machine
But question, if you can find 10 gold from somewhere would it be worth dropping demonfire and swapping with quicken to give your legionaiires an added punch throughout the game

Also looking forward to seeing how the game goes too :)
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Dayle12 wrote:Looks like an interesting byzantii list, with the ever faithful terrifying tarask :) absolutely love that thing its literally a demonic killing machine
But question, if you can find 10 gold from somewhere would it be worth dropping demonfire and swapping with quicken to give your legionaiires an added punch throughout the game

Also looking forward to seeing how the game goes too :)

Sadly don’t have any Demi legionnaires or 40mm to proxy but that will be a future iteration of the list as I ordered a battle host earlier today :D
Dayle12

Postby Dayle12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Ahh yeah thats a fair reason hahah
Ive found so far demilegionaiires butcher things, well mine have a thing for killing oghurithne and gairlorm, there also a good solid option for holding battlelines due to fearless
Im also having fair success with ignilegionaiires at the moment but i havent tried them against anything bigger than 60mm yet, got a feeling they might get squished
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:49 am

Right! I will be updating this shortly, with pics and everything.

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 am

Right then! Been a while since I've done this so excuse me... and my photographs.

We used a few proxies on both sides so please excuse that too!

Jon was the Defender and Rob was the Attacker; Rob added a patch of rocky ground and Jon swapped a hill for a field.

HOUR 1
Jon took the initiative and immediately Vado!ed the Tarask forward, then Charged the Sávrakontar who managed to cause a few wounds with a Hold and Shoot on the way in. The Tarask didn't do a great deal either, although he and the Bestiarii still won the combat after the Sávrakontar killed a couple of Bestiarii and wounded the Tarask further. The Sávrakontar rolled 00 for their Panic reaction, so stood where they were in defiance!

Retaining, Jon's Onager knocks out a Sávrakar and does 7 wounds on him and the unit, adding a few fire tokens for good measure.

I finally get to go and the Krokod moves forward, Roaring with little result against Jon but making sure two of my units become exulted (including the Sávrakontar engaged with the Tarask).

The Dromedus near the Krokod Shoot him with pila and spit too, causing three wounds and three corrosion effects (which will do nothing against the Krokod as he's in his underpants).

The Szalamandra Run towards the Dromedus and miss completely with every Fire Gobbet shot, although a handy 0" scatter ensures they do a wound and some fire damage on the unit.

Jon's wizard tries a couple of things but my Sávrargós Earths and stops a Demonfire. Hellfire does not and he Shrives successfully.

I unveil a Scouting unit of Sávrakontar who Run towards the Onager with fire pot, ensuring Jon's nearby Auxilia Sagittarii perform a Shoot reaction (killing one) but the Sávrakontar do nothing with their shots.

The other Auxilia shoot the Krokod, causing three wounds. My Sávrargós tried a Bleed invocation upon the Tarask but Jon stopped it with an Earth reaction. My plan unveiled (the Tarask would have been on difficult parries), I still decided to Bask the Sávrakontar in combat with it who caused a couple of wounds here and there.

The Hippoxus Moved forward to protect the Tarask.

Rob's Megakontabolos battery can only see the Dromedus and kill one, adding a couple more fire tokens to the mix.

Jon's Onager with fire pot chucked one at the Sávrakar, almost killing another.

The other Sávrargós then Basked the Szalamandra, who shifted forward and shot the Dromedus, killing one and adding another fire token.

My other Scouting Sávrakontar popped up in the same place and shot the Onager to no effect whatsoever. Bloody shooting at engines rules! Who invented them anyway?

HOUR 2
The Sávrakar failed their SKILL TEST for the fire effects and one died as a result, and Rob took the initiative.

The Krokod weighed up his options and Charged the Dromedus unit, murderising them until only the Dromedus Secundus remained, on five wounds left. The Secundus, being a stubborn git, passed his Panic reaction and prepared to die for his Legio.

Rob then attempted to Retain the Initiative with the Sávrakontar facing the Tarask, but failed; the Tarask, however, failed to take advantage of this and didn't kill them all, leaving one Sávrakontar on one wound and the Sávrarch with them on one wound. Amazingly, they stood again!

Jon Retained with the Auxilia Sagittarii near the Onager with fire pot and Engaged and Shot against the Scouting Sávrakontar, who died miserably except for one, who Fled, only to be Chased down by the Sagittarii, who then Engaged the other Sávrakontar.

The Szalamandra take the opportunity to Walk forward a little and burn up the Hippoxus rather successfully, causing a few wounds and adding a few fire tokens.

Fed up with this, the Bestiarii Vado! the Hippoxus...

...and get him to Charge into the Sávrar / Sávrakar, who put up a good fight; they lose the combat, but stand thanks to the Sávrarchon telling them to.

A bit of an exchange of fire ensues with little effect all around, and then the Szalamandra, having been Basked by the Sávrargós, Run into the rear of the Hippoxus and whilst they don't kill him they reduce his wounds substantially.

HOUR 3
After this I got fed up of taking photos so there aren't any more, and we were nearing the end of the night.

Jon got the initiative and killed the Sávrakontar facing the Tarask, whilst the Szalamandra finished off the Hippoxus after it passed its fire effect test.

Jon then popped off a lovely Hell Pit onto the Krokod's head, which caused a couple of wounds but nothing to trouble him.

The Krokod took a chance and Charged out of combat with the Dromedus Secundus into the Tarask, luckily suffering no more than a few wounds from Hell Pit and the Reflex Attack reactions of the Dromedus Secundus. The Krokod munched on the Tarask for breakfast, chomping him to bits with his big teeth and jaws.

At that point we called it - had things gone on, the Option / Bestiarii with the Hippoxus would have died, the Dromedus Secundus would have died, and my Sávrakontar would have died; so it was still close really, around 800 gold for me and around 600 for Jon, but a cracking game and as we were both still learning our respective hosts things were a little slow (and of course I was recording this).

All in all a good work out for both armies!

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Was a really fun game, look forward to receiving the Battle Host so more of those models will no longer need to be proxies :lol:
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Those Savrar look nice. ;)

Great report!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Glad you liked it Andy!

If there's more interest I'll do more battle reports.

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Got some more pictures of the game too

Icchan

Postby Icchan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Glad you liked it Andy!

If there's more interest I'll do more battle reports.

Cheers
Rob

Yes please. These are a great way to learn about the game.
antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:29 pm

indeed, very interesting and fun, learned things about units and armies I don't use or fight against, we need more!

Return to “Battle Reports”