Storage and Transport solutions

Anything unrelated to any of the other forums
Funkychef

Storage and Transport solutions

Postby Funkychef » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am

Hi all

I was just wondering, how are people (those of us who intend on gaming that is) planning on transporting our models around?

I think with the scale being slightly larger than normal I'm going to see how the infantry sized models fit in KR's half width 18 compartment 1/3 depth trays, and then have a full depth pick and pluck tray for monsterous infantry/ smaller monsters. Although given the base size custom cut trays designed for GW Imperial Guard Sentinals might well work too.

As for the larger monsters, I think they might be used for games at home and not make the away trips with me so often.

What do other people have in mind?
Aka Dave
bloodwars

Re: Storage and Transport solutions

Postby bloodwars » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 pm

battlefoam is the best hands down. they have a factory in the UK now, not sure on pricing...

if not that, sabol foam is second

KR foam is REALLY weak/flimsy.

since the value of the minis is so high, i'll probably do custom cut trays, but to save money i'll do GW size (vs BF size, it's about half the cost to lose like, 2"), and i'll order on black friday (25% off). - they have cheap GW size bags too (shield bags), which are a better deal with the pre-loaded foam (2 good 28mm type troop trays and a 4" pluck tray).

sabol pluck foam can support 8" tall models (2x 4" trays face to face) as can BF. BF can do 8" pre-cuts and iso trays too.
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm

True the foam from KR is, well more like foam, but I've never found that to be a problem, might be because I don't throw the cases around though and treat them with some respect lol

Interesting thoughts for larger models though, not come across Sabol before, might have a look. Never really been a fan of Battlefoam, have always found thier custom cuts to not quite be right for whats ment to go into them, but that might just be me.

Thanks for the info on Sabol though :)
Aka Dave
bloodwars

Postby bloodwars » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

well, i mean you can send them outlines or use their tray designer and stack boxes/circles etc on top of each other to make whatever shape or size you like. i don't really use their pre-designed trays. but a single GW tray that holds 9 rhinos and a dreadnought for $11 (now $13 @ 25% off). yes please.

the problem i have with KR is metal models. they deform the crap out of it, and the walls on the precut trays don't stop movement if you put them in a car. if you use pluck foam, the walls are thicker, and if you keep them in the cardboard boxes, it's okay. if you want to just stack foam on a shelf though or mix it into a bag with other things... it's not good for that. and the cardboard isn't a fan of water/rain. though KR doesn't make bulletproof backpack cases now...
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:53 pm

bloodwars wrote: though KR doesn't make bulletproof backpack cases now...

Doesn't tend to be something we need here in the UK ;)

I like the look of Sabol, but unfortunately they don't ship interntaionally and I'm less than inclined to use the Warstore (also explains why I'd not heard of them)

Ahh well, onwards to the next solution :)
Aka Dave
Mahrdol

Postby Mahrdol » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I have a few KR and Battlefoam cases. I prefer KR over battlefoam. I like the softer trays for normal sized miniature games. Not sure what I am going to do with Darklands. I have Typhaggahw all painted and put together and I have no idea if any trays would fit that beast. I hope Mierce comes out with their own custom solution.
asoshnev

Postby asoshnev » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

For transport, I just wrap them in paper towels and carefully pack up into a regular cardboard box. This is not WHFB - so only a few miniatures to pack up - and it seems to work OK so far.

It's a shame to store such minis in the box though. IKEA has several decent options:

Hemnes glass door cabinet - I have one like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50245665/
It seems very nice so far - pretty solid, real wood, and there is an option to put LED lights inside, which I'll maybe do sometime later.

Detolf glass display shelf - I got this one several years ago: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/
It's OK, but you get what you pay for. It's flimsy, not really dustproof, lighting is pretty poor (whatever you put on the top shelf will drop shadow onto the bottom shelves) and shelves are spaced too far for miniatures (even for Mjagnir-size miniatures). Still, better than to store them in the open shelf and/or in the box!
razormage

Postby razormage » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:28 pm

I've got two of the DETOLF glass-sided and am fond of them. They've got an overhead light nearby that's good enough to light them. Haven't figured out an easy way to add shelves, but will have to start soon! My WHFB armies go into a huge beast I built out of government excessed particle board bookcases.
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Ohh the Hemnes is a given, I need to build the new storage shevlves/ gaming bench first, then will be picking one up to sit in the corner, likely with my darklands pieces rotating through on display :)

Going to give KR pick and pluck foam a try for medium sized monsters like Ungefelic and Torku later this week when it arrives :)
Aka Dave
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:21 am

Personally I use Really Useful Boxes. For the bigger models, 9 litre boxes turned upside down with magnetic sheeting on the inside of the lid, so the magged models stick to the underside of the lid.
The bottom then becomes a container lid of sorts and fits snugly round the models.

The good thing is that MM minis aren't too heavy and the large bases provide a lot of grip so they don't slide much either.

Definitely a cheaper solution that foam, and I've never had any damage etc on Resin minis (Though Privateer Press metals were a different story, very foolish to try that)
leon_06

Postby leon_06 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:50 am

You can ask professional delivery companies to do it for you. I transported a science model using local delivery services in town. They facilitate me with packaging and storage in Mitchell.
Tim_09

Postby Tim_09 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:04 am

I would also recommend that if you will be using some kind of truck to move your items to storage, to be sure that the truck can pull in. We were using storage for our belongings while looking for a house, and the 18 wheeler moving truck could not make the turn into the storage in Vancouver, WA. Shop around and visit the locations rather than just looking online to better understand the set up before committing.

Return to “Other Topics”