Norse 750 Gold Host

For discussion of Norse hosts and their strategies and tactics
Esoba

Norse 750 Gold Host

Postby Esoba » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:56 pm

For potential demo (or short skirmish) games with a gold limit of 750, this is a Norse host I believe would be beneficial to use:

Steersman = 82 gold (Uncommon Ubiquity Unit)
This unit has a total constitution of 32 and total attack die (w/ primary weapon) of 5. This is your general/commander.

Troll Unit (3x Trolls) [w/ champion & champion weapon & armor upgraded only] = 267 gold (Uncommon Ubiquity Unit)
This unit has a total constitution of 141 and total attack die (w/ primary weapon) of 16. This is your primary meat shield.

Vore (Blood Maw) = 312 gold (Rare Ubiquity Unit)
This unit has a total constitution of 82 and total attack die (w/ primary weapon) of 4. This unit is wild so still will obey commands, and another meat shield that has a great special attack.

Gythja = 89 gold (Rare Ubiquity Unit)
This unit has a total constitution of 26 and total attack die (w/ primary spell) of 8. This is your sorcery unit (i.e. ranged unit)

Total Gold Cost = 750

My justification for this host is really two fold. First, it provides the standard punishment absorbing unit(s) with the trolls and Vore, while also providing a good ranged unit with Gythja. Also, Gythja's spells appear to be heavy hitters that can be cast 2x in the same turn. This host is also fairly mobile on the battlefield, even though they don't have a great pace, since the troll unit can act as your primary meat shield while the Vore flanks or locks up with an opposing beast/monstrous beast/etc... Your commander can come and reinforce as needed, and your sorcerer quickly burns units to the ground. Essentially, if I can use MMO vocabulary, this host seems a bit like a "tank and spank" host. Second, this host is a great example for a demo since it includes a commander, sorcerer, unit with a special attack (blood maw), and monstrous infantry unit with a champion. A person watching would get to see a lot of what Darklands has to offer from just this Kindred's turns. Please let me know what you think of this host and any places you think it could be improved upon.
Cincydooley

Re: Norse 750 Gold Host

Postby Cincydooley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:16 pm

I think it's a great host list; I'm still trying to figure out myself what the "appropriate" demo size is. My only concern with a 750 demo host is that if you want to demo it with another host that can highlight regular infantry (Angelcynns) you're going to end up with a lot more models on the board than you may want for a demo, considering the Angles presently don't have anything costed like Blood Maw. I think another problem you'll run into with this host list is that there really isn't any place to embed the Steersman, so he's probably just going to be running around by himself.

I think your head is totally in the right place with wanting to showcase a sorcerer and a monstrous creature, though. Just gotta figure out the right point value at which to do it.
Esoba

Re: Norse 750 Gold Host

Postby Esoba » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Cincydooley wrote:I think it's a great host list; I'm still trying to figure out myself what the "appropriate" demo size is. My only concern with a 750 demo host is that if you want to demo it with another host that can highlight regular infantry (Angelcynns) you're going to end up with a lot more models on the board than you may want for a demo, considering the Angles presently don't have anything costed like Blood Maw. I think another problem you'll run into with this host list is that there really isn't any place to embed the Steersman, so he's probably just going to be running around by himself.

I think your head is totally in the right place with wanting to showcase a sorcerer and a monstrous creature, though. Just gotta figure out the right point value at which to do it.

You are completely on point. I am working on an Angelcynn 750 gold host and it looks like it is going to consist of 11 minis. So that would be a total of 17 units on the board if it was Angelcynn vs. Norse. Definitely doable since the Angelcynn have smaller bases, but it might get crowded. I just wish I had all the units completed so I could test it out ;)

Return to “Norse”