Howdy from Texas

For players in the USA and Canada to introduce themselves.
razormage

Howdy from Texas

Postby razormage » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Ryan Smith, San Antonio, Texas. Eager for anyone else in the Lone Star State (or New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisania, Arkansas - you're all five+ hours away anyhow!)
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
Sacredroach

Re: Howdy from Texas

Postby Sacredroach » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Ryan, good to know! Craig here in Houston and I have 2 buddies also up for the game.
Dalthius

Postby Dalthius » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:54 am

Mike in Fort Worth, TX! Good to know there's at least a few Texans interested in Darklands.
Sacredroach

Postby Sacredroach » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:03 am

Yes indeed, Texas is well represented. I am also looking forward to foisting four of my six Quickstarter rules on friends...two definitely want to play and two do not yet realize that they want to play...
razormage

Postby razormage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 am

Craig, I'm going to be at Bayou Battles (the big Warhammer Fantasy GT in Houston) at the start of August. If you're willing to play a demo game with me, I might be able to talk the organizers into letting us commandeer a table for anyone who might be interested in watching! If nothing else, there's beer in it for you, as Bayou is one of my "drunken GTs" and by Saturday afternoon I'll be sharing with everyone around.
Give it a think; I'd love to convert some of the more active Warhammer players to this game, and Texas has what I think is the best GT tournament scene there is!
--Ryan Smith
Larabic

Postby Larabic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 am

Sacredroach wrote: two do not yet realize that they want to play...

Well said!
I'm your Huckleberry
razormage

Postby razormage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 am

Mike, nice to meet you! You do any other tabletop gaming, or are you an all-about-the-minis type of guy? I'm both, so either way works for me!
--Ryan Smith
bloodwars

Postby bloodwars » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

I go down to SA every now and then (and then i stop by houston to see family). I tend not to have free time in SA, but next time i'm down that way i'll say hi ;).
Dalthius

Postby Dalthius » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Razor: I play quite a bit. Just finished running a d20 Star Wars game, about to start running a Pathfinder game, and also playing a Pathfinder game. Also love board games. Haven't played a miniatures game in many years.
Sacredroach

Postby Sacredroach » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Ryan, that would be great! I'll look up the info on it as well...depending on who is involved I may be able to help convince them if that option. I used to run/own game stores in Houston during the last Millennium.

The big challenge will be for me to get a force or two painted by then. I already have 4 Melusines and a Brute with a square base done from before the KS, but will see about getting a Brythoniaid force done as well.

Very cool and thank you for the invite!
razormage

Postby razormage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Craig, It won't be an issue getting permission to do it if I've got an opponent - I've been on the Warhammer GT circuit for almost a decade and am one of the people that runs the San Antonio tournament. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be me playing against myself! I'll have similar problems getting a force painted in time, but if I've got the deadline I tend to get things done in time.
Mike, glad to have you back into tabletop gaming! I'm hoping this one really takes off and can make the headway that Privateer Press has, at least in San Antonio.
--Ryan Smith
bloodwars

Postby bloodwars » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 am

texas is good for wargames, but these figures cost too much to explode the way PP has, at least in the short term. if MM wants to make those kind of in roads, they'd need a cheaper starter box (even if it's just 2 factions with a warlord and a 5 man unit each). $150+ for a single person starter set is just a lot as far as buy in goes, quality aside.
Sacredroach

Postby Sacredroach » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 am

But you also have to look at who their target audience is...experienced wargamers. Most of us have been playing wargames for decades (old Rogue Trader here) and since the minis are a) expensive and b) resin it assumes that we are also likely older adults with years of painting and assembling kits under out belts. Probably a generalization, but I think they want to keep this small.

Mierce looks like they want to work at a steady pace...6-8 releases every 2-3 months. Slowly growing the game and keeping control of the quality. I suspect they are artists and hobbyists first, businessmen second...much like Adam Poots from Kingdom Death. And frankly, this is a fraternity/sorority I have no problems with joining.

Do I want it to grow? Yes.
Do I want Mierce to grow and release more stuff? Yes.

But a slow and steady pace is great for me.

Just my 2 cents.
Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 am

@Ryan, let me know if there's anything we can help with in terms of event support - drop me an email timfisher@{nospam]mierce-miniatures.com (remove the [ospam] ;0) )
Sacredroach

Postby Sacredroach » Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 am

Ryan, I have not forgotten about the plan, and have begun to work on Euraylia. I hope to have her and my remaining Melusines done by the time the Brute starter arrives.

I am also painting a Space Wolf force at the same time since my friends dragged me back into 40k...

It is only fair. I am getting them into Darklands. And the best part is comparing Finecast to Mierce. Naturally, there is NO comparison.
razormage

Postby razormage » Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Craig,
Sounds good! I'm currently finishing up a Vampire Counts army for Quake City Rumble in San Francisco, but once it's done I'm going to be turning my attention fully to Mierce stuff. I hope to have a decent warband painted up and ready to go by the time this happens! I wish we had a rules or army list preview so we could come up with a warband size! I have Brythoniaid and Fomoraic on their way (as well as Norse, but I don't think they'll be here in time), so you'll probably get to try one of those two. I do have a Shaaroc sitting on my shelf that I've been wanting to paint for some time now...

Tim,
Sounds even more good! Let me chat with the other TO for the Alamo GT, and shoot you an e-mail in the next week! You're on holiday now anyway, so focus on enjoying that!
--Ryan Smith
razormage

Postby razormage » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Sacredroach,
I'm done with the previously mentioned army, and am ready to start painting up Darklands stuff! What would you prefer to play against: Brythoniaid, Fomoriac, or Ysian Drunes? I'd offer Norse but I'm not 100% sure I will have them in time, much less get them painted.
--Ryan Smith
Sacredroach

Postby Sacredroach » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Well, all I will have is a small Ysian force...what is the dates for the convention?

I will be out of town from August 1-6, and my wife has a fundraiser on the evening of the 10th.

Let me know! I plan on starting on the Ax Drunes tonight or tomorrow.

Hope to actually have rules by then!
razormage

Postby razormage » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am

D'oh! It's the 2nd-4th, so you will sadly be gone!
It's probably for the best, though; this way Rob and Tim don't have to worry as much about rushing rules out, and I don't have to worry about the fact that the only thing I have painted is a partway Glaun. I'm suckering one of my friends here in San Antonio into learning it, and we'll definately be running demos at the Alamo GT in November. If we don't have rules by then, Mierce, I'll be a sad razormage!
--Ryan Smith
scadianforlife

Postby scadianforlife » Mon May 12, 2014 11:58 am

Howdy. I am going to go ahead and apologize for the threadomancy. Please don't stone me,

Howdy from College Station, home of the Aggies.

I just got Angrislaug and started painting over the weekend. My wife (she-allows-wargming) was really set on Krull, but when she saw Angrislaug in dry fit, she was hooked. We plan on getting a full nothing but Draig force.

She loves lizard, and I love fire breathing Draigs.
razormage

Postby razormage » Wed May 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Howdy! No such thing as Threadnomancy in an "Introduce yourself" topic! I shan't throw stones. Glad to see that there are more than four Texans on here now! I strongly recommend the Brythoniaid, as they're tons and tons of fun to paint.
If your schedule allows, Craig (SacredRoach) and I are going to be running Darklands demos on either Friday or Saturday night of the Bayou Battles Warhammer Indy GT in Houston on August 15th-17th. I'd love to meet up with you there if you can make the drive!
--Ryan Smith
scadianforlife

Postby scadianforlife » Thu May 15, 2014 2:23 am

Believe me, I would love to meet up with ya'll...Is that a weekend? My brother lives down in H-town. We can schedule a "trip to see our nephew."
Nemovonutopia

Postby Nemovonutopia » Sun May 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Howdy, I've started a jute army a little while ago and am excited to find other players in Texas. I live in Houston, hopefully some of y'all are still playing and could help me learn how.

Return to “USA/Canada”